MPH CANADA FALL 2015 APPLICANTS

mphcan2015

@out.to.sea no not yet, I didn't think that was necessary until you start planning your courses. Is that what your meeting is for?

@Stasia yes it did! I got annoyed waiting on Monday so I emailed them asking when I could expect my official letter and I got a response ASAP but they were very confused at first. They said all letters went out on the 15th of May and to check my hotmail and SOPHAS account (which tells you nothing????) but I found mine in my ualberta account and it was only sent on Friday the 29th. I'd email SPH - the delays are nuts!

Hey!

So I, like you both most likely, received an email two weeks ago asking me to set up Bear Tracks and saying all correspondence would continue through my U of A email. At the bottom of one of those emails, I read about being able to talk to someone about my courses. So I email Shona and we're meeting next week on Skype. I'm also sending my transcripts in next week also. Transcript requests are so annoying for me because I've been to three separate universities already...

Yeah, I received my official letter on the 28th, but it's just a formality so I wasn't too worried. In several of their previous emails they mentioned how my admission was guaranteed, so I wasn't sweating it. 

I have my immigration papers now, so honestly, things are looking pretty good. I just need to find housing. I'm coming up two weeks early though and couchsurfing, so I'll finalize housing then. But of course I'll look early. 

Any UofT Social and Behavioural Sciences updates? I'm still stuck as "under review" and no one is answering my emails. 

I got accepted 2 hours ago :)

I got accepted 2 hours ago :)

Congrats! Would mind sharing your stats it would really help give an idea of what they are looking for in a prospective student. Thanks :)

I have been waitlisted for the MPH program at both Waterloo and Queens. Does anyone know when the deadline to accept or reject offers are for either schools? 

I just want to say how so far with my experience of applying to a Canadian university, emailing and calling for assistance, and then getting accepted, I have come to the conclusion that the staff of U of A are so nice. 

I received an email earlier saying that the U of A is going to give my $50 CAD to cover the costs of sending my transcripts to Canada (I'm from the US). I mean, that is very thoughtful of U of A. Perhaps this happens in the US too, but I don't think so. 

I'm excited for my experience and for all of the nice people I'm going to meet! =)

Funny story, while I was an English teacher in the Republic of Georgia there was a group of Canadian teachers going around giving foreigners 'Canadian Spirit Names'. Some of the names included Beaver Tail, Bear Tongue, and Moose Knuckle, which was mine. Sheltered me didn't know what that was, but I later googled and discovered that this particular Canadian was just pulling my leg. 

So I won't fall for that again.. =)

Edited by out.to.sea

For those going to UofA, did you enroll in SPH 101 yet?

I can't seem to find the class when I search for it on beartracks.

We have automatically been enrolled in it already so you don't need to search for it on Beartracks. Go to eClass, and you will see it listed: https://eclass.srv.ualberta.ca/portal/

I have been waitlisted for the MPH program at both Waterloo and Queens. Does anyone know when the deadline to accept or reject offers are for either schools? 

Hey, the deadline for me is June 15th.

Hi Everyone!

First time poster but long time follower!

I actually applied for Fall 2014 admission to UWO (MPH), U of A (MPH-Global Health), SFU (MPH-Global Health) and UBC (MPH/MSN).

I was accepted into UWO (around the middle of March) and then ended up declining my offer towards the end of April (they gave you about a month to decide and make the $1000 deposit).

U of A lost 2 out of my 3 reference letters, not only once but twice and then deemed my application ineligible! Trying to get answers from the U of A (as to why this happened, as it was their mistake/fault and completely out of my hands) was a nightmare and a half! Talked with over 20 people over a course of two and a half weeks and eventually ended up speaking with the assistant dean in the faculty of Public Health as was basically told: oops, well we will keep your money (because you pay the university and not the faculty, even through it was the faculty that screwed up!) and your application and you can pay and reapply next year using the documents from this year that we have already received or new ones. Um, let me think about that...NO THANKS! What does that say about the school and your program? As looking back at previous years of this blog, this has happened before and is not an isolated incident.

Was waitlisted at SFU, but unfortunately I never made it off the waitlist. SFU also refused to let me know how many people were on the the waitlist too.

Was accepted into the MSN program at UBC and then a week later was accepted into the MPH program, so I could pursue the dual MPH/MSN degree. I was the only student actually admitted to the dual program to start in Fall 2014 (the inaugural year of the program). But I deferred my admission for one year, so I could pursue a job opportunity that would further advance my nursing career.

So I will be attending UBC for the MPH/MSN program this coming fall! I would love to connect with anyone else headed to UBC in the months leading up to September.

As for everyone else, don't give up hope and keep your fingers crossed as I heard as early as mid-March and as late as July! Good luck to all those still waiting to hear back!

@ringettegoalie, congrats on your acceptance! You've been accepted to my first-choice program!

I've applied to UBCs MSN program during their second application intake (May 2015).  Do you mind sharing how long it took for the School of Nursing (UBC) to make a decision, i.e. # of weeks from the time you submitted your application to the time they recommended you for admission?

Also, just curious, do you have a lot of clinical nursing, research, and/or public health experience? 

Thanks so much! I'm waiting impatiently but keeping my fingers crossed! :)

Yes!!! Does anyone have an idea of when we can expect to hear from them?

I got into just over a week ago but the deadline for me is June 25th. It still says under review online for me though

I got into just over a week ago but the deadline for me is June 25th. It still says under review online for me though

Congrats on getting in!

Are most people still on the waitlist? This seems like a large waitlist.... 

Hey I got an offer from Queens and will most likely be attending. Has anyone opened up a Facebook group for this year's class by any chance?