Letting LOR writers know about admission decisions?

drownsoda

I was just accepted into my top choice program, but have not heard from the others I applied to. I feel obligated to let my letter of recommendation writers know the results of my admission, so I was just wondering if I should let them know as each acceptance/denial comes in. I only applied to three programs, and the one I was just accepted to didn't offer me funding, but I still may go for it (depending) since I am virtually in no debt from my undergrad. Would it be weird if I were to send them all emails and let them know about this acceptance, or should I notify them at the end when I've gotten all my responses back?

I sent my letter writers emails after my first acceptance--just basically said this school accepted me, they're high on my list, yay thank you for helping me get this acceptance, but of course I'm going to weigh all my options and visit and stuff. I'm going to send them one more email once I get all the decisions and make my final choice, but I thought it would be good to let them know I'm actually going to grad school. As for whether to update them after each decision--I applied to 8 schools, so I figured I shouldn't overwhelm them. With three schools, it might be ok to give an update for each.

I have a similar question.  Except that also, a couple of my LORs work with someone who is BFFs with one of the senior managers at my firm.  It is a small world.  Since I was one of their star students and a daughter of one of the faculty, I am sure that as soon as I tell someone I am accepted, it will be all over the college, and to the person who is the BFF of the senior manager.  Well, then she will know and then everyone here will know I am leaving.
(I also really like the person who is friends with the senior manager because she talked to us like adults even before I was in college and she has seen my siblings and I grow up)  So, I'm not sure if I want to tell them yet or not...

I think it depends a lot on your relationship with your letter writers. One of them I know very well, and I've told him pretty much everything as it comes in. He has connected me with people who know those programs I was admitted to, and been a sounding board when I'm trying to figure out my feelings about the schools. The second I am not as close with, but he has still helped me out with a lot. I updated him less frequently, about every 2 responses, unless I was already talking to him about something anyway. The third I am the least close with. I told him about my first acceptance, and then updated him recently about the rest.

Since you are only applying to three programs, I don't think it would hurt to send an email for each one, and especially for your first acceptance! Congrats :)

Edited by MathCat

Thanks for the input everyone!

I feel obligated to let them know the results of course, but I just wasn't sure when I should shoot them an email. Had I gotten rejected across the board, I may have never spoken with them again and shamefully went into hiding, but since my first response was an acceptance, I want to let them know and thank them for their help.

Just wasn't sure if it'd be odd for me to update them on the one acceptance, or if I should hold off until I hear from the other programs and make a decision. I may just let them know that their help got me into at least one school!

• 2 weeks later...

My relationships with my letter writers are different: two of them are my current bosses and I see them all the time, so I let them know about every acceptance. (One of them sits next to me and I went barging into his office for one of them!)

The other two letter writes are old profs, who I don't have as close a relationship with. I haven't updated them with any news yet. 

I'm planning to wait until I make a decision, and then get a tiny piece of school-pride swag from my ultimate program (a mini pennant, I think) and send that to each of them, with a hand-written thank-you note and a small gift.

I would just email them once. I am in a similar boat, since I only applied to 2 schools and I just got accepted at one and don't know about the second one yet. I plan to let them know once i hear from school 2 and decide what to do.

I emailed everyone after my first acceptance, where I plan on going but I'm holding out just to be sure. I haven't heard from my other two interviews, but one I'm certain I'll get an offer from and the other one I kind of suspect I was waitlisted.

I actually thanked all my LOR writers at the end of the application period (before I got in anywhere) with a handwritten note and small gift.

I'm very close with two of them, so they've heard about every decision, and one I told just when I ran across her at school.

In general, I've told them as I've run into them around campus. Though I emailed them, excitedly, at some of the bigger moments.... When I got my first interview and first offer for example. Now that all of the decisions have come in, I've been emailing/ meeting with them them for advice on where to go. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to handle it. If you're excited and want to tell them then do it. If you want to wait until you know more info then that's fine too.

Edited by bsharpe269

My letter writers have heard every up and down in the process (I only applied to four programs, though). I see them regularly and I'll just pop into their offices to chat. It really depends on the comfort level with your letter writers. I'm fairly close with all of them, so I tell them most things related to the process as it happens and they don't seem to mind.