Flights for interviews

cjack87

Hi Everyone!

For those of you who are traveling for interviews, are you traveling the day of? I have an out of state interview coming up and am trying to decide if arriving in the afternoon is a safe bet, or if I should consider flying out the day before and getting settled.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and what others are doing in this situation.

Thanks!

Generally the interviews are all-day affairs. I can't imagine you being able to make it on-time if you flew in the day of the interview. I would suggest going the the afternoon/evening before. That also helps if there are delays or other nightmare scenarios that might pop-up.

I would technically be flying in the day before interviews. The only thing planned for that day is the dinner with grad students. But still, I'd hate to make a bad impression by being late.

What's the sleeping arrangements like? If you're staying with another graduate student, then I don't see any reason not to fly out earlier than the scheduled time. And honestly, I'd take advantage of the dinner with graduate students....their opinions will be taken into consideration when POI's are debating on whether or not to take a student.

Also if it helps, my POI at LSU highly encouraged I go the day before...just to avoid nightmare scenarios like everyone else here mentioned

Edited by Pencilvannia

What's the sleeping arrangements like? If you're staying with another graduate student, then I don't see any reason not to fly out earlier than the scheduled time. And honestly, I'd take advantage of the dinner with graduate students....their opinions will be taken into consideration when POI's are debating on whether or not to take a student.

Also if it helps, my POI at LSU highly encouraged I go the day before...just to avoid nightmare scenarios like everyone else here mentioned

They are offering housing with grad students Friday/Sat night, with the dinner with grad students being on Fri night. So if I go early (i.e., Thurs), I am looking at getting a hotel. Otherwise, I could fly out Friday morning and get in Friday afternoon, presumably in time for the dinner.

Hi Everyone!

For those of you who are traveling for interviews, are you traveling the day of? I have an out of state interview coming up and am trying to decide if arriving in the afternoon is a safe bet, or if I should consider flying out the day before and getting settled.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and what others are doing in this situation.

Thanks!

I plan to fly out early the day before the interview and arrive around noon. You know just to be on the safe side lol.

If you have a friend or acquaintance in the location, perhaps you could crash with them? For me, unless it was possible to get a direct flight from one warm place to another, I would feel nervous about risking it (though even then, you never know where planes are coming from). For example, I recently flew from South Carolina to California, but because it had a stop in DC, the flight was completely cancelled and I couldn't get out till the next day. The thing about being in town early is not really the dinner the night before (thought that's a huge benefit), but the fact that if your flight is cancelled that day, it would mess you up for interview day. If you can, I'd get in early. 

Congrats on the interview!

Thanks everyone! I decided to fly out the day of the grad student dinner, which is the day before interviews. I also made sure to get a nonstop flight :P  Fingers crossed for a smooth travel day!

HOW ARE YOU ALL GETTING INTERVIEWS ALREADY??? I haven't heard from any of my schools :'( 

What was the due date for your schools' applications? The only school I've heard back from so far was the one due December 1st. The applications that were due after that (12/15 and 1/1) I haven't heard back from yet!