Applying MS Biostats from natural science undergrads

lisa8191

Hi all,

I graduated in 2014 with a Biochemistry major. During my last year of college, I decided to pursue in Biostats. 

I'm just wondering if anyone knows that coming from a natural science major would be a defect? (Since most applicants are from stats or math major as I recall). I'm so worried that not having taken higher level math classes (ie. real analysis...etc) will be a defect while being reviewed by the admission. Also, I'm nervous waiting for the result from schools. Anyone knows approximate when MS biostats result will be out? (The schools I applied are in my signature)

Thanks,

I went from a B.S. in Biology to a Biostatistics PhD program, which I'm currently half-way through my second year in. I had not taken real analysis, but did have multivariable calc and linear algebra, and I was admitted to a few PhD programs (mostly mid-range schools), and a couple top 5 MS programs. 

Real Analysis seems to be a deal breaker for the top PhD programs, but not for MS. 

Actually, if you have the biology/chem background and the necessary math background, I've found it to be really helpful. Given that biostats is largely an applied field, it certainly helps to understand the medical biology and chemistry of what you're applying your work to. In my experience so far, I've found the math major students to have little to no advantage over me in the mathematical/theoretical aspects of statistics. There have been a few occasions where they knew some math tricks that I hadn't come across before and were a little quicker to understand some things, but it was nothing I wasn't able to learn and come to understand. After having taken 3 semesters of statistical theory (essentially the entirety of Casella & Berger and Bickel & Docksum), plus the theoretical aspects of the advanced regression and modeling, there isn't anything I feel I don't understand and couldn't explain equally as well as anyone else in my department. However, in my area of applied research, understanding a little more than the basics of microbiology, immunology, molecular pathways, etc. has proven very helpful to me. It helps with how I approach problems, seeing potential conflicting variables, understanding better ways to help my basic science collaborators design experiments, etc.

However, keep in mind, I'm not at Harvard, Hopkins, or Washington. Biostat departments at those schools are more heavy on theory than mine is, and I can't say it would have been equally as easy for me to adapt. The disadvantages would have likely been a little more pronounced, although I still believe I would have made it through their programs just fine. 

I went from a B.S. in Biology to a Biostatistics PhD program, which I'm currently half-way through my second year in. I had not taken real analysis, but did have multivariable calc and linear algebra, and I was admitted to a few PhD programs (mostly mid-range schools), and a couple top 5 MS programs. 

Real Analysis seems to be a deal breaker for the top PhD programs, but not for MS. 

Actually, if you have the biology/chem background and the necessary math background, I've found it to be really helpful. Given that biostats is largely an applied field, it certainly helps to understand the medical biology and chemistry of what you're applying your work to. In my experience so far, I've found the math major students to have little to no advantage over me in the mathematical/theoretical aspects of statistics. There have been a few occasions where they knew some math tricks that I hadn't come across before and were a little quicker to understand some things, but it was nothing I wasn't able to learn and come to understand. After having taken 3 semesters of statistical theory (essentially the entirety of Casella & Berger and Bickel & Docksum), plus the theoretical aspects of the advanced regression and modeling, there isn't anything I feel I don't understand and couldn't explain equally as well as anyone else in my department. However, in my area of applied research, understanding a little more than the basics of microbiology, immunology, molecular pathways, etc. has proven very helpful to me. It helps with how I approach problems, seeing potential conflicting variables, understanding better ways to help my basic science collaborators design experiments, etc.

However, keep in mind, I'm not at Harvard, Hopkins, or Washington. Biostat departments at those schools are more heavy on theory than mine is, and I can't say it would have been equally as easy for me to adapt. The disadvantages would have likely been a little more pronounced, although I still believe I would have made it through their programs just fine. 

Thank you Biostat_student_22 for you detailed reply! I think I finished the math requirement (multivariable calc and linear algebra) but am still not sure what MS biostats programs are looking into applicants. I know that master program results tend to come out fairly late. I'm just stressed waiting and eagerly to know the result! I guess the results wouldn't come out till mid-Feb to early March... I guess I should just keep waiting for the emails then...

Cyberwulf has said before: 

Any student with:

1) A 3.8+ GPA from a good school (say top 100 national university or top 100-150 liberal arts college).

2) A 160+ GRE quant score.

3) The mathematical prerequisites.

is going to get into basically every biostat Masters program in the country.

I'm not sure how you stand with regard to those other criteria, but I would think you will have some success with your applications.  There are plenty of non-math/stat majors at top schools.  There is absolutely zero expectation that MS students will have taken math classes beyond linear algebra.

Edited by bayessays

Bayessays, thanks for the insights! For GPA, do school usually look at the last two yrs or the whole 4 yrs? I have cumulative GPA 3.79 but last two yrs will be 3.87. I think the part that worries me the most is that usually on the result page, we can see lots of ppl saying that they applied to PhD but get accepted to MS. It feels like the MS applicants are competing with the PhD applicants which make me worried that my lack of math will be a defect...

Edited by lisa8191

Bayessays, thanks for the insights! For GPA, do school usually look at the last two yrs or the whole 4 yrs? I have cumulative GPA 3.79 but last two yrs will be 3.87. I think the part that worries me the most is that usually on the result page, we can see lots of ppl saying that they applied to PhD but get accepted to MS. It feels like the MS applicants are competing with the PhD applicants which make me worried that my lack of math will be a defect...

MS standards are lower because you'll likely be funding yourself. I was accepted into some top MS programs with a lower GPA than you have and around a 163 GRE (I honestly don't remember what it was, but it was low-mid 160s). Your math grades count highly though, and I did have A's in all calc, linear algebra, and stat classes.

I have cumulative GPA 3.79 but last two yrs will be 3.87.

I don't think the 3.8 was meant to be a cutoff, and a 3.79 is sufficiently close. Your math grades are more important anyway. Assuming your GRE quant score is decent, I imagine you would at least get into a few of those schools. It sucks waiting out the storm, but once you get your first acceptance the tension releases. Good luck.

My GRE quant score is 166. I guess it's just waiting anxiety makes me so stressed out... Like what footballman2399 said, after getting the first acceptance letter, I will be less stressed and no more checking mail 100x a day...

Edited by lisa8191

PhD admissions almost always take priority over MS admissions (except in rare cases like Michigan biostat, which doesn't admit undergrads directly to the PhD). A good rule of thumb is to expect PhD decisions in December/January, and MS decisions in February/March.

I think the part that worries me the most is that usually on the result page, we can see lots of ppl saying that they applied to PhD but get accepted to MS. It feels like the MS applicants are competing with the PhD applicants which make me worried that my lack of math will be a defect...

Since most programs do not fund their Masters students, there is strong motivation to get as many people as possible to enroll in the program to maximize revenue. Hence, a lot of MS programs will happily admit anyone they think can complete the program successfully. Typically, you aren't really competing with the PhD applicants directly; you just need to be "above the bar". 

@lisa8191

At this point, everything is out of your control. There's really no use in trying to estimate your odds -- things will happen as they do. Based on what you've shared, it seems reasonable to expect that you'll do just fine for yourself. Time will pass much faster if you find a project with which to occupy yourself as opposed to checking your e-mail/TGC relentlessly. (Of course, that's easier said than done! =p)

@cyberwulf Thanks for the explanation to my worries! That all makes sense :)

@epimeleia_heautou Yes I know it's out of my control and I'm currently working full time on my project. But it's still so hard 'NOT' to check emails...