comparative literature acceptance thread!

Oh, finally created an account. For more than three weeks I could just read your guys' posts and couldn't do anything. I love the energy here. I have applied for two great programs, Stanford and Harvard. Haven't heard anything yet, guess that's implied rejection, huh?

Welcome to the group! I don't think anyone's heard from Stanford either, but unfortunately Harvard accepts and waitlists have been released over the past week :(

On a different note, the results page says somebody got into Princeton?? Show yourself :D explain the good news! I'm waiting to hear from there as well.

Has anyone heard from the University of Chicago?

Not a single word from Chicago! Am waiting anxiously as well.

Does anyone know when NYU will be sending out their decisions? 

Someone posted an acceptance a couple of weeks ago, so personally I'm considering it an implied rejection. (I've applied to them once before and they're beyond tardy with their rejection emails).

Welcome to the group! I don't think anyone's heard from Stanford either, but unfortunately Harvard accepts and waitlists have been released over the past week :(

Someone posted a thread about having been shortlisted for Stanford, and an old comment on the results board refers to an email where it says that only shortlisted candidates are considered for an offer. Of course we have no visible evidence of an admission on the results board yet, but I think this is another implied rejection :(

And yes, congrats to whoever got accepted to Princeton! And good luck to you U Chicago people :D

Someone posted an acceptance a couple of weeks ago, so personally I'm considering it an implied rejection. (I've applied to them once before and they're beyond tardy with their rejection emails).

Someone posted a thread about having been shortlisted for Stanford, and an old comment on the results board refers to an email where it says that only shortlisted candidates are considered for an offer. Of course we have no visible evidence of an admission on the results board yet, but I think this is another implied rejection :(

And yes, congrats to whoever got accepted to Princeton! And good luck to you U Chicago people :D

I have a hard time understanding “shortlist". I got accepted at Purdue. Does anyone get acceptance from there too?

Uhm, I haven't been on this board yet this year because I got kinda obsessed with gradcafe last application circle, which ended in rejections across the board. But I just got an email from University of Maryland's Comp Lit Program saying "You have emerged as one of our most serious candidates. Before we make you an official offer, however, we would very much like to know how seriously you are considering your candidacy to our program."
I'm trying not to freak out (but I already did a couple of times)... :D
Did anyone else apply to UMD for comp lit or knows something about the whole thing and what all of this means?

Hello, HelloThisIsDog (best username) -- Did you apply for Comp Lit or English at UChicago?

I applied for Comp Lit, and funny enough, just received my rejection email a few minutes ago.

Best of luck to other applicants.

That's UChicago, Princeton, and Columbia turned down for me. Still waiting.... it's gonna be an exciting week.

I applied for Comp Lit, and funny enough, just received my rejection email a few minutes ago.

Best of luck to other applicants.

That's UChicago, Princeton, and Columbia turned down for me. Still waiting.... it's gonna be an exciting week.

Hugs...I have just received rejection from Princeton as well. And I got a letter from Uchicago saying that they are recommending me for MAPH admission. I don't really know anything about it. Have you heard anything?

Hugs...I have just received rejection from Princeton as well. And I got a letter from Uchicago saying that they are recommending me for MAPH admission. I don't really know anything about it. Have you heard anything?

Same here! And this is my fourth rejection so far..

Unfortunately, I've seen some complaints of their MAPH program on GC (and of unfunded complit MA programs in general). Don't know if it's worth attending if I finally got into nowhere this year.. Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by nahis

I was rejected from PhD and was recommended to MAPH too... I believe that might be an unfunded MA...

I was rejected from PhD and was recommended to MAPH too... I believe that might be an unfunded MA...

I highly highly do NOT recommend MAPH if you're planning on continuing to a PhD. And yes, it's unfunded and very expensive. Message me if you have any questions!

I highly highly do NOT recommend MAPH if you're planning on continuing to a PhD. And yes, it's unfunded and very expensive. Message me if you have any questions!

And one more thing: MAPH is a general MA in the humanities. You can pick your focus (English, Art History, etc.), but it's definitely not a Comp Lit program.

And one more thing: MAPH is a general MA in the humanities. You can pick your focus (English, Art History, etc.), but it's definitely not a Comp Lit program.

SubmarineReflection, congrats to you! You must be really wonderful to get into those schools. I am accepted at Purdue and I wonder whether I can do a joint degree or take a minor? And I hear that in US, students can transfer schools, how does that work? Thx.

