Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)

Accepted off the waitlist at Illinois Urbana-Champaign!

I am pretty much decided on another school, but I was kind of hoping to hear from the waitlisted schools on my list before I made that decision final, and hey! What do you know?

I am pretty much decided on another school, but I was kind of hoping to hear from the waitlisted schools on my list before I made that decision final, and hey! What do you know?

Congratulations!

Congrats, LCB! Where are you leaning?

Congrats, LCB! Where are you leaning?

I'm leaning towards Michigan State! They have a lot more of the stuff that I want to do, and honestly the only drawbacks I have right now is that I'm being offered more money elsewhere and I like Louisville as a city better. But I'm going for the program, not the city, and while the money is important, I think MSU gives me more opportunities for what I want to do, which matters on the job market end of things.

I'm leaning towards Michigan State! They have a lot more of the stuff that I want to do, and honestly the only drawbacks I have right now is that I'm being offered more money elsewhere and I like Louisville as a city better. But I'm going for the program, not the city, and while the money is important, I think MSU gives me more opportunities for what I want to do, which matters on the job market end of things.

Awesome! I assume you're on the WRAC side? Most of English is still waiting to hear about funding, but if it comes through I'm leaning that way myself. I Had s fantastic time at the visiting weekend.

Awesome! I assume you're on the WRAC side? Most of English is still waiting to hear about funding, but if it comes through I'm leaning that way myself. I Had s fantastic time at the visiting weekend.

I am on the WRAC side. I'm a bit sad about the disciplinary divide - that's actually one of the other things that I don't like as much. I come from a program where rhet/comp is with the lit and creative writing folks and I love it here. But I agree, I liked the weekend and I like the program a lot. Hopefully funding gets figured out for y'all soon, though! I'm sending good vibes.

I am on the WRAC side. I'm a bit sad about the disciplinary divide - that's actually one of the other things that I don't like as much. I come from a program where rhet/comp is with the lit and creative writing folks and I love it here. But I agree, I liked the weekend and I like the program a lot. Hopefully funding gets figured out for y'all soon, though! I'm sending good vibes.

Thanks :) and if we both end up there we'll need to meet up to bridge the disciplinary divide!

If anyone else is waiting for Comp Lit at Harvard, I talked to the DGS today. She said the committee just needs to wait for one more admitted student to decline, then they'll reach the spot where they can start pulling from the waitlist!

I'm so excited :)

Accepted off the wait-list at UMD, my first choice, for 19th C. American.  Now I have to figure out how to move the family caravan to suburban Maryland.  (Help!)

I appreciate what a mutually supportive environment you all have made here this year. 

Accepted off the wait-list at UMD, my first choice, for 19th C. American. Now I have to figure out how to move the family caravan to suburban Maryland. (Help!)

I appreciate what a mutually supportive environment you all have made here this year.

Yay second careerists!!! Congratulations and good luck with the move :D

Accepted off the wait-list at UMD, my first choice, for 19th C. American. Now I have to figure out how to move the family caravan to suburban Maryland. (Help!)

Welcome to UMD! Let me know if you have any questions. I moved to DC (yup, I live in DC proper; it's only a twenty minute drive to campus) from California two summers ago with the hubs and our dog. My advice? If you have the money (I know, a big if there), pay movers to do the moving for you.

Tell me more about this family caravan! Who does it entail? Kids? Pets?

Welcome to UMD! Let me know if you have any questions. I moved to DC (yup, I live in DC proper; it's only a twenty minute drive to campus) from California two summers ago with the hubs and our dog. My advice? If you have the money (I know, a big if there), pay movers to do the moving for you.

Tell me more about this family caravan! Who does it entail? Kids? Pets?

Thank you, everyone!  ProfLorax, yes, I'm married, and we have a 9 year old daughter, so among other concerns is school.  We're also moving from a place where the natural world is right outside our doors, and community is central to everything - a small town, basically, where everything happens face to face and on a small scale, including relationships with teachers and school administrators and so on.  So, changes in work, school, and landscape, with no very clear idea of how to find a community of reasonably like-minded people  = a big move.  We lived in New York City for many years, but by the time our kid came along, I knew how to find what I was looking for, and it was not hard to adapt.  I'm less familiar with the DC area, and know virtually nothing about the schools or where and how to find the natural world, etc.  I've been thinking about the benefits / drawbacks of DC vs. MD.  Is it ok if I PM you with some questions?  

Edited by greenmt

Greenmt: please do! For the time being, look into Takoma Park, MD. Great community with some green space, and I have heard that Montgomery County public schools are pretty good. There's loads to do with kids here!