Distance courses to overcome a Bad GPA?

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster!

I'm from India, with a Bachelors Degree in Engineering. 

My GPA at the time of graduating (back in 2011) is 6.38 on a ten point scale, with a couple of failed courses. I have no excuses for this!

I'm currently working with an NGO as a policy researcher and I intend to apply for MPP/ MPA programs to some of the top universities in a few years (say 2 or 3).

However, given my background, I was wondering if anyone happened to know of any distance courses I could take to enhance my profile? In India, there are a few distance masters programs in Economics. Also, the some Universities offer a Graduate Diploma Certificate in some subjects.

Do these courses add value and do universities (HKS, WWS, SIPA etc) view such courses as a person trying to make up for his terrible GPA or am I just wasting my time (and money) with them?

I know there are alot of factors like the GRE, SOP etc that are taken into consideration, but just thought someone here might have a view on the topic.

Was thinking of ways I could make my profile more competitive given my dodgy academics.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

invincible49

I do not know that grading system, but is that a  bad GPA for engineering? Did you take any social science, statistics, economics courses? Did you do well in those? 

I started my BA in a hard science field and had average grades for the program.  The grades look horrendous taken out of context and compared to someone is a social science program. I was able to get into an MPA with my GPA from my last two years of undergrad, a strong SOP, and a good work history.

A good GRE and SOP, with work experience, can overcome bad GPAs for some schools.  If you can take a graduate level course related to PA or PP, then take one to show that you are serious and capable. 

Edited by WhatAmIDoingNow

Firstly, thanks for your input.

The GPA as a whole is OK I suppose, but I did have quite a few Cs and Ds and a couple of Fs on my transcript.

I did not have any social sciences or economics. I'm looking to do some online courses in economics.

I am trying to improve my profile by working as a researcher. But I am not too sure whether top MPP/ MPA programs accept online courses. Any ideas? 

Firstly, thanks for your input.

The GPA as a whole is OK I suppose, but I did have quite a few Cs and Ds and a couple of Fs on my transcript.

I did not have any social sciences or economics. I'm looking to do some online courses in economics.

I am trying to improve my profile by working as a researcher. But I am not too sure whether top MPP/ MPA programs accept online courses. Any ideas? 

They may not transfer the credit, but should accept that you made the effort and are a capable student. You just need one acceptance.

Many programs have prerequisites of a public affairs course, social statistics course, and/or a microeconomics course.  Online courses from legitimate colleges and universities (national, state, private, community) are acceptable for prerequisites. 

You can also contact the programs you are interested in to seek guidance. Programs have staff that are paid to help with admissions questions and issues.  

you are not competitive at a top school program. period. whoever tells you different is delusional.

your only choice is to take online courses WITH GRADE from a renowned university.

your options are:

* UC Berkeley Extension (cheapest)
* I think Columbia offers some online certificates with grades but they are super expensive

* a purely online master's related to IR from a recognized university (American University offers a master's in Applied Economics that is entirely online iirc)

* other renowned universities not listed here

this is what is known as an alternate transcript. essentially you will be completing a master's in something else so that your bachelor's transcript is not considered at all. let me put it this way: if you get master's degree from American University and you graduate with a 4.0 GPA from that program the admissions committee won't even bother looking at your bachelor's degree transcript since it does not reflect who you are today

good luck

I do recommend UCLA Extension, which is even cheaper than UC Berkeley. I paid just $595 to take an microeconomics course online, and my university accepted it as a prerequisite for enrolling. I strongly suggest you take some to prove you have good quantitative skills, which will go a ways to set off a bad GPA.

Thank you everyone for your advise.

Do the extension course come with transcripts as well? We do not have such a system in India so I am unaware.

Secondly, the Open University in India has an MA in Economics. Would anyone be able to suggest if it would be better to do a bunch of online modules (from UCB, UCLA etc) or a distance MA Economics, from India. It would be extremely expensive for me to do an online Masters from an american university. At this stage I just cannot afford it.

I took two economics classes at my undergraduate institution last summer as a non-degree seeking student. I got As in both classes but, to my dismay, they had no effect on my GPA. They were listed in a separate section of my transcripts. I know they still help my overall profile and I'm still glad I took the classes, but I would just make sure taking classes now will affect your UGPA if that's your goal.

As horrendous as it looks, I have come to the realization that there is nothing I can do about my transcripts.

That being said, I am hopeful that adcoms can see I am trying to make a cogent argument for myself through extension courses and my work ex in policy research.

Any ideas if I should start the courses immediately or wait closer to when I actually apply?

Thanks

As horrendous as it looks, I have come to the realization that there is nothing I can do about my transcripts.

That being said, I am hopeful that adcoms can see I am trying to make a cogent argument for myself through extension courses and my work ex in policy research.

Any ideas if I should start the courses immediately or wait closer to when I actually apply?

Thanks

Start now.  Then you can show good grades and initiative. Plus if you wait until you apply, then the classes won't be on the transcripts you submit. 

Edited by WhatAmIDoingNow