comparative literature acceptance thread!

I phoned Cornell to ask, I never got an email.

Thanks for the info! I guess I should try and email them then, I think at this point it will be better for my mental state if I can just let go of that dream once and for all.

ManyYearsLater I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I've been trying to not read anything into their silence but argh, I think when I get the rejection I'll realise that I have been building castles in the sky this whole time. 

I just emailed Cornell and got a lightning-fast response: rejection :( But I still think I'm better off knowing.

Ah darn it sorry Katla :( I think you're right tho, I feel like it's better knowing at this point. Agitation is just getting to me... Feels like rejection anyway, only with more uncertainty lol.

On that note, anybody apply to Cuny? Hear anything about that process? Search suggests I'll be waiting a while longer :'(

Anyone applied to Indiana? 

I did! I got an email a few days ago saying they could not offer me admission at this time, and that they would let me know if anything changed by May 1st. Slightly confusing.

I did! I got an email a few days ago saying they could not offer me admission at this time, and that they would let me know if anything changed by May 1st. Slightly confusing.

Shirbs I was waitlisted there and I liked the program and the faculty. But I just learned they didn't fund all the admitted students this year, and now being waitlisted seems to suggest an even smaller chance of getting funded... Anyway, congrats to your acceptances!! Did you apply to the Italian program at Georgetown (for I remember they don't have graduate programs in comp lit)?

Edit: Just saw you're in Illinois! I got accepted in UIUC and really want to learn more about the city ^_^ ...Are you living there?

Edited by nahis

Shirbs I was waitlisted there and I liked the program and the faculty. But I just learned they didn't fund all the admitted students this year, and now being waitlisted seems to suggest an even smaller chance of getting funded... Anyway, congrats to your acceptances!! Did you apply to the Italian program at Georgetown (for I remember they don't have graduate programs in comp lit)?

Edit: Just saw you're in Illinois! I got accepted in UIUC and really want to learn more about the city ^_^ ...Are you living there?

Thanks! Now I have to decide between the schools which is making me even more nervous than waiting for acceptances. Yes GU was for the Italian program. 

Congrats on Illinois!! I actually was born in Champaign and have lived there my whole life (except this year.. I'm in Italy on an internship). I went to undergrad there, so if you have any questions I can definitely help you out! I really loved the school and all the comp lit/Italian faculty and am hoping I can return for the PhD program after an MA. 

Thanks! Now I have to decide between the schools which is making me even more nervous than waiting for acceptances. Yes GU was for the Italian program. 

Congrats on Illinois!! I actually was born in Champaign and have lived there my whole life (except this year.. I'm in Italy on an internship). I went to undergrad there, so if you have any questions I can definitely help you out! I really loved the school and all the comp lit/Italian faculty and am hoping I can return for the PhD program after an MA. 

I read your other post, well both of them are great! I'll also vote for Georgetown because of the length of their program.

I just got admitted into the MA program at Indiana but was told to wait for funding info...And the same scenario with my Illinois acceptance. I doubt if I could sleep well before I wait it out...

Also Thanks!! I'm more inclined to Indiana if I get funded there, but I too found the faculty at Illinois very lovely, and your comments make their offer more attractive to me.  :)

Edited by nahis

Congratulations Nahis!! Amazing season!

And folks, still no news from UPenn? I guess at this point for the sake of my sanity I should maybe assume implied rejection. But seriously, not even one acceptance on result board??

Anyone hear from Cuny's comparative literature dept?

I'm pretty sure someone posted about having had an interview with them in the interview thread, so my guess is they have made their initial approaches to some candidates.

I'm pretty sure someone posted about having had an interview with them in the interview thread, so my guess is they have made their initial approaches to some candidates.

Thanks Katla, I saw that too. Holdin out hope, I read elsewhere that they've made offers as late as April 14. 

And folks, still no news from UPenn? I guess at this point for the sake of my sanity I should maybe assume implied rejection. But seriously, not even one acceptance on result board??

Quena thanks! Best of luck with UPenn! 

