Forget What You're Reading....What Are You LISTENING To???

I've been trying to finish up my thesis, so I've been listening to Daft Punk's Alive 2007 album on repeat. There's something about loud, fast club music that motivates me to write about early modern logic. 

This post inspired me to spend my night off listening to this with my SO in the dark with a glass of wine. It is pleasant.

I've been trying to finish up my thesis, so I've been listening to Daft Punk's Alive 2007 album on repeat. There's something about loud, fast club music that motivates me to write about early modern logic. 

This juxtaposition makes my heart happy.

I've been getting more and more into quirky, folksy music (Ugly Casanovas, The Oh Hellos, Ben Howard) as I write about the rhetoric of attention economics. It doesn't really help with writing, because then I'm reminded of how much I want to camping/climbing instead of spending weekends locked in the library. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkn-4yIlhPw

2Pac has gotten me through countless Old English and Latin poetry translation sessions. I have no idea why. Maybe it's just cuz 'Pac and the Anglo-Saxons had an affinity for religious metaphors and alliteration...

2Pac has gotten me through countless Old English and Latin poetry translation sessions. I have no idea why. Maybe it's just cuz 'Pac and the Anglo-Saxons had an affinity for religious metaphors and alliteration...

This is pretty close to an experience I had. My senior year I took a graduate seminar in medieval Latin, and had a playlist of particularly irreverent songs (Petey Pablo's "Freek-A-Leek", for example) that I'd listen to while doing my translations. Translating Bede was all the more fun when it was paired with strains of "Fuck Tha Police." 

Edited by Ramus

This was really awesome. Thanks for posting it!

I liked the Pinkprint quite. There are definitely some songs I could do without, and I don't understand who was in charge of determining the singles because I think there are far better songs on the album than Bed of Lies of Pills N Potions.

Yeah Pills definitely disappointed me... it definitely doesn't match up to the pop ballads she had on Pink Friday (thinking Right Thru Me). Will have to give it another listen, though... I really liked Only but was not pleased with the inclusion of Brown.

As for another album on heavy rotation: (History of Touches, Quicksand, and Black Lake are all solid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ACtMLtMOg

Edited by 1Q84

Yeah Pills definitely disappointed me... it definitely doesn't match up to the pop ballads she had on Pink Friday (thinking Right Thru Me). Will have to give it another listen, though... I really liked Only but was not pleased with the inclusion of Brown.

Pills definitely grew up on me. I just don't think it should've been a single. My favorite thing about Pinkprint though is Nicki really digging back into her rap roots. I may not love all the songs, but she goes hard on pretty much all of them, and I dig that. It's also, as she has said in interviews, her most personal album. And I think that really comes through in a lot of the songs with talking about the break up, the abortion she had when she was younger, etc.

(and I mostly just like to pretend Chris isn't there lol)

Pills definitely grew up on me. I just don't think it should've been a single. My favorite thing about Pinkprint though is Nicki really digging back into her rap roots.

It's too bad they just wanted a chance to pump Dre's Pill speakers or whatever it was... which they did in the Anaconda vid as well. Definitely glad she's back to her rap roots too. I really was hoping that Reloaded would sound like Roman in Moscow because that would've been amazing (still not sure why that single was inexplicably cut from the album either). 

Man. I would love to have the opportunity to write a paper on Nicki Minaj. :P

Metal is and always will be my way of getting through stress.

My pick as of late has been Swallow the Sun, who should be of interest to anyone with a penchant for the gothic. "April 14th" has been my jam as of late. (One of their tunes, "Labyrinth of London", has a reading of William Blake's poetry in the middle of it.)

Edited by silenus_thescribe

• 3 weeks later...

I actually am, though my wife might boycott it over the lack of Dave Grohl interview footage. I was never a big Nirvana fan -- I was maybe one or two years too young to be heavily into them -- but I've always had a healthy appreciation for their contributions to rock music. And "Smells Like Teen Spirit" has been around for nearly 24 years, and it still never gets old...

I actually am, though my wife might boycott it over the lack of Dave Grohl interview footage. I was never a big Nirvana fan -- I was maybe one or two years too young to be heavily into them -- but I've always had a healthy appreciation for their contributions to rock music. And "Smells Like Teen Spirit" has been around for nearly 24 years, and it still never gets old...

Yeah, kind of funny that it's being billed as the most comprehensive Nirvana documentary ever when the trailer basically only shows personal footage of Kurt. I don't really like Grohl though, so I'm okay with it.

