Do you send follow-up "Thank You's" to your interviewers?

MidwesternAloha

Personally, I would.  But I always send follow up emails even after I interview for jobs.

They can be brief emails, I would imagine.

Edited by c m

But how long should they be. I interviewed with 2 profs (one was POI, other was a close friend of theirs) and 4 grad students (2 from the lab of the POI and 2 from other labs). Should the thank yous be longer for the POI/both profs? Should all be short? I am always afraid to be an annoyance as I know they get many emails every day.

I did it at one school I interviewed at, for only a couple of my interviewers + the program coordinator.

I did go in to this process thinking I'd be doing it every time, but I didn't stick to it.

Me too. I've found myself way too exhausted and busy to send thank you emails consistently...

I've been sending them to every person I interview with, the people that coordinated the weekend, and any grad students that were helpful. They are all thoughtful and personalized and I try to add something funny or unique from our conversation. I just set up all the drafts with the emails on the interview list in gmail and write something short unless it's someone I really connected with. Before internet I'd send thank you cards to people I interviewed with for jobs and drop it in the mail on my way home. It might be old school but I've always had positive results from it. 

I always send some kind of thank you. For my first three interviews I sent hand-written thank you notes. For my last two interviews I sent e-mails. The emails were nice because almost all of the professors emailed me back with a positive message, which was encouraging! I know they are busy people so I try to keep my thank-you's short - 4 sentences max.

Edited by mademoiselle2308

I have another question about the thank-you thing but don't want to start a new thread on this. So I interviewed with my first and second choices for the program I applied to and my first choice seemed pretty set on being my supervisor. I also felt he was the best fit for me. I have sent him a substantial thank-you letter mentioning the above and saying I look forward to potentially working with him.

The interview with my second choice was okay, but since all of the faculty will be making decisions as a team and communicating about their students, should I write her a letter saying I am still interested in her supervising me? I don't want to seem indecisive about my supervisor. Any advice? 

I have another question about the thank-you thing but don't want to start a new thread on this. So I interviewed with my first and second choices for the program I applied to and my first choice seemed pretty set on being my supervisor. I also felt he was the best fit for me. I have sent him a substantial thank-you letter mentioning the above and saying I look forward to potentially working with him.

The interview with my second choice was okay, but since all of the faculty will be making decisions as a team and communicating about their students, should I write her a letter saying I am still interested in her supervising me? I don't want to seem indecisive about my supervisor. Any advice? 

I would just thank the interviewer for his/her time and not try to mention supervising.

I would just thank the interviewer for his/her time and not try to mention supervising.

Okay thanks, that makes sense. I want to walk a fine line between being interested and not being AS interested. I want to make sure I convey that I wouldn't mind having the latter person as my supervisor, but only if my first choice decides to give me up for whatever reason.

Edited by Asperfemme

Adding some more general to this thread:

I did send a personalized one to my POI at my one interview. I received an email in response the same day answering my question about the next steps in the process too (unfortunately it didn't have too good news about my POI getting funding).

My current PI (for undergrad), who I've been working with for two years now, said they really appreciate them and that to them, it definetely looks good to send them.

My advice for the situation above (take with a grain of salt though):

I'd send one detailed one to your first choice and possibly thank the interviewer for their time and possibly mentioning trying to collaborate with your second choice if the school seemed open to encouraging that.

I sent super short emails to everyone I interviewed with (2-3 sentences), just thanking them and adding a positive note or two.

Prob not a good idea to email people saying that you hope to potentially work with them, or things like that.

Just kinda communicates the wrong thing

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/25/2015 at 8:14 PM, sskim05 said:

There's this one website suggesting that I send thank you cards instead... Wouldn't that seem like I'm trying too hard? lol

I don't think it'd hurt you, but might just take a lot of time/effort. I'd think emails would be sufficient. 

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, morifol said:

When would you send a 'Thank You' after a Skype interview? The same day? The day after? What would you say if you are going fo the short version?

My thank you was about an hour after the Skype interview (our interview ran long and I had to be somewhere...so it was after my next appt.). It basically said:

"Dear Dr. ___,

I just wanted to thank you so much for taking the time to meet with me today. I enjoyed our discussion on [research] and I am excited about the opportunity of working with you in the future." After the interview, he wanted another Skype session to finish our discussion, so I just made reference to setting up another time after that. 

Hope this helps. :)

8 minutes ago, nevermind said:

My thank you was about an hour after the Skype interview (our interview ran long and I had to be somewhere...so it was after my next appt.). It basically said:

"Dear Dr. ___,

I just wanted to thank you so much for taking the time to meet with me today. I enjoyed our discussion on [research] and I am excited about the opportunity of working with you in the future." After the interview, he wanted another Skype session to finish our discussion, so I just made reference to setting up another time after that. 

Hope this helps. :)

It is really helpful! What if I might not be working with this particular professor? How could I phrase it in a more subtle way? Looking forward to discussing... talking... ?!

Just now, morifol said:

It is really helpful! What if I might not be working with this particular professor? How could I phrase it in a more subtle way? Looking forward to discussing... talking... ?!

Just reiterating interest in attending the program is fine, I think.

"Due to our discussions on [topics], I am even more interested by the prospect of attending ABC program at X University."

2 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Just reiterating interest in attending the program is fine, I think.

"Due to our discussions on [topics], I am even more interested by the prospect of attending ABC program at X University."

Thank you! Superhelpful.