MPH CANADA FALL 2015 APPLICANTS

mphcan2015

I got a response from UBC yesterday afternoon (March 19): rejected. Feeling pretty down over here. Still waiting to hear from Lakehead and USask but UBC was my first choice.

I also got rejected from UBC yesterday :( Was my first choice too. Still waiting to hear from USASK, Waterloo, UVIC, and SFU! Fingers crossed

Hey everyone! I applied to UofT's OEH program - I completed my interview and now I'm just waiting for the results. The committee said all applicants should hear back by next week supposedly! I don't know about everyone else, but I feel nervous - the interview was challenging! The waiting game is brutal.

Same here! I had my interview as well and even though they said we should hear back next week, I have been staring at me email. It is torture! Anyways, goodluck to you!! Hopefully we will be future classmates :)

Hey! What kind of questions did they ask during the interview? I'm getting interview at U of A, but they might ask similar questions. 

I had an interview to UofT and here are a few things I would suggest:

- be able to talk about why you chose that program and school specifically

- Do your research on what the program you are applying to entail in terms of curriculum or maybe even practicum

- be able to provide them with a sense of direction in terms of what you will do with the degree (career goals or any other goals)

- The typical question - "tell me a bit about yourself" - this is your opportunity to sell yourself to the program so have a plan on what you will say - focus on your strengths and what you can bring to the program or why you are the perfect fit.

Hopet this helps and goodluck :)

-

out to sea,

i'm pretty sure the invites and invite times were for everybody. I think the shortlist is for the entire applicant pool, not just int'l applicants. From what I've heard the annual intake of GH students is only 10-12 per year.

As for filling a canadian quota, I don't believe there is one. See here: https://uofa.ualberta.ca/public-health/programs/admissions/applicant-profile

32% international applicants.

Someone else commented on UofA's transparency, and I figure I'd give my two cents.

I've been at UofA for 5 years and have applied to various grad/professional programs over a few years and without a doubt UofA is the absolute worst school for transparency. Great programs, not doubt, but it's like pulling blood from a stone to get anyone from admin to directly answer your questions. They don't want to reveal any evaluation criteria, nor do they want to give any sort of timeline. It has been immensely frustrating, especially since most other universities seem to be very accomodating. Pros/cons, I suppose.

Hey! Thanks for the advice. So do they have room for only ten students in GH or have they already picked some and we are the ones on the waiting list?  Any idea of what they'll ask for the interview? Are you have your interview next week also? Or are those interview times just for us foreigners? 

I suppose they have a quota to reach of how many Canadians they accept and only after that do they accept foreigners. Or how does it work in Canada? You're Canadian, right?

I'm also applying to the UK. The UK would be much, much cheaper, but the only issue is that no programme is CEPH accredited. If I just work in Brazil it wouldn't matter, but I might have to work in the US so I have to be prepared. 

Thanks!

I am pretty sure we are the top 20 candidates and they will narrow it down to the final 10 after interviews. U of A's MPH Global Health cohort is very small (my co-worker who was in the program 5 years ago said her class only consisted of 5 people).

Yes, I'm a Canadian and have my interview next week also. I have no idea what kind of questions they will be asking, but a few other people on the discussion board has offered some insight. I also don't know about any quotas for international students. Sorry!

Same here! I had my interview as well and even though they said we should hear back next week, I have been staring at me email. It is torture! Anyways, goodluck to you!! Hopefully we will be future classmates :)

That's so cool meeting another applicant! Yeah I'm beyond anxious - I wonder how many of us they interviewed before they made their final selection! It'd be so cool if we ended up as future classmates! I hope we hear by back Monday just so we could get the wait over with!!

That's so cool meeting another applicant! Yeah I'm beyond anxious - I wonder how many of us they interviewed before they made their final selection! It'd be so cool if we ended up as future classmates! I hope we hear by back Monday just so we could get the wait over with!!

I'm not sure how many people are interviewed but the website says all suitable applicants will be given an interview. I am guessing quite a few people were interviewed. Apparently last year they had 85 applicants overall. Doesn't seem too bad but I am still very nervous. Hoping for the best and I wish you luck as well :)

My advice is to understand the program - so do your research ahead of time. Also, make sure you know what it means to be in occupational health! Best of luck to you!

Thanks! I am going for Global Health, but I will try my best to prepare as much as possible.

I had an interview to UofT and here are a few things I would suggest:

- be able to talk about why you chose that program and school specifically

- Do your research on what the program you are applying to entail in terms of curriculum or maybe even practicum

- be able to provide them with a sense of direction in terms of what you will do with the degree (career goals or any other goals)

- The typical question - "tell me a bit about yourself" - this is your opportunity to sell yourself to the program so have a plan on what you will say - focus on your strengths and what you can bring to the program or why you are the perfect fit.

Hopet this helps and goodluck :)

-

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. I have written all this down and I am starting to prepare now.

out to sea,

i'm pretty sure the invites and invite times were for everybody. I think the shortlist is for the entire applicant pool, not just int'l applicants. From what I've heard the annual intake of GH students is only 10-12 per year.

As for filling a canadian quota, I don't believe there is one. See here: https://uofa.ualberta.ca/public-health/programs/admissions/applicant-profile

32% international applicants.

Someone else commented on UofA's transparency, and I figure I'd give my two cents.

