MPH CANADA FALL 2015 APPLICANTS

mphcan2015

Has anyone heard from UofA Epi? Last I heard, they would be sending out notices by the end of April...

I heard from them near the beginning of this month, I declined their offer last week so the next round of acceptances should be coming out.

I think most people who applied to U of T epi should still be receiving a letter in the mail. The letter of offer I received over email was dated for April 27th and appeared to be a printed letter that had been scanned - I'm guessing I got this because my school address recently expired (I moved back home for the summer). If you haven't heard back yet you should expect news any day now!

If you don't get in I would be happy to share my stats :)

Haha yeah, I kind of prematurely panicked yesterday, I got my offer of admission today and could not be any happier. Looking forward to meeting everyone this coming fall:)

Hey charliemarlie,

I JUST did the same! I went to visit the school last summer and the campus is beautiful. I don't know much about the program itself but I haven't heard any negative comments about it either. Looks like we will be classmates in the fall!

Congratulations J242!! Looking forward to September! If you don't mind me asking: did the program offer you any Grad teaching assistant or Research assistant position? I was really hoping to get one but it didn't happen.

Hey guys! I also go to Guelph and just graduated, and now I am working here for the summer.. I have had an absolutely amazing experience here through my undergrad and would recommend it to anyone :) I was thinking about accepting the MPH offer for Guelph too.. but I figure it is time to go explore somewhere else. Please PM me if you have any questions!

Hey Ekunkel! Thanks for these words of encouragement. I always find Guelph students/grads so happy-go-lucky. Im looking forward to a good experience!

Congratulations J242!! Looking forward to September! If you don't mind me asking: did the program offer you any Grad teaching assistant or Research assistant position? I was really hoping to get one but it didn't happen.

Not to my knowledge yet, how were they suppose to contact us about it? I was really hoping the same!

I keep receiving e-mails about a data entry job to my Guelph e-mail but I haven't replied, it seems a little strange and non-formal. 

Not to my knowledge yet, how were they suppose to contact us about it? I was really hoping the same!

I keep receiving e-mails about a data entry job to my Guelph e-mail but I haven't replied, it seems a little strange and non-formal.

GTA or GRA, if offered, is mentioned in the guaranteed funding form attached with offer of admission document (pdf).

Hey guys,

I am having trouble deciding between UofT (MPH) and Western (M.Sc.) both for epidemiology. Western is a thesis based and UofTis course based program. Western is offering funding and UofT does not. Any opinions?

I'm happy to answer any questions about UofT or Guelph.  I did my undergraduate degree at Guelph and absolutely love the university and the city.  I hope to go back to Guelph to do a PhD!  I only chose UofT for my MPH as Guelph doesn't offer an MPH that also includes the dietetic internship, which is a requirement to become a Registered Dietitian.

Hey guys,

I am having trouble deciding between UofT (MPH) and Western (M.Sc.) both for epidemiology. Western is a thesis based and UofTis course based program. Western is offering funding and UofT does not. Any opinions?

I applied to both programs and got into both. I did my undergrad at UofT and I love this school because of all the opportunities and because I live in the GTA. However I am set on moving to London because  I was able to get an awesome supervisor at Western and an OGS scholarship. On top of that I am basically guaranteed to get a couple first author publications and several co-author papers as well. My plan is to go to Med school so I think this will help me more than an MPH degree. I learned from a couple older friends that their practicum didn't lead toward any peer reviewed publication it was basically just work experience. Obviously the reasons you choose either school will be dependent on your long-term goals, but for me I rather get the basic knowledge down in 9 half courses or so and then spend the rest of my time actually doing epidemiological studies.

I applied to both programs and got into both. I did my undergrad at UofT and I love this school because of all the opportunities and because I live in the GTA. However I am set on moving to London because  I was able to get an awesome supervisor at Western and an OGS scholarship. On top of that I am basically guaranteed to get a couple first author publications and several co-author papers as well. My plan is to go to Med school so I think this will help me more than an MPH degree. I learned from a couple older friends that their practicum didn't lead toward any peer reviewed publication it was basically just work experience. Obviously the reasons you choose either school will be dependent on your long-term goals, but for me I rather get the basic knowledge down in 9 half courses or so and then spend the rest of my time actually doing epidemiological studies.

Thanks for your opinion. Although my plan is to not follow into med school after, I was highly considering Western because of the opportunity to do epidemiological studies in the form of my thesis. Although I was torn because UofT is a great school and it has a lot of affiliations. At this point I was not sure of my long-term goals, whether its work or pursue more studies, so I was not sure if a thesis would help. Do you know what might be some differences between MSc and MPH for epidemiology.

