MPH CANADA FALL 2015 APPLICANTS

mphcan2015

@envy22 Thanks!! Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you are picking Toronto's program over UBC's? I haven't heard much comparison between the two but would like to know if there were some major differences!

@envy22 Thanks!! Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you are picking Toronto's program over UBC's? I haven't heard much comparison between the two but would like to know if there were some major differences!

Personally I feel like both programs are equally as good. My first option was definitely UofT just because I am from Toronto so I know I would be better off here for a number of reasons. If I was not from Toronto, then it would be a really hard decision. The thing with both programs is that they are very specialized and in my opinion I don't think whether you come out with an MPH or an MSc matters. It is more about the knowledge you gain from the program and how well you can apply it in a real life setting. Both programs I feel provide very specialized courses and prepare you really well for the field of occupational hygiene. One thing I would suggest for you is maybe think about what your goals are with the degree and compare the courses in both programs to see what interests you more. Also, this is a good question you can ask at your interview seeing as it is next week to get the thoughts of the interviewers. Obviously you would need to phrase it correctly lol but hope this helps :)

Hello Kobr, 

I applied to population health and received acceptance,  however in the email which I received last week said my official letter would come in the mail in 4 weeks with deadline information. So that leaves a large window of time for people to accept other offers and reject so be mindful that you might wait about 4 weeks for second round of acceptances. 

Best of luck!

Thanks MPH1103, I really appreciated your answer.

I will wait as long as I get in the program :-)

looks like Lakehead is sending out another round of acceptances, got my email this morning! Congrats to all those who got acceptances, and to the other keep checking your emails your day is coming!

I have just received my offer of admission to Waterloo! For those who are waiting, check your status on Quest, I believe the acceptances came out this morning. Congrats to those who have received acceptances so far and all the best to those still waiting!  :)

For all those waiting to hear about Waterloo, they typically call to tell you of your acceptance and then eventually update quest. I got my phone call early last week and quest just changed to accepted today.

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum...I've applied to MPH at uoft for health promotion, MPH at western ontario, and Global health at McMaster U. I'm so nervous :( I haven't seen anyone mention western really...does anyone know when we will hear back from them?  

Incase anyone else is waiting on Toronto's OEH program, I just got a call for an interview next week!

Congrats to you! envy22 and I both accepted the offer to U of T's MPH - OEH so I hope you'll be joining us this fall :) feel free to PM me if you have questions about the interview. 

So I'm going through with price estimates and I was wondering if any Canadians could give me an idea of how much do you think I would spend per month as a graduate student in Edmonton? 

I did the price calculator on U of A's website, but they gave me $1,200 for a single apartment, but I'd hope to find something much cheaper. 

Do you think I could keep my monthly expenses to about $1,500 a month or would that be extremely tricky? I am a very cheap person. I don't even own a smart phone (I have the cheapest month-to-month service I could find), I don't go out often, and I generally buy my clothes second hand. Basically, I can be super cheap and I think the most money I would spend would be on food (I'm gluten and dairy free). 

Thanks so much! 

there are some apartment towers next to the university that have rent prices in the $500-800. they're nothing fancy, but have everything you need and are very close (112st and anywhere between 87 and 83 avenue)

Does anyone know when we will hear back from Alberta besides "by the end of April"?? I thought it may be last week or this week from this webpage I found (https://drive.google.com/a/ualberta.ca/file/d/0B-BNQ4SVkDcWVWZ2dHlxNDdBM3c/edit?pli=1) on last years process.

Also does anyone know how it works if you applied to two programs for Alberta on SOPHAS?? Could you get accepted to both or just one? I'm starting to wish I made my second pick my first choice instead!

i interviewed last wednesday and they said they would inform us of their decision "in the next couple of weeks". From that I expect early April. I'm not sure how programs without interviews plan on scheduling it, but I would assume they would release invites/regrets at the same time for all programs for those of us that applied to 2 programs.

As for being accepted into two programs, it happened to a friend of mine last year. She was accepted to both of her choices and just picked the one she liked better. Easy peasy.

dmonsta, the person who interview you said 'in the next couple of weeks'? Wow, my person told me this week. I'm hoping to hear today, but maybe that's wishful thinking. Man, I need to get away from the internet and distract myself. 

You applied to U of A and which other universities? Thanks for the apartment info btw, it helps tremendously. Any idea about all other expenses? I'll have to pay for health care, but other than that, do you think $1,500 monthly would be enough? 

sh722709, I think I'm going to check my emails only once a day at six pm from now until I hear from universities. I'm becoming a little paranoid about checking. 

Hi everyone,

I heard back from U of A today letting me know they would like to recommend me for admission to the MPH Global Health program! I'm surprised to hear back so soon since I interviewed on Thursday and they told me they'd get back to me in a couple of weeks.

The e-mail says: "In order to guarantee your place in the MPH – Global Health program, you must inform us by April 14, 2015, whether or not you intend to accept this offer. After this date, open seats will be offered to applicants on our waiting list. Our recommendation for admission will go to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) where a final decision will be made. This recommendation will go to FGSR only if you confirm your acceptance of our offer."

Just wanted to let everyone know that I will definitely be accepting (and declining my offer from SFU MPH Global Health)!

Good luck to everyone else! And please send me a DM if you'll also be accepting... I look forward to getting to know you!

Edited by hfmerc

Any replies from UVic yet?  Last week they told me they expect to have letters sent "sometime in the last week of March".

Nothing from Uvic either! Also still waiting on Queens, SFU social Inequities of Health, and U of T Health Promotion.

Hey everyone, I'm a first timer on this forum! 

I haven't seen too many people talk about the MPH program at McMaster (its new as of 2015-2016). But for those who have applied, I did get an email saying that I've been recommended by the department, so emails are definitely going out! I've also applied to the MPH program at Western, as well as to U of T for their Health Promotion stream, so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.  :wacko:

Good luck and congrats to those who have received acceptances already  :)

congrats @S.M.014 :)  I got the same e-mail from McMaster MPH today as well. Do you or anyone else know how long it takes for the School of Graduate Studies to accept the department's recommendation? Also is there a possibility that they can reject you at this point, or is it pretty much assumed that you will be formally accepted ? 

eeee927 I hope they can't reject us anymore! I told U of A that I accepted their offer, so I hope nothing goes wrong. 

As a side note, I just found out I was rejected from SFU, so any Global Health SFU people, you still have hope! 

Hi everyone,

I heard back from U of A today letting me know they would like to recommend me for admission to the MPH Global Health program! I'm surprised to hear back so soon since I interviewed on Thursday and they told me they'd get back to me in a couple of weeks.

The e-mail says: "In order to guarantee your place in the MPH – Global Health program, you must inform us by April 14, 2015, whether or not you intend to accept this offer. After this date, open seats will be offered to applicants on our waiting list. Our recommendation for admission will go to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) where a final decision will be made. This recommendation will go to FGSR only if you confirm your acceptance of our offer."

Just wanted to let everyone know that I will definitely be accepting (and declining my offer from SFU MPH Global Health)!

Good luck to everyone else! And please send me a DM if you'll also be accepting... I look forward to getting to know you!

Hi! I am in the same boat! I also was accepted to SFU in the Global Health Concentration and also to University of Alberta today :) I am so torn between which program to choose. What is making you choose U of A? Thanks so much in advance!

Congratulations to all of you who've been accepted! Super exciting!

Just wondering if anybody who applied to a stream other than Global Health at the U of A has heard anything?? From the looks of things on the forum, only Global Health has been sending acceptances today so just wondering if anythings happening for the other streams???