Starting grad program summer before official enrollment?

tsgriffey

Once I decide on where I'd like to attend I'm going to ask my grad adviser about this issue, but I wanted to run it by you guys to see what you think. I'm in a really awkward part of my life right now--unable to find substantial work because I'm planning on leaving in about 5 months, but we all know that 5 months can still be a significant demand on our resources and without a decent income life is stressful. Long story short: I recently moved back in with my parents (mom and stepdad) and feel very awkward about it, but with the amount of time left before leaving for the other side of the Atlantic or country I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

My question is: do you think it'd be possible to start taking classes this summer? I'm considering at least moving to where I'll be attending. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Being able to start in the summer usually depends on whether or not a school does rolling admissions. If so, then it shouldn't be a problem. But if you've been officially admitted for the Fall 2015 term, then you may not be able to do anything until that term. At my institution, incoming grad students are able to petition their departments to be allowed to begin language courses if they need them (modern languages) in the summer before their first term, but I have no idea how the funding works in those situations (though if funding isn't part of your admission, then you wouldn't have to worry about that.)

Honestly though, there is absolutely no shame in moving back in with your parents. It's a pretty common occurrence for folks in our line of work (i.e. grad school in the humanities.) And while we all have plenty of friends who have jobs that pay them very well, who are maybe looking into buying their first home, among our grad school peers, virtually no one is in that boat unless they have a partner who rakes it in. Even though I'm married, my wife and I would both definitely be willing to move back in with either of our parents for a while if it came to that (assuming they'd be willing to have us!) I would only move early if you can line up some work in the new location. Otherwise, living rent free (or extremely low rent) with your parents sounds like a pretty good deal.

I know that in years past Duke Divinity had an option of doing your first "field placement" the summer before you started classes (for Mdiv students).  Many people took advantage of this for reasons similar to yours.  I'm not sure if Duke still does it, or if any other schools offer the same opportunities, but it's worth asking about.  

Another option to look into is moving as soon as you reply to the school and starting work in the same town where you will be living and taking classes.  My friend did this a few years ago right after she decided she would be going to Union Theological Seminary in the fall.  A week or so after replying that she wanted to attend, she moved to NYC and found a job near UTS.  She was able to work all summer and save money for school, while also having the advantage of learning the neighborhood before classes began.  

If I were you, I would contact the schools that you applied to now and see what suggestions they have.  Good luck!