Jut spoke to someone from the McMaster MHP office, and they said that they are in the process of finalizing their class and it should be completed by next week!  :)

That being said fellow MHP grads, if you have happily accepted your offer to another school you should withdraw your offers from schools you're waiting to hear from.

Jut spoke to someone from the McMaster MHP office, and they said that they are in the process of finalizing their class and it should be completed by next week!  :)

That being said fellow MHP grads, if you have happily accepted your offer to another school you should withdraw your offers from schools you're waiting to hear from.

so it's safe to say that anyone who didn't hear from them, they are probably rejected  :lol:

oh well, i will apply for the next year and see how it will goes

Congrats for the ones who got accepted and for those who didn't, please don't give up  

Edited by mph201516

Thanks for your opinion. Although my plan is to not follow into med school after, I was highly considering Western because of the opportunity to do epidemiological studies in the form of my thesis. Although I was torn because UofT is a great school and it has a lot of affiliations. At this point I was not sure of my long-term goals, whether its work or pursue more studies, so I was not sure if a thesis would help. Do you know what might be some differences between MSc and MPH for epidemiology.

I don't have much experience since I haven't actually started the degree. People who have already began or completed their degree will probably be more helpful. But I think just go with what your gut is telling you. Consider the school, the location, opportunities after completetion of your masters program and just try to picture which program you see yourself in. I visualized some classes and a good portion of research so I chose a Western. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Goodluck in your decision!

Does anyone heared from SPH UofA regarding results for any of MS programs? They wrote me that all results will be by the end of April but I still got nothing

I haven't heard back either...at this point I think I'm going to accept one of the offers from the American schools and give up on Canada lol best of luck to you!

Does anyone heared from SPH UofA regarding results for any of MS programs? They wrote me that all results will be by the end of April but I still got nothing

I haven't heard back either...at this point I think I'm going to accept one of the offers from the American schools and give up on Canada lol best of luck to you!

I heard back about two weeks ago from the director of the stream I applied to!

Hello,

First post here. Is anyone still waiting to hear from U of T MPH - health promotion? On the web it's noted everyone will have an answer by June 30th. I know some of u already received offers for Ep not sure if anyone heard for Health Promotion.

Thanks

@ssjj I'm still waiting to hear back from health promotion. I don't know anyone that has heard back either...I thought we would know by early May 

I have not heard back from U of A's SPH program either. In April and was told admission decision would be sent out April 30 - still no word. Since this was the first time SPH used SOPHAS, I know there was a bit of a delay (SPH waited until all transcripts were verified for applicants who made the January 31 deadline). Perhaps this has sometime to do with it? That said, others have posted acceptance/rejection updates on the grad cafe's admission results page (MPH programs, not MSc).  

Hello,

First post here. Is anyone still waiting to hear from U of T MPH - health promotion? On the web it's noted everyone will have an answer by June 30th. I know some of u already received offers for Ep not sure if anyone heard for Health Promotion.

Thanks

@ssjj I'm still waiting to hear back from health promotion. I don't know anyone that has heard back either...I thought we would know by early May 

I got an offer of admission from U of T Health Promotion by email on April 24th!! I declined my offer though because I've decided to accept at another school. Hopefully you will both hear back soon with good news!  :)

I got an offer of admission from U of T Health Promotion by email on April 24th!! I declined my offer though because I've decided to accept at another school. Hopefully you will both hear back soon with good news!  :)

Would you be able to share your stats/GPA? I am waiting for UofT to get back to me as I know decisions are being sent out. Thank you and Good luck at U of A! 

Hey guys!

Kind of off topic, but I will be moving to Toronto for the first time in the fall and was wondering if anyone had any advice for house hunting. Ideally I'd like to find a reasonably priced place to share downtown with other U of T students. I won't know any other students before I move, so if anyone else is in the same situation and interested in rooming together, shoot me a message! :)

So I've officially been waitlisted for Mac as of Tuesday! Really disappointed. 

Do you guys think that it would be ok to ask if it's a ranked waitlist or how far down I am on it? Or should I just wait it out?

hahahaha the first time I read this I saw it as "best of f*ck to you!" 

So I've officially been waitlisted for Mac as of Tuesday! Really disappointed. 

Do you guys think that it would be ok to ask if it's a ranked waitlist or how far down I am on it? Or should I just wait it out?

i have been waitlisted as well, i was sure that i will be rejected so i'm happy to know that at lease i'm waitlisted  

don't be upset! look at the positive side, they consider you as a qualified candidate 

don't ever give up, you don't know what will happen 

i sent a polite email with some questions, they basically responded with an advice to wait patiently 

they will contact you if they need any further information from you, so the only option we have is to wait and see

Edited by mph201516