Dealing with Undergraduate Assistants in Discussion Sections

efuller1

I have an undergraduate teaching assistant in one of my discussion sections that for the past two sections interrupted me in the middle of teaching. I was going to use the board because the projector was not showing the screen big enough and I didn't want to go back and forth between bigger and smaller when I needed to do that. He basically interjects in the middle of me teaching use command abc. I say I tried that and it did not work last time. And later it turns out that that command wouldn't have worked in the program I was using anyway, but this is the second time. I have already talked to him about this. I talked to my supervising professor as well I got confirmation from him that his only job is to answer students questions when they raise their hand NOT teach. NOT interrupt me. He is undermining my authority. I have reasons for the way I am teaching and it is not his job to question that. Coincidentally this is the section that's not going as well as the other section where I have a different TA who does not interrupt.  How do I deal with this effectively and nip it in the bud ?

I'm not sure that this is actually a problem but since you've already talked to the TA and to your professor about it, my main advice would be to try and change your attitude towards the TA and be very gracious when they try and help. It sounds like they have good intentions, even if their execution is lacking. If you respond negatively, even just in body language or tone, the students will pick up on it and be uncomfortable. That would probably lead to an environment that's not as conducive to learning as in your other section. I thought the language in your post came across as negative, and I wouldn't be surprised if it affects your interactions with the TA more generally. If I were a student in a class where the instructor and TA seemed to be battling each other, I know I'd do my best to stay as far away from it as possible, which would probably lead to less participation and less learning. 

However, this is just an uneducated guess based on a short post. Maybe more context would help for why you think it's undermining your authority that the TA tried to help with a technical problem.

If I were a student in a class where the instructor and TA seemed to be battling each other, I know I'd do my best to stay as far away from it as possible, which would probably lead to less participation and less learning. 

Indeed. It'd definitely depend on the context and if he sounds like a know-it-all while trying to help you. As your context stands now, it sounds like you're being a little oversensitive -  maybe more concerned with how you appear as a teacher than actually teaching. Think about what you'd want out of your own class!

I don't mean to be harsh. Your TA might be insufferable. Just consider that it might not be the end of the world.

I wouldn't really be upset about that at all. But, that's because, based on what you've said, I don't think the TA is undermining your authority. Offering help with technology is something a lot of undergrads do when they see that I'm having issues with the projector or video clip or whatever. I don't mind it and just thank them for their help. If you've already talked to the TA, try talking to them again but framing it differently. Instead of saying "don't interrupt me," invite them to share their ideas with you privately before or after class.

It wasn't just the tech it was how I was telling them to do something. I gave different instructions to them about how to accomplish a task and he gave them opposite instructions while interrupting me. That's confusing to students do they follow my instructions or his instructions. I had reasons behind the method I had them use. That was the first time. It's not just how I appear that while I care about it some, it's more that being interrupted like that throw's me off when I am giving my lecture which then means I need to regain my train of thought. I am deathly afraid of public speaking already so regaining my track of thought is more difficult although it is getting better as I get used to being the teacher in front of the class. I have been gracious.  I explained my reasoning and the reason behind it and suggested other ways if he had something he wanted or needed to tell me. I am trying to handle it calmly and not to get mad. I am not sure about my body language. The last time I just continued teaching as if nothing had happened the best I could manage. I certainly wasn't angry, because I was to focused on making sure my students understood the content I was attempting to teaching them. There's no time to be angry.