MPH CANADA FALL 2015 APPLICANTS

mphcan2015

@pineapple15 and @out.to.sea

That's awesome!! I look forward to meeting you guys in the fall :)

Unfortunately I don't know too much about housing on or around campus because I'm from Edmonton originally and live at home. However, from what I've heard from my friends who live on campus, most graduate students or students in professional programs rent rooms/basements in the University area. So I would definitely consider looking on Kijiji for anyone that is renting places in the University, Belgravia or Mckernan areas. They are close by to the LRT (train) station and only one stop away from ECHA and the other Health Sciences buildings. There's also lots of apartments around campus that prefer graduate students so I would consider looking at places like Newton Place or College Plaza, however I don't know how much they go in terms of cost. Sorry guys, I wish I could be of more help in terms of housing! But if you guys have more questions about Edmonton/campus feel free to PM me :)

Hi there!

Thanks for the info! Every bit is helpful! Excited to meet you and the rest of our classmates in the fall! :)

Hi there!

Thanks for the info! Every bit is helpful! Excited to meet you and the rest of our classmates in the fall! :)

@pineapple15 and @out.to.sea

That's awesome!! I look forward to meeting you guys in the fall :)

Unfortunately I don't know too much about housing on or around campus because I'm from Edmonton originally and live at home. However, from what I've heard from my friends who live on campus, most graduate students or students in professional programs rent rooms/basements in the University area. So I would definitely consider looking on Kijiji for anyone that is renting places in the University, Belgravia or Mckernan areas. They are close by to the LRT (train) station and only one stop away from ECHA and the other Health Sciences buildings. There's also lots of apartments around campus that prefer graduate students so I would consider looking at places like Newton Place or College Plaza, however I don't know how much they go in terms of cost. Sorry guys, I wish I could be of more help in terms of housing! But if you guys have more questions about Edmonton/campus feel free to PM me :)

Thanks for the help! I'm going to email someone and tell them I'm a foreigner and I have no idea what to do. I'm sure I'll find someone to guide me. I'll also need some helping finding warm clothes, because it doesn't even snow much where I'm from. =) 

Thanks again! 

Woah! Glad I stumbled on this. I applied to UWO and got my acceptance by phone today!! Details to come by email in the next few days. I haven't heard back from McMaster yet and I was rejected from Waterloo. I was scrolling through pages and pages of this thread and noticed very little mention of UWO. Is the program not as strong as the others out there? Should I be worried?

Hi Everyone!

First time poster but long time follower!

I actually applied for Fall 2014 admission to UWO (MPH), U of A (MPH-Global Health), SFU (MPH-Global Health) and UBC (MPH/MSN).

I was accepted into UWO (around the middle of March) and then ended up declining my offer towards the end of April (they gave you about a month to decide and make the $1000 deposit).

U of A lost 2 out of my 3 reference letters, not only once but twice and then deemed my application ineligible! Trying to get answers from the U of A (as to why this happened, as it was their mistake/fault and completely out of my hands) was a nightmare and a half! Talked with over 20 people over a course of two and a half weeks and eventually ended up speaking with the assistant dean in the faculty of Public Health as was basically told: oops, well we will keep your money (because you pay the university and not the faculty, even through it was the faculty that screwed up!) and your application and you can pay and reapply next year using the documents from this year that we have already received or new ones. Um, let me think about that...NO THANKS! What does that say about the school and your program? As looking back at previous years of this blog, this has happened before and is not an isolated incident.

Was waitlisted at SFU, but unfortunately I never made it off the waitlist. SFU also refused to let me know how many people were on the the waitlist too.

Was accepted into the MSN program at UBC and then a week later was accepted into the MPH program, so I could pursue the dual MPH/MSN degree. I was the only student actually admitted to the dual program to start in Fall 2014 (the inaugural year of the program). But I deferred my admission for one year, so I could pursue a job opportunity that would further advance my nursing career.

So I will be attending UBC for the MPH/MSN program this coming fall! I would love to connect with anyone else headed to UBC in the months leading up to September.

As for everyone else, don't give up hope and keep your fingers crossed as I heard as early as mid-March and as late as July! Good luck to all those still waiting to hear back!

