Decisions 2015

ashiepoo72

My letter from NYU is very detailed and clear.  My offer from URochester not so much.  It's not even a letter, it's figures on a website.  It doesn't specify much of anything.

It's discomforting, right?

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

It's really amazing what a fantastic professor and a really compelling monograph will do to your brain.

Amen!  I did my MA in espionage history, but because of one book (Albion's Seed) in a colonial America course that I opted to take just to make myself a little better rounded for teaching, I now find myself switching fields so that I can study folkways!

Thanks guys! I'll dish when I get back :) and I'll let you know how the beer was (hint: free beer is amazing).

My mom and grandma are so cute. They're like: "be careful at the bus station! Don't talk to strangers!" And I'm like: "guys, I'm a 26 year old female and worked for years in one of the worst cities in California...I'm well seasoned in suspicion" haha

Thanks guys! I'll dish when I get back :) and I'll let you know how the beer was (hint: free beer is amazing).

My mom and grandma are so cute. They're like: "be careful at the bus station! Don't talk to strangers!" And I'm like: "guys, I'm a 26 year old female and worked for years in one of the worst cities in California...I'm well seasoned in suspicion" haha

This made me laugh.

How exciting Fianna! I'm sure you'll have a blast.

I just got my official funding and offer letters from Minnesota and Binghamton. I don't know how I'm going to decide guys. This is a great problem, but that doesn't make it less agonizing.

I was accepted to UNB's MA in History today! :) :) :) I've been offered $30,000 over two years. Other than those two facts the email was not detailed. It mentioned a letter in the post will arrive soon with more information. But yay! This is the first news I've gotten regarding my applications. One down, two to go!

Teach me the ways, TMP! I hate the idea of haggling, but one of my programs offered me extremely generous funding with guaranteed summer support, while the other one offered a comparable stipend with little to no summer support. Problem is, I would likely accept the no summer support program tomorrow if they gave me summer funds!

I need to wait a few more weeks. Both UCs haven't gotten back to me about $ yet, so I don't even have all the cards laid out. And I'm waiting on OSU and IU, both of which would for SURE throw a wrench in any tentative plans I make.

How do you all feel about declining programs this early? I've started narrowing my list and communicating declines. I'll hold on to 1 or 2 offers until I know I have made up my mind but I don't see a reason to hold up other programs from giving away my slot. 

Also, how are you messaging or planning to message when you decline? I was talking to my advisor about this (who was also DGS) and she was clear that she would like to know where a student was going (or where they were still considering) so that the program knows what they can and can't compete with.

Thoughts?

Teach me the ways, TMP! I hate the idea of haggling, but one of my programs offered me extremely generous funding with guaranteed summer support, while the other one offered a comparable stipend with little to no summer support. Problem is, I would likely accept the no summer support program tomorrow if they gave me summer funds!

I need to wait a few more weeks. Both UCs haven't gotten back to me about $ yet, so I don't even have all the cards laid out. And I'm waiting on OSU and IU, both of which would for SURE throw a wrench in any tentative plans I make.

Simply mention (in private of course) that you have summer funding included in your other package but you really want to attend the program.  PM me for a sample letter (and the two schools' package details)

How do you all feel about declining programs this early? I've started narrowing my list and communicating declines. I'll hold on to 1 or 2 offers until I know I have made up my mind but I don't see a reason to hold up other programs from giving away my slot. 

Also, how are you messaging or planning to message when you decline? I was talking to my advisor about this (who was also DGS) and she was clear that she would like to know where a student was going (or where they were still considering) so that the program knows what they can and can't compete with.

Thoughts?

Your adviser was the DGS- listen to her.  Good DGSs want those details to help them find their benchmarks for better long-term planning for recruitment.

I feel like we need clinics/workshops on these forums for the whole process of application/acceptance/bargaining, etc.  I know it's kind of scattered about but how great would it be in some kind of digestible format?  

I would like a whole series on academic etiquette....and now a question of my own...

I was accepted into my top choice where I had mentioned 3 POIs in my SOP. When I spoke with my primary POI (who I contacted before submitting my application) she said she was happy to work with me, mentioned that another POI would unexpectedly not be accepting new students, but she did not mention the third POI from my personal statement. Do you all think I should just go ahead and contact that third person, and if so should I just directly ask if they are willing to work on my proeject? Or should I assume that person is also available? The person unexpectedly unavailable was not a big deal, but the primary POI and the person I haven't heard from were my two main draws to the program.

I have a question for people here:  have you had difficulty getting in touch with your POIs following your admittance?  At two of my schools I've emailed my POIs and haven't heard anything for a week. I hope this is not foreshadowing. 

I was accepted into my top choice where I had mentioned 3 POIs in my SOP. When I spoke with my primary POI (who I contacted before submitting my application) she said she was happy to work with me, mentioned that another POI would unexpectedly not be accepting new students, but she did not mention the third POI from my personal statement. Do you all think I should just go ahead and contact that third person, and if so should I just directly ask if they are willing to work on my proeject? Or should I assume that person is also available? The person unexpectedly unavailable was not a big deal, but the primary POI and the person I haven't heard from were my two main draws to the program.

I would just reach out to him/her. Are you doing a visit to that campus? I'm scheduling two visits and both left plenty of time for meetings with faculty. I am filling in all POIs and even other people in my subfield just to get familiar with them and gauge interest. Most have been really open to meeting.

I have nothing but good things to say about the department, my POI and the grad students at UCSB. They're a fantastic bunch, and a lot of interesting work is getting done there. Anyone interested in interdisciplinarity (which I totally am) should definitely check them out--they don't just say they encourage it, they act on it. One of the 4 comp fields is pretty much required to be outside the department.

I'm going to have lots of tough decisions to make! I'm at MSU now and absolutely loving it (snow and all!)

If anyone ever wants more information about these departments, shoot me a PM.

Well, now that I've heard from all the schools except the Michigan waitlist, I'm ready to accept an offer but I'm finding it backward to draft an email to the POI at the university I won't be accepting telling him that, well, I won't be accepting that offer.  They have been incredibly helpful, enthusiastic, there's been good communication between us, and the offer is good, so I feel bad about rejecting it. Any thoughts?

I don't see why you should feel bad about rejecting an offer. How many universities rejected your application? It's no different than choosing between competing job offers. Just a simple "thank you" and such would be appropriate, keeping in mind that these people may be your colleagues in the future.