Let's talk about post-interview rejections

Anoniemous

Hello guys! I'm a first-time Canadian applicant to graduate studies in clinical psychology and experimental psychology. I got my first admission decision and unfortunately, it was a post-interview rejection. My irrational mind is having a field day with the information and is telling me that I will get in nowhere... But I won't hear back from the other schools for until at least the end of February! I think I'm not alone in feeling this lack of logic and sanity. And, as prospective psych grad students, we know how helpful social support is, right? :) Anybody in the same boat and would like to talk about it? 

(Edit: if anyone would like to PM me to talk about anything, please please do so! :) )

Edited by Anoniemous

My first notification was a post-interview rejection. After that, my irrational mind also said I wouldn't get in anywhere. However, a week later I got my first acceptance from another school :). So, try not to let it get to you since there are many factors that determine whether or not you'll receive an offer. Often times, it has nothing to do with you. It's really not over till it's over. 

My first notification was a post-interview rejection. After that, my irrational mind also said I wouldn't get in anywhere. However, a week later I got my first acceptance from another school :). So, try not to let it get to you since there are many factors that determine whether or not you'll receive an offer. Often times, it has nothing to do with you. It's really not over till it's over. 

Aw, thank you so much for the encouragement! My rational mind understands that one school's decision has no bearing on the other schools... but my irrational mind is still reigning strong! :P I know it'll get better with time, though. Kind of a random question, but did you ask for feedback after your interview? 

They wouldn't have called you in for an interview if your application wasn't strong in the first place :) otherwise, it'd just be a waste of everyone's time. I didn't for this particular school because I know why I didn't get the offer. It was a lack of fit with the research. But I would definitely advise you to ask for feedback. It will give you things to work on for when you have to interview and deal with other schools. 

They wouldn't have called you in for an interview if your application wasn't strong in the first place :) otherwise, it'd just be a waste of everyone's time. I didn't for this particular school because I know why I didn't get the offer. It was a lack of fit with the research. But I would definitely advise you to ask for feedback. It will give you things to work on for when you have to interview and deal with other schools. 

I've emailed for feedback, hopefully I will get some constructive criticism! :) 

I just joined the club with post-interview rejections. :(

Via email... How can I tactfully ask why? I'm a little shocked because I thought it was a stronger fit. It's so awkward to initiate conversation on without sounding desperate or entitled.

Edited by TheMercySeat

I just joined the club with post-interview rejections. :(

Via email... How can I tactfully ask why? I'm a little shocked because I thought it was a stronger fit. It's so awkward to initiate conversation on without sounding desperate or entitled.

I'm sorry to hear that. :( It hurt terribly for me at first, but after two days of intense brooding and relaxing for the rest of the week, I felt much better. :) Take some time to enjoy life with your friends and family! It's so easy for self-doubt and anxiety to take over during this time. 

I received a personalized rejection email, which I replied to after ~2 days asking for feedback. My email was largely based on this. I haven't gotten a reply though, but it didn't hurt to ask!

I interviewed at a program a few weeks ago, and one acceptance popped up in the Results this weekend. It's driving me crazy that I didn't get any email, acceptance or rejection!

But, assuming it is rejection, I would agree that post-interview really sucks.

VulpesZerda, you could be on a wait-list! They may not tell you that right away though...I believe I was on a wait-list without being told after a Skype interview. I'm only guessing this because I got a rejection e-mail today stating that another student accepted the one slot that was available so I was not offered admission. My guess is that if the student didn't accept it, I would have been somewhere next on the list. Don't give up hope though.

You were right! I was waitlisted but it just took a long time for them to tell me.

I interviewed at a program a few weeks ago, and one acceptance popped up in the Results this weekend. It's driving me crazy that I didn't get any email, acceptance or rejection!

But, assuming it is rejection, I would agree that post-interview really sucks.

I'd assume waitlist. At VCU they said if you didnt hear an acceptance or rejection youre on a waitlist. So that could be you.