Epidemiology PhD - Fall 2015 Cycle

gnarls_barkley

That's odd, but MN does admissions differently that other schools I've interacted with. Seems like they place a lot of emphasis on ensuring a faculty match before they offer admission. I haven't heard anything from them (Epi department) since being notified my application passed the admissions committee in January....might be time to reach out to the coordinator. I've gotten that impression that once you pass that stage, they place a lot of the admissions 'power' in the hands of potential mentors.

hmm, yeah that makes sense. let me know if you hear back from andrea. i've e-mailed her twice in the past month and haven't gotten a response.

I am just wondering if all of you have heard back from Columbia Epi PhD program? I saw some people got rejected around Feb25th and few were accepted around the same time. How about others?

Anyone here back on funding yet?

I've gotten a pretty broad range - from amazing funding to "meh"

Yeah, funding has been a mixed bag. UW offered full tuition and a $1900/mo RA stipend. Johns Hopkins offered 60% tuition over 5 years and a $12k stipend. Berkeley offered one year tuition and a $6k stipend. UNC didn't offer anything with the acceptance and made me apply for school- and department-specific funding opportunities (still haven't heard back). 

I was split between UW and Hopkins in terms of program fit. Funding tipped the balance in favor of UW's PhD in global health metrics and implementation science. I'm pretty happy with the idea of living in Seattle, too. 

Sounds like you've got some good options, it's definitely nice to have a fully funded offer on the table.  

I've been a bit surprised by the variance in funding offers. Pretty much every faculty member I've spoken with at my current school has advised against taking out anything but very minimal loans for a PhD. Not sure if it's due to the recent NIH cuts or just overall competition for doctoral funding, but it's been rough.

Yeah, funding has been a mixed bag. UW offered full tuition and a $1900/mo RA stipend. Johns Hopkins offered 60% tuition over 5 years and a $12k stipend. Berkeley offered one year tuition and a $6k stipend. UNC didn't offer anything with the acceptance and made me apply for school- and department-specific funding opportunities (still haven't heard back). 

I was split between UW and Hopkins in terms of program fit. Funding tipped the balance in favor of UW's PhD in global health metrics and implementation science. I'm pretty happy with the idea of living in Seattle, too. 

I've got full funding at Emory. I really liked the school, campus, and research, and professors seem really supportive. I'm still searching for funding at UW so I can visit and give it a shot. Have emailed about 40 professors so far, with one potential hit but I'm not sure yet. To those who went to UW visit day, did it seem like all PhD students ended up with TA or RA funding before matriculating? Professors have told me that nearly everyone does find funding, but I'm worried about passing up a sure thing at Emory for a "probable" thing elsewhere. UW is great though, and I love Seattle. 

I am still looking for funding for UW epi. I have also emailed a ton of professors and met with some on visit days as well. Everyone I talked to said that everyone finds funding, but I am still a bit nervous. UW is the only school that admitted me though (did not apply to enough schools), so I'm fine with paying the deposit and continuing to look. I am not going to move to Seattle or attend if I can't find funding beforehand though. I'd rather just go back to the drawing board and apply to more schools for next year... Of course, I'm hoping something works out, but I really don't want to put myself in the position of having to pay for PhD.

Hey there! Current MSPH student at Hopkins, interested in PhD in epi. Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but maybe these questions can distract you guys from what must be the painful wait. I'm looking to apply for 2016, but would love any tips/advice. I'm interested so far in UW, Hopkins (although many of the PhD students here complain about the funding), Berkeley, Columbia.

1. Did you visit the schools/programs before applying? If so, who did you contact, and do you feel it helped?

2. How did you narrow down which programs you wanted to apply to? How many do you recommend applying to?

3. Do you know specifically what you want to research, or is your interest pretty broad? How did you "sell" this interest in your application?

4. What do you plan on doing with this PhD, after?

If you have any questions about life in Baltimore, let me know!

Anyone have experience/luck with leveraging other funding offers (without coming off as tacky/ungrateful)?

My top choice offered me 8k/year and full tuition, but it's in a very expensive city. I also have a fully funded (20k + tuition) offer from a good program, but I just don't think my heart is in it.

I feel like I'm being greedy, but I've been able to avoid significant debt by working throughout my undergrad and master's degrees. I would hate to start racking up debt now, in order to cover living expenses.

• 2 weeks later...

This has been discussed a bit, but would you all mind posting what funding packages you have received specifically from Epi programs? From what I can see, these are the most popular programs in all PH tracks, so I am not too surprised to see schools being stingy. 

Like above, I too have 20K + tuition but there are issues with this school

Edited by RainbowGold

This has been discussed a bit, but would you all mind posting what funding packages you have received specifically from Epi programs? From what I can see, these are the most popular programs in all PH tracks, so I am not too surprised to see schools being stingy.

Like above, I too have 20K + tuition but there are issues with this school

I've got the following that I'm trying to decide on:

- Top choice (top 10 program). TA position, 8k and half tuition coverage

- Top 20 program. 10k fellowship and full tuition for 2 years.

-Top ~25 program. Full funding, 20k plus tuition for 4 years

In a tough, but enviable spot. Would love to go to my top choice, but I don't think I can justify having to take loans out when I have better offers on the table.

How about you?

Edited by gnarls_barkley

I've got the following that I'm trying to decide on:

- Top choice (top 10 program). TA position, 8k and half tuition coverage

- Top 20 program. 10k fellowship and full tuition for 2 years.

-Top ~25 program. Full funding, 20k plus tuition for 4 years

In a tough, but enviable spot. Would love to go to my top choice, but I don't think I can justify having to take loans out when I have better offers on the table.

How about you?

Oh, I actually applied to only one Epi program, everything else was slightly different fields. I was trying to gauge how unfortunate/lucky I was. It was very difficult getting funding though, and there was some begging involved. Like I mentioned earlier, mine is:

-Top 20 program:  Full tuition funding + 20K [Continued funding after 1st year "not guaranteed"... -_-]

As I previously said, I have full funding from Emory Epi for two years, but was also accepted to UW Epi. After emailing about 50 (!) faculty members at UW, I finally found funding at UW for at least a year (with the possibility of extension for the full length of the program depending on performance). UW was a better fit for my interests and I will be going there. Funding is definitely tough right now due to NIH cuts though!

• 1 month later...

So where is everyone going? I'm going to post my stats for next year's cohort.

UG: Public Health Education. GPA: 3.0

Masters in Public Health (Epidemiology) from low/mid range school of public health. GPA: ~3.8

GRE: Verbal:160; Quant:156; AW: 4.0

Conference presentations: None

Publications: 1 as second author. 1 as first author, but not accepted by time of application. Name on a couple of white papers/technical reports.

Work experience: 1.5 years (and counting) working for research center.

LoRs: 1 from faculty advisor, 1 from faculty/work supervisor, 1 from county health department manager.

Research interests: Cancer epidemiology, chronic disease epidemiology, nutritional sciences/nutritional epidemiology.

Applied: UIC, Minnesota, South Carolina, Texas, and Pitt

Accepted: UIC, Minnesota, and South Carolina

Attending: UIC

I liked Minnesota's program, but the funding offer was not viable for me. Headed to UIC this fall!

Edited by gnarls_barkley

UG: Sociology & Global Health, top tier US university. GPA 3.3

MPH: Epi, mid tier univeristy. GPA 4.0

GRE: V 166, Q 161, W 4.5

I'll be at UCLA in the fall.

• 2 months later...