Epidemiology PhD - Fall 2015 Cycle

gnarls_barkley

Haven't seen an official thread for the Fall 2015 Epidemiology PhD cycle, so here we go.

Where's everyone applying? I've seen a few results start to trickle in on the results page.

I've applied to Minnesota, Maryland, Texas, UIC, and Pitt.  Heard back from Minnesota last week, regarding the first round -  application made it through admissions committee, but acceptance is dependent on finding a faculty match.

Last year's thread here: 

Some of the discussion on funding (or lack thereof) makes me a bit nervous.

Hey gnarls_barkley! I applied to a BUNCH of places: Emory, UW, Tulane, Drexel, Wisconsin, Rochester, Yale, Boston, Brown, SLU, and VCU. I'm an international student and I've heard the competition is even tougher so I wanted to get out there!

So far I've gotten a rejection from Emory and an interview from Rochester.

Hey!

I applied to the following PhD programs:

Emory - Epi

Emory - Environmental Health Sciences

Hopkins - International Health (GDEC)

Michigan - Epi

Minnesota - Epi

Minnesota - Environmental Health

Berkeley - Epi

I got an e-mail in December to interview for Emory EHS in February. I'll have to do it via Skype as I currently work in Nigeria.

I got an e-mail rejection in January from Emory Epi.

I also got the "application made it through the admissions committee, now looking for faculty match & funding." from Minnesota Epi.

Thanks for starting up this thread. Here's hoping we'll get more (good) news next week...

Hey!

I applied to the following PhD programs:

Emory - Epi

Emory - Environmental Health Sciences

Hopkins - International Health (GDEC)

Michigan - Epi

Minnesota - Epi

Minnesota - Environmental Health

Berkeley - Epi

I got an e-mail in December to interview for Emory EHS in February. I'll have to do it via Skype as I currently work in Nigeria.

I got an e-mail rejection in January from Emory Epi.

I also got the "application made it through the admissions committee, now looking for faculty match & funding." from Minnesota Epi.

Thanks for starting up this thread. Here's hoping we'll get more (good) news next week...

I think we'll start seeing more news toward the end of the month. I applied for the Minnesota priority deadline (12/1) and got an email shortly after, stating they hope to have decisions by the end of January. Although that may vary, based on how quickly they can find a faculty match. 

From this thread: 

admissions.jpg

Hello Everyone,

I haven't heard a peep from anyone, I'm not sure what that means.

I applied to Brown, Yale, Boston University, Columbia, and University of Pittsburgh -- all PhD Epi, except Yale, which I think is specifically Chronic Disease.

Anyway I'm 52, and an MD, got my MPH in 1999 and want to move into genetic epi, I worked for a corporation a few years back working on their genetic diagnostic tests.  I'm currently practicing.  I don't know what factor the age will have, my stats are pretty good, a few publications.

Anyway, I should be working instead of compulsively checking the results pages.  So I better get back to it.

D

Hey, good luck to everyone. I thought I'd weigh in here and list my schools:

UC Berkeley, DrPH

University of Michigan, PhD in Epidemiologic Science

UNC, PhD in Epidemiology

University of Washington, PhD in Global Health

Harvard, DrPH

Johns Hopkins, DrPH in International Health

So far, I've gotten interviews at Michigan and UW, and I got an email from Hopkins saying my application was passed along to the department. @gnarls_barkley I was actually the person who made that chart last year. I'm glad someone found it useful! I'm still bumming around this website because I ultimately declined my only two acceptances. Hopefully things will work out better this year. 

UC Berkeley, DrPH

UNC, PhD in Epidemiology

Harvard, DrPH

So far, I've gotten interviews at Michigan and UW, and I got an email from Hopkins saying my application was passed along to the department. @gnarls_barkley I was actually the person who made that chart last year. I'm glad someone found it useful! I'm still bumming around this website because I ultimately declined my only two acceptances. Hopefully things will work out better this year.

Awesome job with the chart, it's really helpful!

If you don't mind me asking - why did you turn down your acceptances last year?

If you don't mind me asking - why did you turn down your acceptances last year?

I was accepted at Boston University with full funding, but they wanted me to accept or decline the funding by March 4th (effectively forcing me to make a decision way before April 15th). I hadn't heard from three schools at that point, so I asked for an extension... which the committee denied. I withdrew my application because I don't like being manipulated like that. As it turns out, if they had waited just three days I would have enrolled. 

