age and getting into a Ph.D. program

L83Ste

Does anyone know if age of the applicant is a factor in the decision-making process? 

I'm almost 34 and worried that the committees are going to look at me and think I'm too old to accept. One faculty member at my undergrad institution mentioned this, so I am curious if anyone has any idea if it really is that important. 

Edited by L83Ste

No I can tell u honestly age dosen´t matter on the end its important to finish the Phd and to enjoy it. So keep going on and please don't matter about age.

I have a friend he started Undergrad too with 26 and Phd with 32 and he has now his dream job. So don't let any number take your dream :-) 

No I can tell u honestly age dosen´t matter on the end its important to finish the Phd and to enjoy it. So keep going on and please don't matter about age.

I have a friend he started Undergrad too with 26 and Phd with 32 and he has now his dream job. So don't let any number take your dream :-) 

I'd like to echo that statement. There are many people in Clinical/Counselling programs over the age of 30, and even 40 starting their degrees (both at the Master's and PhD levels). 

Don't fret about your age. Just worry about what you can control, which is how great your application is! 

Edited by 3minutes

I have had an interviewer make a comment to me being biased against age, but in the other direction. I got the distinct impression he did not want to take out a 21 year old student fresh out of undergrad, because he said those types of students tended to view PhD more as just the next stage of school and not a career, whereas older applications viewed the PhD as a career itself and not a step towards a career. Now, this is only one profs opinion, but some of my advisers have echoed this sentiment that older applicants seem more serious and are thus less of a risk to take on.

Had a well respected faculty member who had wrote many books on getting into PhD programs tell me to view my older age (28..jeez! Not THAT old) as a positive thing.. Most faculty take it that you're more mature, more serious about your long term career goals, and are more willing to invest in you as a student. Not to bash any young 20s applicants out there at all..but when I was 21, I didn't know who I was or what I was doing. Props to those who do! But being older is a positive thing and I have heard that from many people across the board.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your responses.

My undergrad institution used to admit quite a few nontraditional students, but it seems to be changing now. I had said something before about considering a career as a psychiatrist and was told by a professor that I would not be accepted into medical school because I was too old. So, that dream went out the window. I was told by someone else that once I got my Ph.D. I would likely not be able to be a graduate school professor that focuses on research because of my age. This person said that usually those people go straight from high school to undergrad and then to graduate school. So, now the dream is to be a professor who teaches and does research at an undergrad institution. Now I'm told by someone that I might be discriminated against in this process because of my age. 

I'm going to keep trying. I don't care what they say. I know what I can do! :) 

Had a well respected faculty member who had wrote many books on getting into PhD programs tell me to view my older age (28..jeez! Not THAT old) as a positive thing.. Most faculty take it that you're more mature, more serious about your long term career goals, and are more willing to invest in you as a student. Not to bash any young 20s applicants out there at all..but when I was 21, I didn't know who I was or what I was doing. Props to those who do! But being older is a positive thing and I have heard that from many people across the board.

I've been told this same thing. Non-traditional students are more focused and have a better idea of what they want, at least in the eyes of the faculty I talked to about age. 

I also know a graduate student at my institution who is at least 55. 

You have a great attitude about this, I wish you the best of luck. :)

The only negative thing I've ever heard/read was someone else's experience on this forum, where they weren't hired (or might not have been hired) as a professor, because they wouldn't be able to work at the university for as long, I suppose.

There are others of us not-as-young ones lurking around here. You're not alone!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your responses.

My undergrad institution used to admit quite a few nontraditional students, but it seems to be changing now. I had said something before about considering a career as a psychiatrist and was told by a professor that I would not be accepted into medical school because I was too old. So, that dream went out the window. I was told by someone else that once I got my Ph.D. I would likely not be able to be a graduate school professor that focuses on research because of my age. This person said that usually those people go straight from high school to undergrad and then to graduate school. So, now the dream is to be a professor who teaches and does research at an undergrad institution. Now I'm told by someone that I might be discriminated against in this process because of my age. 

I'm going to keep trying. I don't care what they say. I know what I can do! :)

Eesh. Whoever says "usually those people go straight from high school to undergrad and then to graduate school" is merely making an observation of the age at which most people do something. I doubt they were selected BECAUSE of their age, but simply because the vast majority of applicants happen to BE that age. Most people have kids in their late twenties (okay, I made that stat up), but that doesn't mean I can't have kids at 40, or at 18, for that matter.

I agree with the other posters - I think for the most part it won't be a factor at all, but also may very realistically be an advantage. Definitely, definitely don't give up your dream based on a handful of people's opinions - for every prof like that there are hundreds who think the opposite (again, made those stats up, but you get my point).