First interview function is "casual dinner with faculty"

I just gave advice to someone else on this topic, and yours is even more clear-cut! I think jeans (no holes or anything) with a nice sweater and some decent shoes is perfectly acceptable.

You definitely don't want to be too formal. Once you're in grad school there's a good chance your profs will drink beer and watch football with you, so they're used to scruffy grad students. ;)

I just gave advice to someone else on this topic, and yours is even more clear-cut! I think jeans (no holes or anything) with a nice sweater and some decent shoes is perfectly acceptable.

You definitely don't want to be too formal. Once you're in grad school there's a good chance your profs will drink beer and watch football with you, so they're used to scruffy grad students. ;)

That paints a nice picture. Just gotta get over my initial fear! I'm normally so social, I swear. Thank you for the outfit advice, it actually prompted me to think of something hanging in my closet that will work!

Honestly, I think it means whatever. If you like wearing your gym clothes while traveling (i've been known to wear basketball shorts on planes, but i fly at least 5 times a year) then I think thats ok. I don't think they will hold it against you. 

Another thing you can do is bring a change of clothes in your carry on and then change in the bathroom so they are fresh. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

Changing (or just freshening up) in the bathroom is a fantastic idea. Do this while you're still in the secure side of the airport and you won't even have to worry about them seeing you before you're ready. I highly recommend it. Pop a breath mint, double check your hair and makeup, and maybe change clothes if need be.