Where do I belong? (Philosophy, Comparative Literature, English)

awdrgy

I've been trying to figure this out on my own for some time now, and I think it's time I ask for some other opinions.

I'm graduating this Spring, and I chose not to apply for graduate school in the Fall because I just didn't have any idea at that point in time, and honestly the advice I was given from my advisers was piss-poor or misdirected. Those who are honest with me have described me as having "fringe interests" or interests in "the intersection of things" and what not. I am an English and Philosophy dual major, but I come from  two departments that are actually very weak in the areas where I'm interested.

I read Existentialism primarily, but I'm interested and have read a bit in Critical Theory, Critical Race Theory (and race theory generally), Continental Philosophy, Semiotics, Structuralism/Poststructuralism, and Gender Theory. One of my main interests is Foucault, whether as a philosopher, historical philosophical/social theory figure, a tool kit for social problems, or in terms of his critical and historical methodologies, or really wherever else he is applied.

I got into philosophy reading Nietzsche, and I was really interested in his interpretation of Nietzsche. I am currently getting into Heidegger and his relation with others. From there I plan to branch out and start delving into all of the stuff I didn't read in my undergraduate degree. While I'm sure that Foucault is active all over academia by the broad and intense familiarity with his though, it seems to me that there isn't much attention given to him in the departments he identified (for many reasons I'm sure).

What I'd really be interested in researching is utilizing Foucault's methodologies (and whoever) in a critical and philosophical framework to, for one, start doing historical work on institutions and the creation of subjects as well as discourse, but I would also be interested in historical work on Foucault himself, and surrounding philosophers and theorists such as Nietzsche, Marx, Heidegger, Derrida, and all those in conversation with them and on and on. Lastly, as I said above in less detail, I would also be interested in working on contemporary social problems utilizing Foucault including race, gender, etc. as well as the penal system and education, but I'm also interested in socio-economic analysis in this respect; Ideally, I would like to do all of this. I'm also not dead set on utilizing or working on Foucault at all times, but I use him as a pin point to identify the diverse area of study I'm interested in pursuing, so I would look at any and all figures. The problem I have is that my interests are far and wide, and not overly informed.

This being the case, I haven't been able to target which program would be the best in pursuing work on and with Foucault at the graduate level. I'm still in the process of looking at professors, and I know some of the bigger names and even smaller names, but I haven't been able to find any "strong" dept.'s (except maybe Berkeley) for Foucault scholarship or at least pin down where I should be looking. Is it common to apply to multiple different kinds of departments? It seems to me that the differences in methodology and canon would greatly alter my course. I do plan to apply in the Fall of 2015, and so far I have identified continental Philosophy programs, Comparative Literature programs, English Programs, and programs in rhetoric, discourse, as potential programs.

I have found that there are Critical Theory Emphases at many universities for the humanities, but since they apply to all the available programs, it doesn't help to make a decision. I am definitely more interested in philosophy and theory than literature, but I also don't mind and even like the idea of having to learn 3 or 4 languages by graduation.

I'm also considering doing an MA before moving forward to get a bit more of a handle on things because my department was so weak in my area. I plan to read as much as possible and learn a language. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I'm thinking that in a Comp Lit program it might be necessary, so I can have time to learn some language.

One consideration I had was to do a Philosophy MA and then a Comp Lit PhD at a theory heavy University, but I was told that some Universities look down upon this kind of thing, especially when the MA isn't fully funded. Thoughts?

I guess I can only curse Foucault for being so hard to categorize, but I hope some of you with a sense of climate in graduate programs can offer your advice.

Edited by nilfunks

Here is some possibly bad advice from someone who was once in a boat a little like yours and has just gotten accepted to a couple of very cool interdisciplinary programs where you can do stuff a bit like what you are saying.  But the road between A and B is not necessarily easy.