And I never really liked Nirvana either... was always more of a Pumpkins fan ;)

And I never really liked Nirvana either... was always more of a Pumpkins fan ;)

Me too! They were my favorite of the 90s bands, really. I just listened to Siamese Dream a few weeks ago, and routinely play their first four albums (yep, even Pisces Iscariot). They kind of lost me with Adore and beyond, however, though some of the post-Mellon Collie and pre-Adore soundtrack work was pretty great too ("Eye" from the Lost Highway soundtrack in particular).

I'm grateful for all the new music suggestions.  Around the house, we've been listening to the Clash (my kid, who's 9, has picked up on London Calling) and Tuneyards, and new records by Mary J. Blige and Joshua Redman and D'Angelo.  In the car, I've been listening to Ulysses on (30!) CDs.

I mostly listen to oldish music - special interest in jazz.  Nineteenth century Americanists might be interested in one that John Zorn put out last year, On Leaves of Grass.  It's instrumental but captures the wild expansiveness and yearning of Whitman, and like Whitman, Zorn is good at the jarring turn that shakes the reader / listener back into consciousness.  NB: the CD package is illustrated with pictures of leaves and flowers from Emily Dickinson's herbarium book.

Me too! They were my favorite of the 90s bands, really. I just listened to Siamese Dream a few weeks ago, and routinely play their first four albums (yep, even Pisces Iscariot). They kind of lost me with Adore and beyond, however, though some of the post-Mellon Collie and pre-Adore soundtrack work was pretty great too ("Eye" from the Lost Highway soundtrack in particular).

Oh man! I'm saddened to hear you say that. I consider Adore my absolute favorite album, despite some of the clunkers. I mean I love MCIS and Siamese Dream as much as the next guy, but I feel like Adore was Billy at his maturest. 

Im gonna put my vote in for Pisces Iscariot. Obscure is one of my fav pumpkins songs..... that album goes from one extreme to another. Whereas I listen to siamese dream a lot and often don't feel, although I have tons of nostalgia for it, that it holds up THAT well. 

BUT, Drown, from the Singles soundtrack, has to be the BEST pumpkins song IMO.

Edited by Appppplication

BUT, Drown, from the Singles soundtrack, has to be the BEST pumpkins song IMO.

Finally! We agree on something ;)

But yes, I heartily maintain that Pisces (on the strength of Obscure,

Pissant, Frail and Bedazzled) should've been a full on release. Just goes to show what incredible artistic energy Billy had during those couple of years.

Oh, seriously, Pisces Iscariot was fabulous. I think "Obscured" is the best track on the album too, though "Pissant," "Hello Kitty Kat," "Girl Named Sandoz," and "Starla" are all pretty fabulous too.

Some of the b-sides from Mellon Collie were great as well -- "Ugly," "Marquis in Spades," "The Aeroplane Flies High" (with Nina Gordon of Veruca Salt!)... Yeah. I miss the mid-90s sometimes. :(

Oh, seriously, Pisces Iscariot was fabulous. I think "Obscured" is the best track on the album too, though "Pissant," "Hello Kitty Kat," "Girl Named Sandoz," and "Starla" are all pretty fabulous too.

Some of the b-sides from Mellon Collie were great as well -- "Ugly," "Marquis in Spades," "The Aeroplane Flies High" (with Nina Gordon of Veruca Salt!)... Yeah. I miss the mid-90s sometimes. :(

Oh wow, I totally have to listen to some pumpkins now. I haven't listened to them in years, but I have an overwhelming urge to hear "obscured" "mayonaise" and "stumbleine".

I miss the mid-90s too :(

I think I might have called "Soma" my "favorite song of all time"  in 1995 or 1996. Saw SP in concert in 1997...it was delayed because of the whole situation with Jimmy and the death of Jonathan Melvoin. Still, Matt Walker was a pretty excellent replacement drummer for that tour... I remember Billy used a mic stand to smash one of the stage lights, which immediately burst into flame. Sophomoric? Sure...but it was entertaining and hilarious.

Yeah, I'm not ashamed to admit that I still put on '90s SP from time to time. Some tracks from Gish hold up well too -- "I Am One," "Rhinoceros," "Crush" etc.

It's really too bad they've (well, he's) become a bit of a mockery of themselves these days. Machina was a travesty, and their subsequent work has just been self-serving, with occasional glimmers of "good."