Quena, I e-mailed the department yesterday and just got a kind response saying that I wasn't accepted.  Best of luck to you though!

Quena, I e-mailed the department yesterday and just got a kind response saying that I wasn't accepted. Best of luck to you though!

Oh...sorry to hear... well for my part I already sort of assumed rejection anyway. Thanks for the info!

guys... I'm admitted to Colorado Boulder with funding (tuition covered and TA). I like the idea of moving to the US and I'm really happy to finally get a funded admission. But on the other hand I'm also hesitating because the program is a two-year MA. I was applying to their PhD program but from this year onward they do not have a PhD program anymore. I was informed about a month after submitting my application and decided to continue applying for the MA anyway, considering I had already handed in everything.

Opinions? Thoughts? Any intel about the university or the program? I would REALLY appreciate your help

guys... I'm admitted to Colorado Boulder with funding (tuition covered and TA). I like the idea of moving to the US and I'm really happy to finally get a funded admission. But on the other hand I'm also hesitating because the program is a two-year MA. I was applying to their PhD program but from this year onward they do not have a PhD program anymore. I was informed about a month after submitting my application and decided to continue applying for the MA anyway, considering I had already handed in everything.

Opinions? Thoughts? Any intel about the university or the program? I would REALLY appreciate your help

Wow, congratulations!!!! That's excellent news!!! I know nothing about the programme or the university though it's supposed to be good...

I know you're already getting a two year masters from Glasgow and somewhere in Spain and technically have a PhD lined up with your supervisor, no? How would funding work for that? I think the setup for American mas are slightly different from the British ones so it could be a great opportunity to further develop your research and network... It might maske it easier to apply for the PhDs next time around... On the other hand you might have a really good idea of these things already or this could feel more like passing time rather than actually helping you progress research wise... Basically is a tricky one... I think I would let it depends on how certain type UK phd is...

Regardless though, huge congratulations!!!

Thanks Katla! The funding is indeed the tricky part. You probably already know how things work in Europe in general: admission and funding are two different stories... (oh and my potential PhD position would be in the Spanish university that I attended as the 'Home institution'. Very confusing MA program that I'm attending :P ). In my particular case, I have witnessed how hard it was to get funding in Spain. I have friends who graduated last summer and are still waiting to hear from the scholarship they applied to long before graduation. And frankly, the amount of work (and bureaucracy) for scholarship applications is just... not looking attractive...

So my initial back-up plan was to get in the PhD program first and find a summer job so I can worry about funding later. ( Mine is a public university which means that tuition fee is near nothing. Funding is mostly covering living costs, research expenses, insurance, stuff like that). I have so given up hope on my whole USA project that I'm seriously thinking about this plan B these days and have considered all the deadlines & arrangements etc.. Now that plan A is (sort of) alive again I'm slightly confused but anyway, I guess I can at least be happy for a few days first :D

Edited by quena

I was accepted to CU Boulder as well yesterday via e-mail! Tuition waiver and TAship! I did my undergrad at CU and loved it so much I decided to get my Masters here as well. If literature is truly your thing, you'll love it too. Trust me!  :) There are so many wonderful and brilliant language/literature professors here (especially from the Italian and French department) it's not even funny. What are your languages?

I was accepted to CU Boulder as well yesterday via e-mail! Tuition waiver and TAship! I did my undergrad at CU and loved it so much I decided to get my Masters here as well. If literature is truly your thing, you'll love it too. Trust me!  :) There are so many wonderful and brilliant language/literature professors here (especially from the Italian and French department) it's not even funny. What are your languages?

Congratulations on your acceptance! 

I'm a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese but my main research language is Spanish. Were you a French/Italian major? I currently live in Italy :D

Would you mind if I PM you? :P

I had an interview with them some three weeks ago or so and what I've heard from them since its that they've made their initial acceptances. The only reason they'd send out more is if these first ones don't accept.

Sorry youngcharlie!

And yes, huge congratulations to you rodomonte!

Edited by Katla

• 3 weeks later...