Fall 2015 applicants for theatre/performance PhD

LadyeBird

Hi all. I'm sending you all lots of hope and positive energy! I wish I'd found this particular thread a month ago when I was at my worst part of the waiting process....so far lol. 

Any word on funding so far? I've gotten one definite funding offer and the other I'm still waiting to hear back from on funding. I'm so amped I'm ready to start looking for a place to live and stuff....so the waiting is IRRITATING me. Lol.

Updates on your situations? 

Edited by omidance

Seanpet: Welcome Seanpet! Same here. Haven't heard anything from UMD yet! (I applied for their MA in TAPS)

Mintbrad: Thank you! It all went well. Oh, and I also haven't heard anything from UCSD. I guess I'm also waitlisted as well?! 

Omidance: Welcome Omidance! But alas, I'm still in the waiting process. Hope the result comes sooner than later! 

How's everyone doing? 

I got so used to waiting that now I don't have any feeling left! I guess I got drained and it's a good thing? 

Still my fingers are crossed!

Edited by Mocha Earl

Hi Mocha - I applied for their PhD in TAPS. I check the application system about three or four times a day... it's probably a really bad habit to have. 

Haha! I'm just so glad I'm not the only one. We'll all just have to hang in there somehow. It's tough not knowing which direction you're going in...especially when I've been looking forward to this last round of school for so long. I'm so looking forward to being back in my element all the time, and hopefully for the rest of my life lol. I've had to work outside of my field (dance) for a few years now because adjunct teaching just doesn't pay the bills. So ready to get back into the swing of things and get that much closer to a full time tenure track position. 

Anybody else planning to teach? Or is that why we're all working towards PhDs in the arts? LOL

Decaf: Thanks for the welcome! I've enjoyed reading your posts. 

FYI: Haven't heard back about funding from Temple.

Hey folks! Sorry I've been off the boards for a while, it's been a little crazy around here.

MintBrad, I just accepted my offer from UCSD, and according to the department, so did the other 3 admitted students for this year. Sorry I don't have better news for you.

Welcome to all the newcomers! I can't wait to hear more results! I hope everyone is finding the perfect fit!

Omidance: I definitely am hoping to teach after I get my grubby pas on that PhD. Here's hoping there is an explosion of tenure track jobs in theatre and dance departments in exactly 5 years...

Bacchanalia, thanks for the update-- in some ways bad news is much better than no news, at least I can start thinking about plan B. I haven't heard from the department yet, which gives me some hope that one of the other three was waffling, but I'm not holding my breath. Still just waiting on Maryland -- fingers crossed!

Hi MintBrad- I still haven't heard anything from UMD yet either. I'm trying to prevent myself from thinking that the length of time is correlative to a positive decision. Basically, just because they haven't gotten back to me yet doesn't mean I did NOT get in. On the other hand... it does seem kind of late. I've seen that a few people have emailed POIs to inquire and heard back. I'm almost to the point that I'm considering doing that. But, I'll give it a little while.  

Bacchanalia: Thanks for the update! I haven't heard anything from UCSD after my interview, and now I can securely expecting a rejection letter from them than waiting anxiously about some faint hope. 

MintBrad, Seanpet: I got an acceptance letter via email from UMD today (funding is still up in the air). I applied to their MA program though. Maybe PhD's taking longer time? I hope so! Crossing fingers for you guys! 

I've given my hope for UCSB and UCI. I'm assuming they've already interviewed anyone they're interested to see. 

Oh wow! I saw someone got accepted to UT Austin's PPP PhD program off of the waitlist on the result page! LadyeBird, is that you? If so, congrats!!!! It certainly gives me some hope for my situation! 

Yes! Mocha Earl that was my post! Got the email from Dr Rossen just before 9 pm yesterday, but since I'm not checking my email constantly I didn't see it until almost midnight. Was so surprised, honestly. I had practically moved on and started transitioning to my back up plan. Fingers still crossed for you!

Thanks Mocha Earl!! It's nice to know someone heard. My fingers are still crossed... maybe I'll hear something today? Out of curiosity, was it an email telling you that you were accepted or an email telling you to go look on the application system? 

LadyeBird! I'm so happy for you!!! That gives me so much hope! If you don't mind me asking, do you happen to know whether you were top of the waitlist? 

Mine says I'm high on the list(not "very high"), and I'm just curious to see what are some chances are! I'm planning to send an email to Dr. Rossen this thursday of so just to check to see whether any of other MA applicants has accepted their offer (Since it's been almost two weeks!) 

Hope you get a good funding package as well!!!! AHH This is so exciting! 

Well- hopefully they're just doing PhDs a day later than MAs and I'll hear from UMD today! Good luck to everyone else! I hope all of us hear back soon!! 

