KAUST Fall 2015 Admission

princeofphysics

You are welcome...

There is one more thing ... Your luck matters a lot as far as the KAUST admissions are concerned. You heard me ... Luck.

KAUST is notorious about diversity. So, it does not matter how wonderful one's application is, if there is someone else from the country of citizenship applying to the same program and has a (KAUST) faculty recommendation which weighs more than the former's, it is highly likely that the former would be rejected. And rejection is certain if there are two such candidates.

Bottom line: KAUST would never admit more than two students per semester from same country of citizenship in one program. Exceptions are US and European citizens because, apparently, these regions produce more graduates than other.

So, I would not rely on KAUST much as diversity weighs more than merit there.

@ARJS

Thank you, that does help! So that's how their admissions work. I hope they would let us know by March/April the latest so I can make necessary arrangements if I am indeed unsuccessful...

Just curious, did anyone apply to other schools besides KAUST? And what are your impressions of it as an educational institute? I've been doing some research (though there's not much info) and there are mixed reviews about it. Some people say that degrees obtained from Middle Eastern unis are not regarded as highly in western unis. Plus, it may be hard to get into a Ph.D. program/job outside of the Middle East for students with masters degrees from there due to the stigma attached. D: Personally I've always thought that the uni is not as important, as long as the research done was solid and yielded good results. Anyone knows how true this is? And KAUST seems really good for research plus it has partnerships with reputable unis around the world.

Any thoughts, guys?

Sorry for the double post, I just saw ARJS's comment.

@ARJS

That's a really strange method of accepting students. But anyway, I found out from the professor who interviewed me that there is one student from my country but she is already in the program. In terms of diversity, I guess I may stand a chance if they don't consider past batches. Marine Biology isn't popular in my country. And most of the population have a skewed view of the Middle East. I guess we shall find out.

Hello

first of all thanks for your valuable info. abut the admission at KAUST, it was really helpful.

secondly, do u mean that if the admission deadlines is expired (14 feb), we may still be accepeted or rejected??? i mean this is not the real deadlines????

Hello

first of all thanks for your valuable info. abut the admission at KAUST, it was really helpful.

secondly, do u mean that if the admission deadlines is expired (14 feb), we may still be accepeted or rejected??? i mean this is not the real deadlines????

Hi AbdulKader90,

February 14th is the deadline for applicants to submit their applications and all the supporting documents for their application to be considered for Fall 2015 intake. KAUST may not accept any application after that (not at least for the major round of admissions - rolling admissions may be possible but again I am not sure whether the applicants will be considered for financial assistance or not)

What I really meant was that after passing the application deadline (14 feb), there will be some deadline for admission committee (known to KAUST administration only) by which the admissions office must finalize their decisions and communicate them to relevant offices / people. And for KAUST, one may expect a decision as late as mid of May. I believe KAUST will make sure that all the decisions be communicated by mid of April. After that, again, on rolling basis, only those would be contacted (by mid of May) who were initially waitlisted - in case someone rejects KAUST's admission offer.

Hope this helps...

Hey  Guys !

My interviews haven't yet been scheduled. I am very perturbed about it., but upon contacting i came to know my LoR's have reached the office on 10 Feb, 2015,. narrowly making the feb 14 cut off.

I hope interviews would be soon.

fingers crossed !

Hey  Guys !

My interviews haven't yet been scheduled. I am very perturbed about it., but upon contacting i came to know my LoR's have reached the office on 10 Feb, 2015,. narrowly making the feb 14 cut off.

I hope interviews would be soon.

fingers crossed !

Which university/college did you complete your graduation from? I'm also from Kashmir.

Which university/college did you complete your graduation from? I'm also from Kashmir.

u applied in 2014.. ?  hows that possible , was your admission result withheld ?

IUST . will graduate in july 2015.

what about you ?

u applied in 2014.. ?  hows that possible , was your admission result withheld ?

IUST . will graduate in july 2015.

what about you ?

I graduated in July 2014. NIT Srinagar.

Dear abid.khan9

I don't know why, but here's what I have got from KAUST's website.

"Applications for Fall 2015 are currently being reviewed and will be accepted through April 9."

I think they're looking for more potential students which they haven't really got, but I hope we will be on the list, inshaa Allah.

I was one of those interviewed.

ARJS is right. They're focused on diversity. If you can't impress them there, you're going to have to apply again.

Your research interests, capability, grades, achievement are meaningless in the personal interview.

Edited by mountain

Dear mountain, when did you have your personal interview and please share the mode of interview? I mean is it through Skype or did you fly somewhere for interview. I am sure this topic viewers would really appreciate if you share your profile with others too. Thanks

I was one of those interviewed.

ARJS is right. They're focused on diversity. If you can't impress them there, you're going to have to apply again.

Your research interests, capability, grades, achievement are meaningless in the personal interview.

Hello everyone,  I'm from Mexico and I'm applying for the PhD program in Mechanical Engineering.

I had an academic interview in the middle of january and then a personal interview  (first days of february). The latter was quite short, focusing on my life outside an academic environment (family, hobbies, opinions) and lasted less than 10 minutes. Nothing to be worried about unless you get nervous and your english is not strong.

Hope you all get some news soon!

It seems that only PhD applicants have received some sort of communication from the Uni, be it e-mails or interviews. Any MS applicant here who was contacted by the Uni? Or any other update?

@anjumrauf

I'm an MS applicant. I had the academic interview at the end of January. I emailed the admissions office afterwards cos I didn't hear from them since the interview and the officer replied that applications are still under review and to wait for further emails from them.