Transferring is actually really difficult and not often done because credits often won't transfer so you extend your coursework period.  Also, I second SubmarineReflection on MAPH, which I did with a partial tuition scholarship.  I had a great experience, but it isn't worth the debt.  Search this forum for MAPH and you'll see threads full of debate about it.  A new one pops up pretty much every year when MAPH accepts 100+ people.

Transferring is actually really difficult and not often done because credits often won't transfer so you extend your coursework period. Also, I second SubmarineReflection on MAPH, which I did with a partial tuition scholarship. I had a great experience, but it isn't worth the debt. Search this forum for MAPH and you'll see threads full of debate about it. A new one pops up pretty much every year when MAPH accepts 100+ people.

I get really blue today, since I saw a post recommending going to only top25 schools. But Purdue is not. Right now I am waitlisted at Michigan and don't know how to improve my chances of getting into there...blue

Do you want to stay and teach in the US or would you plan on returning to China (I seem to recall you saying you were Chinese on another thread; my apologies if I'm misremembering).  If teaching outside the US is a plan/option, try to get information on whether rank of the US institution matters as much.  Maybe it doesn't.  Also, that top 25 number is pretty blurry in that different rankings have different schools in the 25-40 or 50 range, which means that outside the big-name Ivies and public Ivies, there's some slippage.  

As for the UMich waitlist, make sure you email them to say you're enthusiastic about the program and hopeful of an offer.  Any things that you may be able to add as updating your application profile can be good to send on (papers sent out for review, conferences accepted to attend, lectures given. . .really anything that you can update since your original application).  Since it is an unranked waitlist, showing interest/enthusiasm and ongoing scholarly activity might make a difference.  No idea but it can't hurt.  Good luck!

Do you want to stay and teach in the US or would you plan on returning to China (I seem to recall you saying you were Chinese on another thread; my apologies if I'm misremembering). If teaching outside the US is a plan/option, try to get information on whether rank of the US institution matters as much. Maybe it doesn't. Also, that top 25 number is pretty blurry in that different rankings have different schools in the 25-40 or 50 range, which means that outside the big-name Ivies and public Ivies, there's some slippage.

As for the UMich waitlist, make sure you email them to say you're enthusiastic about the program and hopeful of an offer. Any things that you may be able to add as updating your application profile can be good to send on (papers sent out for review, conferences accepted to attend, lectures given. . .really anything that you can update since your original application). Since it is an unranked waitlist, showing interest/enthusiasm and ongoing scholarly activity might make a difference. No idea but it can't hurt. Good luck!

Yeah. I am a Chinese and thank you very much. I don't know whether I would go back to China right now. But I have this in mind as well since I am the only child in my family. However I also want to work in US first. The job market is bad in US, though, I heard. One of my professor graduated from Purdue and taught in a top Chinese university. There are not many Chinese students going to the states pursuing a phd of literature. They go for CS or EE, something like that.

For Michigan, I have sent an email to the DGS one week ago, if I resend hom an email, will it annoy him? Or can I send emails to POIs I mentioned in my sop? Thank you sooo much

The post about top25 schools really discourages me and I am thinking whether I should reapply or take a job in China. 5555

I'm also a Chinese applicant.

Regarding job placement in China, it also depends on your undergraduate major (and the institution from where you got your BA degree, I hate to say this but it's kind of true). For example, while both holding a PhD in Comp Lit, a candidate who has a BA degree in Portuguese will probably have a bigger shot landing a teaching position (or a job outside of academia for that matter) than the other one who has done his/her BA in... say... English. Of course, in the end it all comes to personal competence and, a bit of luck :P .

I'm speaking from personal experience, it could be entirely wrong.

I'm also a Chinese applicant.

Regarding job placement in China, it also depends on your undergraduate major (and the institution from where you got your BA degree, I hate to say this but it's kind of true). For example, while both holding a PhD in Comp Lit, a candidate who has a BA degree in Portuguese will probably have a bigger shot landing a teaching position (or a job outside of academia for that matter) than the other one who has done his/her BA in... say... English. Of course, in the end it all comes to personal competence and, a bit of luck :P .

I'm speaking from personal experience, it could be entirely wrong.

Quena, I have been reading your posts. Maybe we should add wechat. Haha