The first thing is: don't try to reinvent the wheel (this is a bit what your post sounds like).  Everyone already knows about Foucault, you can use him to think about institutions, the formation of subjects, blah blah blah.  Do not think of yourself as a "Fouauldian" or an exegete or else you will not get where you are trying to go.  Take a step back and ask, "Why I am interested in MF in the first place? What questions lead me to want to think about MF?"  Basically you need to decenter Foucault from your idea of what your intellectual project is if you want to do something other than disciplinary work (if you want to go into English lit, for example, it might be fine to be that into Foucault - but then you are just an epigone)

My suggestion is to plan to spend some time away from the academy for a couple years supporting yourself in other ways and reading as many books as possible.  You still have an enormous amount to learn and all it takes is time (you don't need a professor to tell you, just go read all the stuff you know you haven't read).  You may find that during this time, and in the bubble-bursting experience of no longer being in a formal educational environment, your idea of what you are interested in will change and become more refined.

I spent two years outside the academy, and I'm now finishing up an MA in English which I found deeply unsatisfying but which helped me understand what it is that I DO want to do.  It's only now, four years after my BA, that I'm really even qualified to begin doing the kind of interdisciplinary work that you seem to want to do.  And it's now finally paying off, but only after a period of four years which was not especially emotionally easy.

I would take some time off, find yourself a bit and read for several hours every day, apply to a disciplinary PhD program in English or Philosophy (make sure you get funding), and then bail with the MA and apply to an interdisciplinary program.  Some good candidates might be UC Santa Cruz History of Consciousness, U Minnesota Discourse and Society, , Berkeley Rhetoric.  You could also apply to these programs right out of BA but probably much harder to get into.

basically, don't be in a hurry.  you can't do what you are saying you want to do if you are in a hurry.

good luck

All good feedback so far. My only contribution is this: what do you want to teach? Do you want to teach writing, literature, foreign language, or philosophy? What you want to study is important to know, but you should also want to teach whatever subject you get your degree in.

If you go comp lit you will need to learn at least one other language and there will be a strong Lit component even at the most theory heavy programs. If you go for philosophy, unless you find a strong continental MA program, which is difficult, you may have to do analytic phil which usually does not even acknowledge Foucault or derrIda or even Sartre.

also know that the interdisciplinary PhD programs are super competitive, sometimes admitting 3 of 150 applicants, so you may want to find other disciplinary depts and focus on those. Also philosophy PhD programs are often super duper competitive As well.

If I were you I'd figure out what area of literature I could specialize in that gels with theoretical interests (20th c French or modernism or 19thc American or whatever) and search for and apply to a mix of MAs and PhDs in comp lit, english, and Phil. make sure you do lots of researcH on programs, and tailor your sop for each one.

Programs: comp lit at suny buffalo MA.

Phil at Loyola marymount MA. Phil at Louisiana state U MA. Phil at cal sTate LA or calstate Long beach. literary and cultural studies at Carnegie Mellon. And there are probably a few English MAs too thatch dont know about.

Check your local state schools and privates for MA programs. And remember you need some disciplinary basis to jump off from.

Edited by Appppplication

Nilfunks depending on what you want to do you could also apply to a few Anthropology departments that are theory heavy.  

Off the top of my head Chicago, Columbia, Rice, Berkeley, WUSTL? A lot of it depends on how your willing to spin your project.  My project does not need to be theory heavy but that's what I'm into so it is. 

Edited by smg

Here is some possibly bad advice . . .

I just want to say that this was actually incredibly GOOD advice, and exactly what I needed to read while searching grad cafe with a panic attack about My Future. I don't know about nilfunks, but what you said totally hit me in the right way. I graduated last year and thought I would apply to start in 2015, but decided to postpone to 2016 at the last minute. I'm working a job I hate right now and regretting not applying, but honestly . . . I'm convinced I'm going to get into a better program now, and not just because I've got more time to prepare my application. I've already gotten to know myself better outside the bizarre un-reality of academia, and I cannot tell you how valuable the freedom to experiment, read, think, and be patient has been for determining what I want to study. But you're right, it's also a painful process, because I constantly feel like I'm "losing time," even as I recognize all the important growth that's happening during this period.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for reminding me why I'm doing this. I hope others read this and realize that waiting, while not ALWAYS the right choice, and certainly not the most attractive, can do wonders for your perspective.

