Epidemiology PhD - Fall 2015 Cycle

gnarls_barkley

do you mind me asking what your topical area of interest is? i'm worried b/c i'm not a super great match for professors in the Epi dept. my top guy is actually in the EHS dept so not sure if that's a problem...i did apply to EHS as well but haven't heard from them either...

I applied for the social epidemiology track and am interested in nutritional factors associated with cancer.

I know the application deadline was just on 2/15. It may take them a bit assess the applicant pool, so hopefully we should hear final decisions in the next couple weeks. Good luck!

Hey,

Soooo...still waiting to hear from:

- Emory Environmental Health PhD (I interviewed via Skype at beginning of Feb)

- Hopkins International Health/GDEC PhD (are they doing interviews for IH PhD?)

- Minnesota Epi PhD (passed "first round"...no news on match with faculty/advisor)

- Minnesota Environmental Health PhD (no news on anything)

- Berkeley Epi PhD (are they doing interviews for PhD?)

Has anyone heard from these specific programs yet? I've seen a few things on the results forum, but can't corroborate any of that info.

I'll be a LOT less anxious if I can get into at least one program...congrats to everyone who's been accepted somewhere so far!

I haven't heard anything from Berkeley yet, was considering emailing them today. Looks like one person has already posted an acceptance. I applied to the same Hopkins program as you and checked the application website on a whim, and my decision letter was up. They haven't sent an email or anything, but you can try checking the website to see if your letter is available. 

Hey,

- Minnesota Epi PhD (passed "first round"...no news on match with faculty/advisor)

Has anyone heard from these specific programs yet? I've seen a few things on the results forum, but can't corroborate any of that info.

I'll be a LOT less anxious if I can get into at least one program...congrats to everyone who's been accepted somewhere so far!

Berkeley just emailed me and said that decisions will be sent out next week.

Thanks for the Berkeley update. Got rejected from Columbia and Hopkins today, Harvard yesterday. In at Emory and UW so far. Was really surprised by Columbia, thought I matched well and had good conversations with faculty there. Feeling shell-shocked. I guess it's a total crap-shoot though considering how competitive the programs are. Hope everyone is holding up ok!

Congrats!! Which Berkeley program did you apply to? PhD or DrPH? I'm still waiting to hear from them...

DrPH. But after getting wait listed, I actually asked to be considered for the epidemiology program too. Good luck to all! Hopefully KB8 is right that we'll hear back next week. 

Edited by FreeRadical

Hey,

I'm waiting to hear back from the Emory EH program as well. They told us to expect decisions 2.5-3 weeks after interviews at the very latest. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks... I'm tempted to email them...

Edited by yogini

Got rejected from Michigan today...

Hi, seaturtles. I was rejected by Michigan this morning too. Not too sad as I'll end up going to UW. BTW I'm wondering if I met you before on the doctoral day.  :)

Edited by luluLeaf

Hi, seaturtles. I was rejected by Michigan this morning too. Not too sad as I'll end up going to UW. BTW I'm wondering if I met you before on the doctoral day.  :)

I'm sorry! Which program at UW were you admitted to? Do you have funding? I am going to visit there for epi visit days next week and try to fool someone into giving me funding :).

I'm sorry! Which program at UW were you admitted to? Do you have funding? I am going to visit there for epi visit days next week and try to fool someone into giving me funding :).

I'm in Epidemiology-general track. I'm going to the Visit Day next week too to beg for funding...I think what UW's website said is really scary.. they say students who contact up to 50 faculties would likely to get funded... :blink:

If anyone else has applied to Irvine and is curious, admissions emailed me back today and said the process is taking longer than expected and they hope to have all decisions out by the end of April. They said something similar last year. Is it just me or is that a little crazy?!

If anyone else has applied to Irvine and is curious, admissions emailed me back today and said the process is taking longer than expected and they hope to have all decisions out by the end of April. They said something similar last year. Is it just me or is that a little crazy?!

That's insane. I would have to question a program that is so far out of the normal admissions timeline.

wow, end of April is super late. i'm really curious what would take THAT long in the admissions process.

i got a similar e-mail though from Emory Environmental Health Science PhD yesterday. they said 2-3 more weeks before they can make decisions due to "many extremely qualified candidates"...at least it's not a "no"...

Anyone have any idea what being wait listed might actually mean in terms of getting acceptance? I'm sure it varies by program, but anyone have anything more concrete  that they've heard, maybe from previous applicants, current PhD students?

Anyone have any idea what being wait listed might actually mean in terms of getting acceptance? I'm sure it varies by program, but anyone have anything more concrete  that they've heard, maybe from previous applicants, current PhD students?

Could have to do with funding. Some professors might be waiting on grants that can make or break funding for students.

Has anyone heard from Berkeley Epi yet? Saw one acceptance from early Feb in the results section.

Nope :( they had emailed me and said we'd hear last week, but I haven't heard anything. I'm not sure what their trends are for sending out rejections/acceptances. I've checked my app on the website a couple times and no changes there either.

Was anyone who was accepted into the Epi PhD program at UW able to get funding? If so, how much and how?

I've emailed 3 training grant coordinators and many different professors and haven't had any luck. Thanks!

Was anyone who was accepted into the Epi PhD program at UW able to get funding? If so, how much and how?

I've emailed 3 training grant coordinators and many different professors and haven't had any luck. Thanks!

I am still working on that myself... At visit days, it seemed like everyone I talked to was also having trouble. And yet, current students and professors all kept saying it always works out in the end. Does anyone have any insight?

I was unable to attend visit days. Did it seem like some students accept admission without funding, and find it after arriving on campus in the fall?

I'd love to attend UW and Seattle is great, but I have full funding elsewhere and it seems too risky to do that.

Edited by kang6789

I was unable to attend visit days. Did it seem like some students accept admission without funding, and find it after arriving on campus in the fall?

I'd love to attend UW and Seattle is great, but I have full funding elsewhere and it seems too risky to do that.

One student I talked to said that she didn't find funding until late summer. My impression was that people usually (but not always) find funding before arriving on campus, but sometimes after April 15. UW is my only option currently, so I'm going to keep on looking and eat the deposit if it comes to that. But if I had full funding elsewhere, I would probably go with that...

@luluLeaf, how were your visit days? Did you find some of this elusive funding??

Edited by seaturtles

so some "insider" info for anyone who applied to hopkins IH phd: the admissions committee was supposed to meet last week but due to weather issues had to postpone to this week or potentially next week. i'm assuming they'll let us know soon, preferably by end of march?

also, hopkins IH phd doesn't do interviews. and they are looking to accept ~5 students per concentration within IH.

got a weird e-mail from the admissions coordinator for the environmental health sciences program at minnesota. he basically said they had a lot of applicants to my particular track and that I should contact faculty and adjunct faculty i'm interested in, introduce myself, and inquire if they are admitting students for the fall.

has anyone else had a similar situation? isn't that the point of the admissions committee?

advice?

That's odd, but MN does admissions differently that other schools I've interacted with. Seems like they place a lot of emphasis on ensuring a faculty match before they offer admission. I haven't heard anything from them (Epi department) since being notified my application passed the admissions committee in January....might be time to reach out to the coordinator. I've gotten that impression that once you pass that stage, they place a lot of the admissions 'power' in the hands of potential mentors.

got a weird e-mail from the admissions coordinator for the environmental health sciences program at minnesota. he basically said they had a lot of applicants to my particular track and that I should contact faculty and adjunct faculty i'm interested in, introduce myself, and inquire if they are admitting students for the fall.

has anyone else had a similar situation? isn't that the point of the admissions committee?

advice?