Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)

That's so exciting, CarolineKS! I'm glad to hear your good news to outweigh my bad! I contacted the UW-Madison DGS about my wait list position, and she said that so many people in most subfields have already accepted their initial offers that they aren't foreseeing hardly any movement off the list in the next month. A huge disappointment, but again, I'm glad your wait list worked for you!

I'm in off the waitlist at chapel hill!!!!!!!! I'm walking around downtown Charleston SC sobbing and I don't even care.

Congratulations, Caroline! I know that has to feel good. You're on quite a roll.

I hope this doesn't mean the program is moving right through its offers already. I'm still on the waitlist and UNC is THE program for me. Were you told anything about the number of spots left or the waitlist situation, by chance?

I'm in off the waitlist at chapel hill!!!!!!!! I'm walking around downtown Charleston SC sobbing and I don't even care.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm sorry for the caps, but I know how much you wanted in there. I'm thrilled for you! :D

Thanks, guys! I'm really, really happy. 

I'm currently debating between UT and UNC. I'm visiting both, but I must say UNC is my dream school. I guess I should go ahead and turn Davis down, even though I'm still kind of fantasizing about it. 

Caroline got off the waitlist. Therefore, everyone will get off the waitlist!

Illogical, or POST logical?

Nope, very logical for us comparists. Not a stretch at all. I'm getting off the waitlist in the next week or so! We all are!

Ermm. I saw the thing on the results board about how Toronto has changed statuses to "Decision Made" and will be sending out letters. I am on their wait list... but I can't imagine they're sending out a letter to confirm that with me. Does it mean that they've taken everyone off the wait list that they can and are sending out rejections now?

I think this 

Ermm. I saw the thing on the results board about how Toronto has changed statuses to "Decision Made" and will be sending out letters. I am on their wait list... but I can't imagine they're sending out a letter to confirm that with me. Does it mean that they've taken everyone off the wait list that they can and are sending out rejections now?

is one of those situations where it's pretty much impossible to read the tea leaves. Who knows who makes the changes on that website? My guess would be that it's an admin person for the grad school that has little knowledge of the decision-making process of individual departments. At many schools I've heard from (waitlist and otherwise) my status on the website never actually changed one way or the other, changed way late, etc. If you've already heard from them, your "Decision Made" moment happened a while ago, and I very much doubt that you' should assume the worst just cuz they have to mail notifications to a wave of rejected folks who were never on the list in the first place.

I think this 

is one of those situations where it's pretty much impossible to read the tea leaves. Who knows who makes the changes on that website? My guess would be that it's an admin person for the grad school that has little knowledge of the decision-making process of individual departments. At many schools I've heard from (waitlist and otherwise) my status on the website never actually changed one way or the other, changed way late, etc. If you've already heard from them, your "Decision Made" moment happened a while ago, and I very much doubt that you' should assume the worst just cuz they have to mail notifications to a wave of rejected folks who were never on the list in the first place.

I think this 

Good point. I should just go read some Faulkner to keep myself busy and off the boards ;)

I am waitlisted at Michigan, I sent DGS a letter around the end of February, should I send him another letter inquiring about the list at this point of time?

I definitely would.

Major props! While we'd certainly miss out on an excellent student at UT should you end up there, you should of course go where you feel is best  :)

Haha, you bet your ass I did. And I waxed poetic about how much I love their program. I really wanted in. :)

Caroline how did you structure your email? I'm on a couple of waitlists and haven't contacted them for about a month and I'm throwing around the idea of saying something, I'm just not sure what!

Haha, you bet your ass I did. And I waxed poetic about how much I love their program. I really wanted in. :)

Yep, ditto. I even emailed a POI and was thrilled to receive an enthusiastic email back about how much he would "absolutely love" if I could join them at UNC. I didn't really temper my excitement. I received an offer a few days later. If you want in, and you really want in, I'd be sure to let your waitlist school know. 

Yep, ditto. I even emailed a POI and was thrilled to receive an enthusiastic email back about how much he would "absolutely love" if I could join them at UNC. I didn't really temper my excitement. I received an offer a few days later. If you want in, and you really want in, I'd be sure to let your waitlist school know. 

Same question for you Christa.....what did you say to your POI? I'm planning to email the DGS at my top school again after a month (where I'm waitlisted) and I want to come across as strongly as possible!