I share a lot of your interests, and here are some of good programs (mostly geared towards literature and media) that I know of:

Berkeley Rhetoric

Emory CompLit

Penn State Philosophy

Duke Literature

Buffalo Complit

Stony Brook Philosophy & Cultural Analysis and Theory

USC CompLit

Irvine CompLit & Visual Studies

Minnesota CSDS

Cornell CompLit & Romance

Villanova Philosophy

Northwestern Comparative Literary Studies

Brown MCM

NYU Complit

Santa Cruz History of Consciousness

It's worth keeping in mind that UCSC his con is an unfunded program, with limited TAships available. It's amazing, for sure, but I get the feeling that many people (like myself) apply to UCSC for, say, Lit in order to do work in his con as a concentration. 

It's worth keeping in mind that UCSC his con is an unfunded program, with limited TAships available. It's amazing, for sure, but I get the feeling that many people (like myself) apply to UCSC for, say, Lit in order to do work in his con as a concentration. 

not true, you can get funding for that program

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say thanks for the great advice. I'm sorry I just didn't log in for a while, though all of the advice has helped me think about what I'm doing. sxdat, I really appreciate the lengthy response w/ probably the best advice I got from anyone (including my undergrad professors). I did wait one year, and I have decided to go ahead with apps for MA and PhD Philosophy, Interdisciplinary, and some English programs. I definitely feel like the year has helped me to straighten out exactly what I think I am doing, and while I, I'm figuring that I may as well. I didn't realize how competetive those interdisc programs are as well as philosophy, and I'm really hedging my bets there esp., but I think I'll be content to be rejected and spend another year reading, reasing my scores, and perfecting (or writing new) writing samples. I am a pretty young graduate, so I'm in no hurry, though I do hate my job and would really appreciate being surrounded by a campus and intelligent people again.

On 3/3/2015, 6:32:25, Pizza Fox said:

I just want to say that this was actually incredibly GOOD advice, and exactly what I needed to read while searching grad cafe with a panic attack about My Future. I don't know about nilfunks, but what you said totally hit me in the right way.

On 3/3/2015, 6:32:25, Pizza Fox said:

• 1 month later...

Berkeley Rhetoric shouldn't be a "good candidate" on anyone's list! As a current PhD student, I want to wish you luck with all other applications, for Berkeley Rhetoric should be your last choice. It is, in the words of a colleague this morning, "a sinking ship."

Not a single student from last year's admitted cohort accepted the offer, because they realized how disconnected the faculty is, how pettily political, how unsupportive. The reason students take an average of 9 years to graduate isn't that they love the program, it's because they're stymied at every step: exams rescheduled at the last minute (or just not sent to them on the appointed day), 6th and 7th drafts of a prospectus rejected, professors refusing to advise students or then backing out...  You can imagine why so many students leave: change departments, move schools, or simply disappear.

Courses are a joke, professors don't come to events or their own office hours, new hires are the faculty's friends rather than applicants with whom students would want to work, the administration is ridiculous, and they renege on funding offers. 
Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I think UC Irvine comp. lit would be a great fit for you. They re very heavily focused on theory. However, I think you mentioned nothing about other languages and teaching. I am a comp. lit person and I studied 5 languages and mastered in 3. For my phd I will have to master another one, probably French. Unless you are willing to do all that extra work in language studies, comp lit is not your place. And you have to ask yourself if you would enjoy teaching. That is your future job and you have to teach to gain a fellowship or Tesching Assistantship.