Also, I bet you're a great bunch of people to ask this question of... but, suppose I do not get in. I don't really know what other schools to consider. I would like to do a PhD in Theatre with an emphasis on performance studies (not necessarily performance, but more a focus on audience interaction and the communication between audience and performer). However, I've been out of academia for so long that I really have no idea what schools to look at or even which professors have an interest in that area and also no idea where to start finding that information. If anyone has some quick suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

Edited by seanpet

Mocha Earl, I don't know where I was on the wait list, but I can say that the attached acceptance letter has a paragraph at the bottom about making a decision by the deadline of April 8th, but would appreciate a decision as soon as possible because they have a long wait list. From past results postings for this program I didn't expect to hear until April, which makes me think 'very high' means either 1 or 2 on the wait list. But who knows if there is a difference between 'very high' and 'high'?

MorneQuelquun, Thank you! I'm still a little in shock. Being on the wait list was such an emotional roller coaster. 

Hang in there everyone!

So- is it pretty safe to assume that if you have NOT heard back from a school by this point, it's unlikely that you got in? I'm a little unfamiliar with this process and am not sure. I was hoping some others on this thread might know. 

First and foremost, congrats to Ladyebird, Baccanalia, and MochaEarl-- its been a long ride gang, and I'm glad to hear that you guys have some great acceptances in hand. Wish I could say the same, got the official no room email from San Diego (that Bacc thankfully prepped me for) last night (interestingly they said they took 2-3, but may have been based off a form letter). I'm still waiting on Maryland, but I've mentally prepared myself to start thinking about next year's cycle-- I think my masters in education set me back as I had feared.

I feel like I'm already in enough debt that I don't want to get another M.A.-- anyone know if there are any applicable M.A.'s that are wholly or even partially funded?

Seanpet, I am by no means guaranteeing that we are still in the running, but no news isn't necessarily bad news-- according to MochaEarl they sent out the M.A. Offers, but it might take them longer to decide on PhDs-- I'm not throwing in the towel until I get an email telling me so, and given that they finished the M.A.s just a couple of days ago I'm hoping to hear by tomorrow, but likely won't know until next week. Fingers crossed for both of us!

P.S. MochaEarl, I was telling my partner a bit about this forum and the people on it, and she has decided that if I get into Maryland and you decide to attend as well, that we should become a dynamic duo of hot drink goodness based on our screen names. Just some food for thought.

MintBrad- I hope we get to study together next year at Maryland! I know of a few fully funded MAs in theatre, they're not stellar programs, but they're decent. Also, did you talk to any schools about doing a dual MA and PhD program? If it doesn't work out this year, it might be worth talking to a program head about entering a program (like Maryland) as an MA and seeing if you could just move from that onto the PhD program whenever they feel you are ready. That might cut down on the length of time it would take to get that second MA and also increase the likelihood of getting into your top PhD programs. 

Fingers crossed for all of us!! Please, let us study there! 

To those still waiting and thinking forward to reapplying during the next application cycle, I just wanted to say this is my third time applying for a PhD. So hang in there and try not to stress about reapplying next year. Last year it felt like everyone on GC in the TAPS thread got accepted their first time applying and it definitely caused me some negative feelings. Don't give up hope yet, there's still time and like MintBrad says, it's not over until it's over!

MintBrad, I would find it hard to believe that having an M.A. in Education would hold you back. Are you currently teaching at the high school level? One of the people I interviewed with out at Stanford last year was a high school teacher, during his interview some big name professors in the department told him they were nervous about his lack of research experience. He got in though. I think it has more to do with the application material than credentials sometimes, such as that one poster getting into Berkeley and having two masters not related to theatre or performance. As far as M.A.s in the US that are funded, I don't really know much. Part of why I did my masters in the UK was because it seemed the cost was equal or less than the cost of a masters in the US. 

MintBrad,

I wouldn't put too much on any one round of applications, things are so bizarre in the way they work out. In my experience most programs are either looking for one specific type of student OR they are interested in having no two students overlapping. This, along with departmental politics of which POI needs more students or has too many play such a huge role in acceptances each year.

Grad admissions, is such an intricate dance, and who is retiring, going on sabbatical, just coming back from sabbatical etc is just as, if not more important than your actual application. 

Also, I second the idea that its not over until its over! I didn't hear back from my M.A. until a month after they told me I would hear because of weather, a small fire, and technical difficulties. So don't despair!! We will all continue to send good vibes in your direction, and applying multiple times is the norm, not the exception. Almost everyone I know that is currently completing a PhD in theatre/TAPS/PS was either rejected by all but one school or were on the 2nd, or 3rd round of applications.

• 2 weeks later...