I've been at UofA for 5 years and have applied to various grad/professional programs over a few years and without a doubt UofA is the absolute worst school for transparency. Great programs, not doubt, but it's like pulling blood from a stone to get anyone from admin to directly answer your questions. They don't want to reveal any evaluation criteria, nor do they want to give any sort of timeline. It has been immensely frustrating, especially since most other universities seem to be very accomodating. Pros/cons, I suppose.

Wow, thanks for your input. How can they objectively pick ten of the best candidates from everyone who applied? That must be a difficult process, but yes, greater transparency would make me feel better right now. =)

SFU MPH accepted students, send me a direct message! I'd love to connect with future classmates via FB or email.

I just checked my SFU profile and no changes. Perhaps I've been rejected. =( Hopefully I'll find out a certain answer this week.

I am pretty sure we are the top 20 candidates and they will narrow it down to the final 10 after interviews. U of A's MPH Global Health cohort is very small (my co-worker who was in the program 5 years ago said her class only consisted of 5 people).

Yes, I'm a Canadian and have my interview next week also. I have no idea what kind of questions they will be asking, but a few other people on the discussion board has offered some insight. I also don't know about any quotas for international students. Sorry!

Wow, only five people? Oh no, now I'm really worried. I hope they accept at least ten people this year, which is what they implied in the email they sent us. So you're interviewing next week also? Good luck, even though we're competing against each other! =)

I am preparing for the interview now. I also get really nervous for these things, and my blood pressure always goes through the roof. I've picked up a few books on meditation, so I'll try to put my new knowledge into practice this week.

Has anyone heard back from U of T for MPH Epi? I'm not expecting a response until mid April, but I know some other MPH streams have already heard back. 

Hi Everyone!

First time poster but long time follower!

I actually applied for Fall 2014 admission to UWO (MPH), U of A (MPH-Global Health), SFU (MPH-Global Health) and UBC (MPH/MSN).

I was accepted into UWO (around the middle of March) and then ended up declining my offer towards the end of April (they gave you about a month to decide and make the $1000 deposit).

U of A lost 2 out of my 3 reference letters, not only once but twice and then deemed my application ineligible! Trying to get answers from the U of A (as to why this happened, as it was their mistake/fault and completely out of my hands) was a nightmare and a half! Talked with over 20 people over a course of two and a half weeks and eventually ended up speaking with the assistant dean in the faculty of Public Health as was basically told: oops, well we will keep your money (because you pay the university and not the faculty, even through it was the faculty that screwed up!) and your application and you can pay and reapply next year using the documents from this year that we have already received or new ones. Um, let me think about that...NO THANKS! What does that say about the school and your program? As looking back at previous years of this blog, this has happened before and is not an isolated incident.

Was waitlisted at SFU, but unfortunately I never made it off the waitlist. SFU also refused to let me know how many people were on the the waitlist too.

Was accepted into the MSN program at UBC and then a week later was accepted into the MPH program, so I could pursue the dual MPH/MSN degree. I was the only student actually admitted to the dual program to start in Fall 2014 (the inaugural year of the program). But I deferred my admission for one year, so I could pursue a job opportunity that would further advance my nursing career.

So I will be attending UBC for the MPH/MSN program this coming fall! I would love to connect with anyone else headed to UBC in the months leading up to September.

As for everyone else, don't give up hope and keep your fingers crossed as I heard as early as mid-March and as late as July! Good luck to all those still waiting to hear back!

Edited by ringettegoalie

@ringettegoalie, congrats on the UBC acceptance - sounds like you will have a fruitful and fun year ahead of you! To everyone who interviewed at U of T's OEH program: we are supposed to hear back next week. What an exciting time :) I hope we all get into our top choice programs. Anyone else still waiting on Queen's general MPH? I know there have been a few acceptances so far but I am still waiting.

@ringettegoalie, congrats on the UBC acceptance - sounds like you will have a fruitful and fun year ahead of you! To everyone who interviewed at U of T's OEH program: we are supposed to hear back next week. What an exciting time :) I hope we all get into our top choice programs. Anyone else still waiting on Queen's general MPH? I know there have been a few acceptances so far but I am still waiting.

I received my acceptance to Queen's MPH a couple weeks ago and was asked to accept the offer by March 31st. I'm assuming they'll wait until then to send out another round of acceptance letters, so if you're still waiting to hear back maybe except news for the 31st or shortly thereafter :) I have a couple friends who are also still waiting!

Hello! Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances and good luck to those still waiting!

I'm currently in the MPH program at Guelph, so if you got any questions, feel free to email me at ichhay@uoguelph.ca

I don't check this forum often so it's better to email me. Hope to see you guys at Guelph in the fall :)

Hi all!

Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances so far :)

I was wondering if anyone has been in contact with UWaterloo admin? It seems like they have already sent out two rounds of rejections so let's hope that acceptances are coming out soon!

Hello all!

For all those thinking of or have already accepted queens or SFU, did you receive anything in the mail? And how do you go about accepting queens did you email Gerri or accept online?

Thank you and congratulations to those recently accepted!

To those accepted into USASK - how long did it take after your status changed online until you got an acceptance email? My status changed to "Dept Recommend" on Friday and still no email, getting nervous here!

To those accepted into USASK - how long did it take after your status changed online until you got an acceptance email? My status changed to "Dept Recommend" on Friday and still no email, getting nervous here!

It took several business days, so don't worry.  You'll also get an official offer in the mail