Fall 2015 applicants for theatre/performance PhD

LadyeBird

And add Columbia to my no fly zone..... definitely ready for some good news. 

A question for you guys--- for those who have been following this board, I received an interview with UCSD that I don't think went very well on my end. I haven't received any news, good or bad, since that time, and hearing from Bacchanalia that they want acceptees to decide by the 15th, I am hoping that it means I may still be in consideration for the next cut or wait list.

My question is this: I was considering sending a follow-up email to my professor of interest at SD to see if I could speak with her further because I felt that I didn't represent myself or interests as well as I would have liked in the initial interview. I think I can cite technical difficulties as having thrown me (which is definitely true), and maybe ask if I could speak with her again as a follow-up. Do you think this is a) a fantastic idea that will improve my chances of making a waitlist/second round of acceptances, b ) a terrible idea that will make me look pushy/desperate and might hurt my chances,  c) wildly inappropriate to even consider at this juncture of applications, or d) might not be inappropriate but hard to guess whether it would be positive or negative.

I've been mulling this over for a bit, and as notifications are going out, I feel like I should make a decision one way or the other. Help!?!    

Edited by MintBrad

MintBrad, I would say that a follow up email is totally acceptable, particularly if you feel that you made a connection with a particular professor. Personally I would avoid any overt attempt to try and "make-up" for what you may perceive as a bad interview. I would stick more along the lines of, "I'm very excited about your program and if you have any more questions about my application or research interests I would be happy to speak with you about them."

Just got the no from CUNY. I emailed to check my status and got a nice personal note back.

I'm feeing a little relieved to be out of limbo and one step closer to knowing where I will be next year.

Hope all of you are hanging in there!

Bacchanalia, sorry to hear about CUNY- though given the last two winters we've had here in NY you may be better off in sunny SD (this admittedly is just my personal bias)! Thanks for the advice Bacc and ThatGuy, I've been holding off on sending anything until I hear how the Feb 15th deadline at SD went-- any insights you would be willing to share Bacc would be much appreciated!

Before snowpacolypse descended I enjoyed a lovely informal tour of Maryland-- which, having not heard anything yet, just got me really excited about the program with no likely resolution until March. This whole process is barrels of fun.

MintBrad, very true about the winters. Also, my SO was VERY unhappy last time we lived in NYC and was willing to try again for my sake, but its a relief that I don't have to ask, though its always tough getting rejected from anything. 

I'm afraid I have no more insight on SD... I told them I wanted to visit before I made any decisions. I know I'm at least partially responsible for holding up the works, and I'm sorry! Just trying to avoid rushing into anything without all the info. 

Glad Maryland was exciting! Is anyone else visiting anywhere? I've asked elsewhere on gradcafe about things to look for on a visit, but does anyone here have any theatre/PS specific questions that would be good to ask? What has surprised/impressed you on your visits? 

I know this is a loaded question, but has anyone heard anything else from UT? Sorry if I just made your heads explode...  :wacko:

I'm checking my email constantly waiting for an email from UT. I saw someone posted a rejection on the results search and so I checked on UT's website and I'm still "in review". I know during my interview Dr. Rossen said mid- to late-February, which it most definitely is now!

The UT Austin rejection was posted by me.  I didn't get an interview though, so it wasn't a surprise, and that makes it a little different situation than those of you who interviewed last month.

You'll get an email to check the website when the decision is made.  The email also came in the middle of the night, so I think it is an automated system sending them out.   I'd keep my eye out through the weekend.  Best of luck everyone!  

I also just got an email from professor Rossen that I'm waitlisted for UT Austin. LadyeBird, does yours says that you're high on their list as well? It gives me little hope. Ahhh UT Austin's top of my list, but I don't know whether those who admitted will choose to go to elsewhere. I guess I can keep my hopes up and should focus on my Northwestern interview coming next weekend. Crossing my finger for you as well LadyeBird!

Hi MochaEarl, my email did also say I'm very high on the list and that people have been admitted off the wait list in the past. Keeping fingers crossed. Good luck on your Northwestern interview!

Thank you very much! LadyeBird!

Question to everyone, how do you cope with waitlisted situation? If the email says "Students have been admitted off the wait list in the past, and you are high on our list," how do I make sense of where exactly am I on their list? UT Austin's my top choice, and I think they accept 2 MA students per year. Is it even realistically possible for me to keep any hope? Is it acceptable if I send an email back asking where I am on their list, since UT Austin's my top choice?

Being waitlisted is a really tricky place, I think. I don't know how to make sense of it-is it realistically okay for me to keep any hope or should I rather given up on them? It's easy to keep hope, but later it'll be very hard for me to get over this mountain of expectation I'm building. Any advice? Anyone have gone through waitlist in the past? I would appreciate any advice.

Also has anyone heard back from UCI, UCSB, or UMD? I've been waiting to hear anything back from them! Since the application submission, I haven't heard back anynthing from them. (I applied Ma/phD for UCSB, PhD for UCI, and MA for UMD). I'm assuming that I didn't pass any of their innitial round?! So expect to get a rejection letter?!

I haven't heard anything from UCI if that helps. The due date was only about a month ago, so I wouldn't think too much yet. Same for the others as it seems none of them have posted results.

I would say to be very cautiously optimistic about a wait list. It is definitely something that can and has happened, but it is dependent on a number of factors. I would hold off on asking where you are on the wait list, from my experience most schools won't disclose that information.

The waiting really sucks, I tried to ask UCI when decisions would be coming out and got no response, but it's got to be in the next few weeks here. (He says without conviction).

