Dear Digital Humanists...

One of my primary research interests is DH (specifically data mining, data visualization, topic modeling). Though I have applied to several schools this season, I've yet to net one offer. So, I am in the preliminary stages of compiling a list of schools with strong DH resources if I find myself applying again next year. 

So, I'd like to connect with other DHers on here. This is both for my own personal research purposes (What schools are you at? What schools should I apply to next year?) and for networking purposes. I've got a handful of DH projects going at the moment and would love to discuss or virtually collaborate with others who have similar interests. 

I am not attached to the English department, but do a lot of work with them as I do incorporate some DH into my own work.  The DGS is on my committee.  It is an interesting department, and rather large so there are a lot of things going on.  Lots of good interdisciplinary and interdepartmental projects.

Hi,

I applied to a number of places for DH-New media types studies. My interests in Digital Humanities are quite flexible, and tend to steer towards the qualitative in the digital rather than the quantitative in the analog. I have so far been rejected from every place bar one, UC Davis. Which happens to have a growing DH scene. I was hoping for an acceptance from elsewhere so I am still not sure as to whether I will take up the offer. But yes, would be great to connect with other DHers.

Also, among other great schools, I'd seriously suggest looking at UChicago. Stanford (obv) and Columbia have a great program as well, as do Duke, UTA and Brown.

Edited by NotSpyderman

I'm not a DHer, but I do list digital media as one of my interests. Specifically, I'm into digital activist rhetoric. I love studying at UMD, because anyone can take advantage of the lecture series and trainings MITH (Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities) puts on.

Thanks, all! It's lovely to connect with others doing work in the field. I think am going to make a spreadsheet of DH programs, centers, specialities, etc. and include your suggestions. I've not come across a comprehensive list online. If you know of one, feel free to pass it on. 

On 2/17/2015 at 5:51 AM, NotSpyderman said:

Also, among other great schools, I'd seriously suggest looking at UChicago. Stanford (obv) and Columbia have a great program as well, as do Duke, UTA and Brown.

Yeah, Richard Jean So at Chicago appears to be doing some really, really interesting DH work and at Chicago there's already a lot of cross-departmental dialogue and collaboration.

My (limited) experience with DH is from the perspective of medieval studies and from that experience I know St. John's and SLU have a lot going on with DH work -- both schools have been pouring money into that general field in the past few years.  WUSTL has also had a lot of awesome contributions to DH-informed research. Again, my experience is from a medievalist perspective, particularly with regard to medieval manuscript studies, but I'm pretty sure those schools are doing a bunch of great DH work outside of medieval studies too.

Waterloo's English program has several digital humanists which works nicely because the school is a technology-oriented school. Funding opportunities are good due to recent grants. The faculty are very passionate. The work people are doing ranges from mixing more classical stuff (i.e. Shakespeare), to art projects involving critical making and design. Most of these people are affiliated with the Critical Media Lab.

I think MIT's comparative media studies is supposed to be good too. And there's Georgia Tech's digital media program. I think Concordia University in Montreal is into this kind of work as well. I suppose it really depends what type of work you want to do because there are such broad possibilities and each school seems to have its own angle!

WashU also has a graduate certificate program you can add on to your English PHD: https://dash.wustl.edu/graduate-certificate/

First - Greetings fellow DHer!  Much to be said, and I'll try to double back this evening (as one does with thegradcafe).  

What I would note is that while there are some obvious DH centers in the US, Canada in general is very strong in digital humanities and because of government humanities grants and some new private funding, it will likely only get stronger.  We also have a really good community up here as well and are in regular contact about collaborative projects.  If you want to see some of that in action and meet people, highly recommend you check out the Canadian Society of DH conference in Ottawa this June, and of course DHSI in Victoria afterward.

Edited by Childermass

First - Greetings fellow DHer!  Much to be said, and I'll try to double back this evening (as one does with thegradcafe).  

What I would note is that while there are some obvious DH centers in the US, Canada in general is very strong in digital humanities and because of government humanities grants and some new private funding, it will likely only get stronger.  We also have a really good community up here as well and are in regular contact about collaborative projects.  If you want to see some of that in action and meet people, highly recommend you check out the Canadian Society of DH conference in Ottawa this June, and of course DHSI in Victoria afterward.

Hello there! I would *love* to go to DHSI this year, but I am afraid I will need to wait a year. Are you going? 

Hello there! I would *love* to go to DHSI this year, but I am afraid I will need to wait a year. Are you going? 

Probably not this year as I'll be dealing with moving to wherever I decide to do my PhD program/taking a nice vacation from work.  I highly recommend it though.  I quite enjoyed it last year, learned a lot, and made many new friends.  Also - the NW is my favorite area to be in, so very nice to have an excuse to head there every summer.

Probably not this year as I'll be dealing with moving to wherever I decide to do my PhD program/taking a nice vacation from work.  I highly recommend it though.  I quite enjoyed it last year, learned a lot, and made many new friends.  Also - the NW is my favorite area to be in, so very nice to have an excuse to head there every summer.

I couldn't agree with you more. 

FWIW, to all, there's a lot going on in DH on Twitter. If anyone wants to connect on there, send me a PM. 

Also a DHer over here so here are my thoughts (based on programs I've looked at):

As was said above, UChicago (particularly Richard Jean So), Columbia  and Stanford are big places to be for DH. Michigan State is trying to build their program right now, so that might also be a place to check out. Gainseville and Miami both have faculty there who are pushing for more DH (Leah Rosenberg and Donette Francis, that I know of). MITH is another great place to check out. The UC's are also pretty good for this stuff, particularly UCLA, Davis and Berkeley. Cornell--Ithaca is another school I'd check out.

For what it's worth, if you're more interested in acceptance + encouragement rather than community, you might also consider schools that don't already have DH programs but are looking to develop them. They're on the lookout for applicants with these skills and are likely to encourage your interests. Not sure if this helps but I hope it does!

I know Dan Edelstein in the French dept at Stanford is doing a ton of great work on digital databases for letters. Mostly eighteenth and nineteenth century, but his work extends out into other disciplines like english literature because of the exchanges with prominent english authors and so forth.

Edited by kurayamino

I am currently doing research assistant work in DH in Canada. To voice others here, Canada has many strong DH departments, including but certainly not limited to: UVic, SFU (including its Print Culture program within the English graduate program), U of T (including its Book History & Print Culture program), Ottawa

Alan Liu at UCSB is amazing as well! He was a guest speaker at our school, and he really inspired a lot of our cohort to learn more about DH. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not really a DH person, but like ProfLorax, technology is pretty essential to my research and I sometimes find myself participating in DH conversations & reading texts from that area. There's a well-known DH research center at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and many more of them listed here: http://www.hastac.org/content/listing-digital-humanities-centers-and-institutes

Matrix at Michigan State is very active. In recent years, they've done a lot of work in West Africa and African heritage. They have a great graduate student fellowship program in Cultural Heritage Informatics that a couple of my peers have participated in. It sounds like a great learning experience with lots of lectures and workshops built in.