Post-Bacc--Good Idea or Not?

I graduated with a degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders with a 3.0 GPA in May of 2011 and was wait listed and ultimately not accepted to the schools I applied for. I applied for two semesters in a row and did not get in. I decided to work and take time off from applying. I have shadowed SLP's here and there while working full time as a Service Coordinator at a company that provides supports to adults with disabilities. I would like to go back to school and my plan was to apply and hopefully get accepted to a Masters Program. My GPA is not competitive and I was wondering if anyone had any input about a post bacc program? Usually these programs are designed for people that would like a career change, have a degree in an unreeled field, etc...would taking these classes over again in a post-bacc program be worth my time, money, and most importantly, help me gain admission into a Masters program? 

Edited by KellyAR0329

Depending on the structure of the post bacc program (if they have you taking relevant courses and doing useful research/projects) then I would definitely say that it's a good idea. At the same time if it would be too much of a burden for you (financially or otherwise) then I would advice against it. I would say that your work experience would give you a unique perspective and if you are able to score well on your GRE you should be deemed a competitive applicant. Make sure you research the programs in your field and see how the funding situation is and what kind of research is being done at each of the institutes. Hope fully this gives you an idea of where to start.

I graduated with a degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders with a 3.0 GPA in May of 2011 and was wait listed and ultimately not accepted to the schools I applied for. I applied for two semesters in a row and did not get in. I decided to work and take time off from applying. I have shadowed SLP's here and there while working full time as a Service Coordinator at a company that provides supports to adults with disabilities. I would like to go back to school and my plan was to apply and hopefully get accepted to a Masters Program. My GPA is not competitive and I was wondering if anyone had any input about a post bacc program? Usually these programs are designed for people that would like a career change, have a degree in an unreeled field, etc...would taking these classes over again in a post-bacc program be worth my time, money, and most importantly, help me gain admission into a Masters program? 

I am not understanding. What type of post bacc program are you referring to? SLPA? You have already taken the courses needed for entrance to a SLP program with your Bachelors.

All your transcripts must be seen by grad admissions offices. The question to ask admissions' offices is which set of grades will be looked at if you retake the classes...

Edited by Arcanelady27

I just finished a post-bacc program last semester (I majored in psych and communications but wanted a career change) and the classes were with students who were majoring in CSD in undergrad. Unless you can find specific classes that you have yet to take or retake classes that you did very poorly in, I would say it is probably a waste of money and time. Best of luck!

Hi i'm in a post-bacc program currently.  I don't know of any students who already have a comm disorders degree being allowed in.  At least I don't believe that is common.  You most likely already have the classes done that are offered in most post-bacc programs.  Those programs are geared towards people with completely different undergrad majors. 

If you want to get some useful school experience I would say either take some classes online at Utah state that could be helpful that you didn't already take and get A's in them perhaps taking sign language or spanish at a local community college would help too. That way if you become proficient it would be an asset and set you apart on applications. 

Getting a SLPA certificate (idk if it is a certificate) could perhaps give you more job experience that would help out.  Although i've heard mixed reviews on whether SLPA experience aids Grad school applications. 

Maybe go to your Alma Mater's career center or meeting with someone in the communications department could give you better advice on what to do in your current position?

Best of luck!

• 2 months later...

I have a bachelor's degree in Sociology/Human Services with minor in Spanish.  I am taking SLPA to get intro and intermediate knowledge on the subject to better prepare me for grad school, plus the SLPA program is half the cost of the post-Bac certificate.  I am just starting out, but I would vote that SLPA is a much better route to go to prepare for SLP grad school.  I am doing an online SLPA program, and I have an online grad school in mind for after that.  After SLPA, I might work two part time jobs for more experience as SLPA  Then when accepted, drop one.  Am hoping for scholarships too. 

Good luck!