I was also accepted at UIC. I liked the program, but they weren't able to offer much funding and Chicago isn't a great place for my wife to find a job in global health. 

I was accepted at Boston University with full funding, but they wanted me to accept or decline the funding by March 4th (effectively forcing me to make a decision way before April 15th). I hadn't heard from three schools at that point, so I asked for an extension... which the committee denied. I withdrew my application because I don't like being manipulated like that. As it turns out, if they had waited just three days I would have enrolled.

I was also accepted at UIC. I liked the program, but they weren't able to offer much funding and Chicago isn't a great place for my wife to find a job in global health.

Sounds like a pretty shady move to bypass the traditional April 15 deadline.

I'm also somewhat worried about the funding situation. I've gotten enough advice from faculty about funding that I will likely decline any acceptances that don't offer a reasonable package. Not worth the time investment, given the competitive market for new PhD grads.

I have just received an email from Maryland University, replying to my email. I was asking them if they have sent out decisions. I was told in the email that I will receive a mail to my address.

Is that how it works usually? I thought I will get first an email with the decision? 

Does that imply anything, like if I am accepted or rejected? 

Thanks.

I have just received an email from Maryland University, replying to my email. I was asking them if they have sent out decisions. I was told in the email that I will receive a mail to my address.

Is that how it works usually? I thought I will get first an email with the decision? 

Does that imply anything, like if I am accepted or rejected? 

Thanks.

Hey Mona. From what I understand, most schools inform of their decisions electronically but there are a few that use postal mail. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a rejection.

Hey Mona. From what I understand, most schools inform of their decisions electronically but there are a few that use postal mail. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a rejection.

Thanks rodeoclowns.

Anyone hear from Yale Epi? Someone posted on results that interview invitations were sent out, they didn't get one so they're guessing that they're rejected.

Anyone get an invitation?

D

UC Berkeley, DrPH

UNC, PhD in Epidemiology

Harvard, DrPH

When did you hear from UW? I was hoping to get an interview there for GH :(. Oh well.

I applied to UW (both epidemiology and global health), UNC and Michigan. So far have received an invitation to doctoral student day at Michigan.

Hi everyone, 

Recently interviewed at Johns Hopkins for Epi - fingers crossed and hopeful. Does anyone know what proportion of interviewed candidates get accepted (just trying to diffuse the stress a little bit :) ?

Hi everyone,

Recently interviewed at Johns Hopkins for Epi - fingers crossed and hopeful. Does anyone know what proportion of interviewed candidates get accepted (just trying to diffuse the stress a little bit :) ?

I would guess half? Maybe even closer to 2/3.

Got a rejection from Pitt today. I think things will start picking up the next couple weeks.

Edited by gnarls_barkley

When did you hear from UW? I was hoping to get an interview there for GH :(. Oh well.

I applied to UW (both epidemiology and global health), UNC and Michigan. So far have received an invitation to doctoral student day at Michigan.

Hey, I'll see you at Michigan. I also applied to UNC; do you know if they even do interviews?

For UW, I got an email on Jan 14th. The interviews are taking place today (Jan 22nd) and Feb 4th. 

Hey, I'll see you at Michigan. I also applied to UNC; do you know if they even do interviews?

For UW, I got an email on Jan 14th. The interviews are taking place today (Jan 22nd) and Feb 4th. 

UNC does not do interviews, but people I've talked to have recommended going to visit after acceptance to track down an assistantship and funding.

I would guess half? Maybe even closer to 2/3.

Got a rejection from Pitt today. I think things will start picking up the next couple weeks.

Yeah I'm sure hoping it's more like 2/3. Sorry about your rejection. I do hope you get in your first choice school! I only applied to one school as I am not very willing to move plus would like to apply credits from my Masters - risky move I know.

On 1/26/2015 at 4:32 PM, mona90 said:

Does anyone know whether or not WashU, Pitt, or JH epidemiology PhD programs have sent admission results yet?

Don't know about WashU and Pitt but I'm pretty sure Johns Hopkins hasn't.

There are a bunch of acceptances and rejections for Pitt on the results page, they started sending them early and it looks like they don't send them all out at once.  That said, I haven't heard from them yet, and it doesn't seem like they're doing interviews either.