Thank you Bacchanalia! One more question, after getting an email from the director of admissions(saying that I'm waitlisted), do you follow up with an email? If so, what do you generally write in that body of email? I was going to thank them for the possible opportunity, ask them where I stand in the waitlist(but after reading about your post, I'm hesitant), and just let them know that they are my top choice. 

Also, regarding waitlist vocabulary: I've seen people posting on the result page that "top of waitlist" or "very high on waitlist". If mine says I'm "high on waitlist" does that mean I have at least 2 people ahead of me? It seems really over analytical move, but I'm trying to be realistic. POI I interviewed with said they have been very "conservative" with their new students acceptance for last couple of years(usually they accept 2 people), but this year, they're trying to be more "radical", though it's really all upto the funding department receive. So I'm guessing they have accepted at least 2 people and maybe maximum 3 this year, and would like to calculate where I stand, and to see if it's really silly for me to have any hope. Arg! I guess I'm over-analyzing. Is it okay for me to ask how many students they accepted this year? I'm dying to know! I don't know why everything is so ambiguous and hidden! 

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, & finally caved and made an account so I could reply...

I did hear from UCI right away - submitted my application shortly before the Jan. 15 deadline, heard back from the head of doctoral studies by Jan. 23 asking me to come in for an interview. I couldn't go down to Irvine the available dates, so I interviewed with them via Skype instead, on Jan. 29. I haven't heard anything more since that interview, though. I went to UCI for undergrad and took classes with a few of the professors on the committee (they wrote letters of rec for me for my current MA program, actually, and had suggested last year that I apply to UCI's PhD program), so that may have had an effect on the speedy response to my application. Like I said, though, haven't heard anything of any kind since the interview.

Hope that's helpful and not just further stress-inducing...!

I also had posted a rejection from UT Austin on the board. I had no interview or any communication from them at all though.

Just got a personal email rejection from Arizona state. It says they can only accept people they can fund and if I would like to try again next year they will hold on to my info.

3 rejections out of 7 so far. These odds are bad. :-/

gingerandjazz Thank you very much for putting an effort to make an account to share the news. I was expecting it, since I didn't get to hear anything from them near the beginning of February. It gives me more relief than stress though! Thank you very much!

Just for the curiosity, where did you go for your MA? 

DoctorTheatre2015, lets look on the bright side and try to keep our fingers crossed for what's left in the basket!!!! At least that's what I'm trying to do. I applied to 6 schools, got interview for three(UCSD, UT Austin, Northwestern that is coming) and I'm still waiting to hear back from other three(UCSB, UCI and UMD), but I feel like no luck is coming from at least UCSB and UCI(knowing that there should have been an interview process at the end of January if my application is considered for their selection). I'm officially waitlisted for UT Austin(got the interview), and I think I've got no luck from UCSD, since I haven't heard anything from my interview. 

It's hard to keep optimistic energy since I don't want to invest too much hope for the unknown. But!!!! I think that's what this thread is for, and I'm expressing all my fear and hope together as a mingled form! Still keep my fingers crossed for what's left! 

Anyone else apply to Texas Tech?

My status changed to deferred to department today. It has been blank this whole time.

Mocha Earl: Thank you.

I found out how awesome UT Austins program was way too late and applied basically when the application was due.

Rooting for you!

Hihi,

I've been stalking this thread a bit and figured I should do more than just take haha

MochaEarl, I'm interviewing at Northwestern too! Super pumped to visit Chicago; I've never been!

Other schools: Brown - interviewed (& waiting to hear back -_-); Berkeley - waitlisted; NYU (MA) - nothing yet

Good luck/stay strong, everyone!

Oh god! I don't know why I never replied to this one! Hello asco! So great that we'll be able to meet in person this weekend!!! 

It almost feels unreal!!! Stay warm, bring heavy snow boots and water proof warm jacket! It was snowing heavily today. And I know we have to run to one place to another within a short period of time! 

I honestly just found this discussion thread... I can't believe I didn't find it before!! I applied for U. Maryland's PhD in TAPS, fall 2015. I haven't heard a word yet. Has anyone else? I was looking at the past years' results on here and noticed that most people found out by mid to late February. I'm getting a little concerned at not having heard anything yet.

Seanpet-- welcome! I actually visited Maryland last week (not a formal visit, I just missed the open house in the fall and wanted to take advantage of Presidents' Day weekend), and they said that decisions historically are in March-- sounds like we have more waiting! The facilities are really quite impressive, and though I got snowed out of the classes and meetings I hoped to attend, I got a very pleasant impression of the the students and program in general.

In other news, I finally got the gumption up to check in with San Diego and found out I am on the wait list and they are hoping to let me know more by next week-- so Bacchanalia, I am really hoping that you get into Irvine and decided to go there (as you seem like 'good people' and would be a nice colleague inter-campus departmentally), and because of the obvious numbers game at play with my own destiny. Still, it's nice to know that my interview didn't completely take me out of the running!

Best of luck all, it seems like we're coming down the home stretch! Curious to hear where people decide to go in the end!

Thanks MintBrad! I've been there before, I used to live in D.C. I'm really familiar with their program head and their facilities. That's kind of why it was the only place I applied. The other one on my list was Brown, I just didn't think I stood much of a chance getting in there. In retrospect, perhaps I should I have applied. 

It's interesting that they said mid March. The past years' results posted on GradCafe all indicate it was late February. However, I know they have a brand new application system this year. So, that might have something to do with it.