Hey! Just wondering what made you change your mind about UWO? I just got an offer from there today and I'm worried about the program prestige. It seems not a lot of people opt to go there.

For anyone who's accepted Guelph's offer, do you have to do anything else? I've been scanning the webpage but there's nothing asking me to make a payment or send in my transcripts. I graduated from Mac so when I applied I didn't need to send my transcripts, I don't know if that's relevant.

Thanks for anyone's help!

I'm a first time poster, but long time reader of this forum!

Does anyone who has applied/been accepted to Lakehead U intend to live in Thunder Bay?

i am accepted to lakehead but will take the program from toronto.But we can certainly collaborate in the program. where are you based out of and will you be moving to thunerbay.

Woah! Glad I stumbled on this. I applied to UWO and got my acceptance by phone today!! Details to come by email in the next few days. I haven't heard back from McMaster yet and I was rejected from Waterloo. I was scrolling through pages and pages of this thread and noticed very little mention of UWO. Is the program not as strong as the others out there? Should I be worried?

Hi Kayden28, first congrats on your acceptance! My reasoning for not applying to Western (along with my classmates) was the expensive tuition fee. It is about $30,000. This is just too much I feel for MPH whereas other programs range from 8-10,000. It is a fine program through, maybe get in contact with any alumni if possible 

For anyone who's accepted Guelph's offer, do you have to do anything else? I've been scanning the webpage but there's nothing asking me to make a payment or send in my transcripts. I graduated from Mac so when I applied I didn't need to send my transcripts, I don't know if that's relevant.

Thanks for anyone's help!

Hi SisiG, 

I received my official offer yesterday and it is asking me to send in all my official transcripts. Maybe because you went to Mac you do not have to do this! I haven't accepted the offer yet so I am not sure about payment. 

Hi everyone!

I applied to U of T (epi), UBC, Guelph, U of S and U of A (epi) and have heard back from all schools except U of T. For anyone else waiting on U of T, I called the admissions office today and I was told acceptances will start coming out end of April (not middle of April like stated on the website).

Hey! Just wondering what made you change your mind about UWO? I just got an offer from there today and I'm worried about the program prestige. It seems not a lot of people opt to go there.

Hi kayden28!

So before I had applied to any schools I did quite a bit of research into MPH programs both in Canada and the USA. I read websites and school websites and tried to get in contact with people who had a previous MPH, etc (for almost a year). Then in the fall before all the applications opened, I actually went and visited all the schools that I thought I was interested in.

When I visited Western, I took a campus tour, a residence tour, talked with the grad studies office, talked with Diana Lee (Program Director), had a mini application interview with Diana and another person who ran the program (I am blanking on her name right now), got to sit in on one of the MPH classes and participate in the class with the students and then talk with a few students after the class.

I thought Western University went above and beyond any other school welcoming me when I came for a visit. They allowed me to actually see what the program was like and ask questions to the directors and current students. They also gave me free parking for 2 days on campus during my visit.

The reason I ended up declining my acceptance to Western was a combination of a lot of things. The tuition price was steep! $30,000 for tuition, $10,000 for their practicum and field trip to NY/Washington over reading break, plus ~$10,000-$15,000 to live there (I would have lived off campus as I thought the housing options were lacking for grad. students on campus), plus the cost to get there and back home (as I live in Alberta). So I was looking at ~$60,000-65,000 for one year! They also had no funding at all as it is a case based program, which is a tough pill to swallow. Also, when I talked with the directors I found out how intense the program is since it is only 1 year. Most of the students who were enrolled that had jobs were quitting their jobs because they had no free time. I remember them telling me a typical day was going to class from 8-12, then lunch till 1pm then group work from 1-4 or 5pm, then readings and whatever else you needed to get done, then repeat. They said there was lots of readings (9 articles/papers to read each night) and lots of papers including 24, 48 or 72hr papers. Which is fine, I totally understand it is a masters program that is only one year, but I felt that it just wasn't for me. I would rather take a bit more time and enjoy the experience compared to my undergrad degree where I worked 3 jobs, went to school and played ringette. I also decided against the program as I was more interested in global health, and women's health than just a general MPH stream degree and I really wanted to do an international practicum and Western at the time wasn't sure where their practicums would be. Turns out I think 4 people in the program did their practicum outside Canada or the USA.

