Just received an email from a potential mentor, what does it mean?

playasb

A potential mentor emailed me just now, and said that he's very interested in my application, and think I fit in the program. He told me that the admission decisions will be made in a couple of weeks, and I should feel free to ask him any questions. He also gave me some links to his research articles.

I am wondering what does this mean, and how should I reply to this email. It seems that there will be no interview, right?

Thanks in advance to those who helps out!

It means he is interested in your application and that you fit in the program.

You should respond thanking him for the links to his articles, if you have any questions, ask him and say that you look forward to hearing from the program in the future (and that your excited). 

It's a good opportunity for you to show him your character and he can also get a first impression of your personality and written skills. I would spend some time combing his literature and engage him in a thoughtful discussion of his work. Don't pry, don't ask anything you couldn't Google, but try to provoke intellectual discussion on his topics and how they relate to your interests.

sounds like a good opportunity to ask him to chat on the phone, and make a great impression. you could ask if the amnesia committee/ entire department has the final say. if so, it sounds like he wants you but doesn't have the control to definitely admit you.

Thanks everyone for the helpful reply. :)  I have been reading his articles and am "crafting" an intellectual email.

champagnesupernova, I'm not sure about the phone conversation, would it be too aggressive to ask if she has the final say? I'm a little nervous.