Rejection Letters

Anavi

Hi guys,

has anyone gotten officially rejection letters from the universities that they applied to?

I applied to University of Tennessee Knoxville and University at Buffalo and know that they have sent out acceptance letters and invitation E-Mails. BUT, has anyone gotten rejection letters yet? On my application status it says that my application is still under review. 

Thanks for any information  :)

I received one, though it wasn't from either of those schools. It was a generic "blahblahblah thanks for applying but unfortunately..." The interesting part is that my application still states "under review" on the website.

I received one, though it wasn't from either of those schools. It was a generic "blahblahblah thanks for applying but unfortunately..." The interesting part is that my application still states "under review" on the website.

I guess my rejection should be coming :P

Thanks for the info!

I applied to more than my sig says, actually there were 12, but I've only heard from two. I think some of us just applied to really slow programs. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I was going to write to the department to ask, but I don't think it's a good time to bother them at this point with all of the applications they received. I'll wait till the end of this month.

I applied to more than my sig says, actually there were 12, but I've only heard from two. I think some of us just applied to really slow programs. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

"Really slow" made me do some sort of hybrid between a laugh/groan/sigh. Feels painfully slow.

Yea I recieved one in the mail. And one on the website for me to print out and frame I assume lol. 

Yes, I also LOL'd this. I just got Miami in the snail mail - admitting 12-15 this year.

I think framing these is a fantastic idea.

It will look very nice next to my degrees, etc.

And I also want to frame my student loan bills I get in the mail for zero dollars.

Which is confusing - what if I don't send the stub back with zero dollars, am I in default? It's like a darwin award or something.

I think you guys are onto something. People with graduate degrees shouldn't just frame and hang degrees, they should also display rejection letters from graduate programs, journal rejections, grant rejections, etc.

Like a "look at all the crap I've had to deal with but I'm still here!" kind of message.

I think you guys are onto something. People with graduate degrees shouldn't just frame and hang degrees, they should also display rejection letters from graduate programs, journal rejections, grant rejections, etc.

Like a "look at all the crap I've had to deal with but I'm still here!" kind of message.

This is brilliant!

On another (less cynical) note, I've contemplated the idea of someday printing out minis of all my research posters in glossy full colour 8.5x11s, then framing and hanging them in chronological order. I think it would be a really cool sort of progression to display - and MUCH more interesting than a silly old degree. I always think that each poster I make is my best one yet, so it's nice to look back and see that improvement too.  :lol:

Edited by FliesKites

I know some writers do similar things, framing all the rejections they got before their first novel was published. It's sort of reassurance for the young and insecure writers, so they know it isn't easy to get into the business. It's funny that academics seems the same way, we always want to believe the choices are based on merit, but I think a lot of professions have similar stories that back up the notion it really isn't.

I wonder what else funny things I have that could be framed for this purpose.

Haha I actually stumbled across a blog that did exactly this while I was researching grad school and how to apply. I forget the author's name but it was a pretty successful Bio professor, and he posted his normal credentials (BS and PhD institutions, conference presentations, grant awards, journals of publication, etc.) and then below he posted all his academic "failures" - schools, grants, and journals who rejected him. He went on to say how this wasn't a picture of failing though, but an illistration of how much of a crapshoot academia can be sometimes, and how the journey always has new doors to open even when some close. It was also nice to see that really successful people are sometimes rejected too :)

This is brilliant!

On another (less cynical) note, I've contemplated the idea of someday printing out minis of all my research posters in glossy full colour 8.5x11s, then framing and hanging them in chronological order. I think it would be a really cool sort of progression to display - and MUCH more interesting than a silly old degree. I always think that each poster I make is my best one yet, so it's nice to look back and see that improvement too.  :lol:

I've printed posters on fabric and plan to keep them - not sure what I'll do with them, but they would make okay throw blankets lol :'D