So in the end with all of those things in mind, I felt that the program was strong, but just not for me. I wanted to stay a bit closer to home and I preferred a global health MPH program or a program where I could do both nursing and public health, as being a registered nurse, I just felt I couldn't give up that part of my life completely. I also wanted a program over a longer period of time, where if I needed to work, I would be able to do so and still go to school.

Everyone has to really think about what they want to get out of the program and where they want to go afterwards, whether that is into a new job/career or back to the same job/field you were in before. Don't get me wrong it was a tough decision and it was hard to say no.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!

Hi everyone!

I applied to U of T (epi), UBC, Guelph, U of S and U of A (epi) and have heard back from all schools except U of T. For anyone else waiting on U of T, I called the admissions office today and I was told acceptances will start coming out end of April (not middle of April like stated on the website).

Thanks so much for the update!

Hi,

has anybody heard back from university of dalhousie's MSc in community health and epidemiology?

long wait and lots of disappointments :mellow: . would appreciate a feedback

Hi everyone!

Thank you for the update! :) Did they mention whether or not we would receive an email notification prior to the official letter in the mail? When I asked previously I was told that some MPH streams do this, but the grad office was not sure if epi was one of them.

Hi kayden28!

So before I had applied to any schools I did quite a bit of research into MPH programs both in Canada and the USA. I read websites and school websites and tried to get in contact with people who had a previous MPH, etc (for almost a year). Then in the fall before all the applications opened, I actually went and visited all the schools that I thought I was interested in.

When I visited Western, I took a campus tour, a residence tour, talked with the grad studies office, talked with Diana Lee (Program Director), had a mini application interview with Diana and another person who ran the program (I am blanking on her name right now), got to sit in on one of the MPH classes and participate in the class with the students and then talk with a few students after the class.

I thought Western University went above and beyond any other school welcoming me when I came for a visit. They allowed me to actually see what the program was like and ask questions to the directors and current students. They also gave me free parking for 2 days on campus during my visit.

The reason I ended up declining my acceptance to Western was a combination of a lot of things. The tuition price was steep! $30,000 for tuition, $10,000 for their practicum and field trip to NY/Washington over reading break, plus ~$10,000-$15,000 to live there (I would have lived off campus as I thought the housing options were lacking for grad. students on campus), plus the cost to get there and back home (as I live in Alberta). So I was looking at ~$60,000-65,000 for one year! They also had no funding at all as it is a case based program, which is a tough pill to swallow. Also, when I talked with the directors I found out how intense the program is since it is only 1 year. Most of the students who were enrolled that had jobs were quitting their jobs because they had no free time. I remember them telling me a typical day was going to class from 8-12, then lunch till 1pm then group work from 1-4 or 5pm, then readings and whatever else you needed to get done, then repeat. They said there was lots of readings (9 articles/papers to read each night) and lots of papers including 24, 48 or 72hr papers. Which is fine, I totally understand it is a masters program that is only one year, but I felt that it just wasn't for me. I would rather take a bit more time and enjoy the experience compared to my undergrad degree where I worked 3 jobs, went to school and played ringette. I also decided against the program as I was more interested in global health, and women's health than just a general MPH stream degree and I really wanted to do an international practicum and Western at the time wasn't sure where their practicums would be. Turns out I think 4 people in the program did their practicum outside Canada or the USA.

So in the end with all of those things in mind, I felt that the program was strong, but just not for me. I wanted to stay a bit closer to home and I preferred a global health MPH program or a program where I could do both nursing and public health, as being a registered nurse, I just felt I couldn't give up that part of my life completely. I also wanted a program over a longer period of time, where if I needed to work, I would be able to do so and still go to school.

Everyone has to really think about what they want to get out of the program and where they want to go afterwards, whether that is into a new job/career or back to the same job/field you were in before. Don't get me wrong it was a tough decision and it was hard to say no.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!

Hey Ringettegoalie,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply! It was really insightful and will help when it comes time to make a decision. All the best!! :)

Thank you for the update! :) Did they mention whether or not we would receive an email notification prior to the official letter in the mail? When I asked previously I was told that some MPH streams do this, but the grad office was not sure if epi was one of them.

I didn't think of asking about that, so I don't know, sorry! Did you apply to U of T epi as well?