MPH CANADA FALL 2015 APPLICANTS

mphcan2015

I just got an offer from McGill saying the department has recommended me to Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, but it says I have to wait for a "final decision" from Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. I'm hoping this is a formality!!

I just got an offer from McGill saying the department has recommended me to Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, but it says I have to wait for a "final decision" from Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. I'm hoping this is a formality!!

Congrats! I just got this too. I will probably accept. It will be ~3000$ for me as a Quebec resident vs. ~$9000 at other schools. Plus I like the program. 

I'm sure this is a formality they would not send you this email and later rescind the offer. :)

I also just got a letter from McGill (congrats everyone else who did too!)

Can anyone tell me what the program is like? I also applied to UBC, U of T and for Global Health at Mcmaster, does anyone know what those ones are like?

Hi, I am sorry to hear that :( I was wondering when you say website, do you mean the Quest login ? I am still waiting :(

Yes, Quest login. Good luck!

Hi everyone! So glad this topic was started :)

I guess I should start out with some basic info, I applied to Mcgill (MsCPH), UofT (epi-global health emphasis), uOttawa (epidemiology), guelph (MPH-epi), McMaster (Global health).

For those of you who have heard back from McGill do you mind sharing your stats? My applications still says in Review but I am definitely nail biting now that I know you guys are in lol ! I am currently doing a Bsc at Uottawa in Biopharm, my overall GPA wasn't that great because I struggled a bit in 1st and 2nd year, but hey who knows ! I had a wicked awesome personal statement and two good references (from head of dpt of health sciences and head of microbiology dpt), so maybe that will make up for my weak grades.

Also do you guys mind disclosing when you applied? I submitted all of my docs by dec 12th so I'm assuming that automatically I am at the bottom of the pile lol 

I guess I should start out with some basic info, I applied to Mcgill (MsCPH), UofT (epi-global health emphasis), uOttawa (epidemiology), guelph (MPH-epi), McMaster (Global health).

For those of you who have heard back from McGill do you mind sharing your stats? My applications still says in Review but I am definitely nail biting now that I know you guys are in lol ! I am currently doing a Bsc at Uottawa in Biopharm, my overall GPA wasn't that great because I struggled a bit in 1st and 2nd year, but hey who knows ! I had a wicked awesome personal statement and two good references (from head of dpt of health sciences and head of microbiology dpt), so maybe that will make up for my weak grades.

Also do you guys mind disclosing when you applied? I submitted all of my docs by dec 12th so I'm assuming that automatically I am at the bottom of the pile lol 

Hey,

For McGill I recieved an email informing me of my acceptance, but my uapply still says in review - so make sure to be checking your email that you provided. Like you, my 1st year was bad so I was worried about grades, but I spoke to the grad people last year and they put more focus on 3rd and 4th year, which I did well in.

I finished my application on Dec 15th. I don't think they look at them as they come in or have a "top and bottom" of a pile, so I wouldn't worry about that. Hopefully your two good references will pull you up make a difference, I do think that is important. I also have almost a year of related work experience.

Good luck.

Hey,

For McGill I recieved an email informing me of my acceptance, but my uapply still says in review - so make sure to be checking your email that you provided. Like you, my 1st year was bad so I was worried about grades, but I spoke to the grad people last year and they put more focus on 3rd and 4th year, which I did well in.

I finished my application on Dec 15th. I don't think they look at them as they come in or have a "top and bottom" of a pile, so I wouldn't worry about that. Hopefully your two good references will pull you up make a difference, I do think that is important. I also have almost a year of related work experience.

Good luck.

Thanks Radica!! That makes me feel sooo much better lol Do you have natural science background too?  

I am in food science at U of Guelph right now, just finishing my last year.  I have an 87 average overall and a couple summers of research jobs (microbiology and cell culture based - so kind of public health related, but not really!). McGill says we should accept the offer (once we get the official one) by March 23, so I'm sure that soon after that they will send out some more offers!  I think that it is really early to hear back from any school, so try to be patient and wait it out :)

Also, does anyone know the class size for McGill's mph?

Thanks for your reply (above lol), I had called early in fall 2014 and the academic adviser told me that they usually have a class size of 16-32 students, and if i remember correctly last year they only took on 22...assuming no one else was good enough for them (just joking lol)

Thanks for your reply (above lol), I had called early in fall 2014 and the academic adviser told me that they usually have a class size of 16-32 students, and if i remember correctly last year they only took on 22...assuming no one else was good enough for them (just joking lol)

Thanks!!

I applied to MPH Global Health at SFU and U of A.

My co-worker who graduated from the U of A program in 2009 said she heard back about interviews around March, and about final acceptance around April. Not sure if the selection process is still the same, though, as I think there has been some restructuring at U of A.

Hi Everyone, 

I applied to the MPH program at Queen's and UBC. In addition I also applied to the master of global health (MGH) at McMaster. I haven't heard anything yet this year. Last year I had been waitlisted and accepted to the MGH program at McMaster but decided I wanted a year off to work and get some life experiences that were removed from academia. 

I have a honours degree in health science specialization in biology from UWO.

Fingers crossed and good luck!

Hey!

Thanks for your response it is very helpful. I got the impression that their online system worked fairly well and you have confirmed it. I applied to the social policy stream. I have a bachelor of arts in environmental studies and economics, so a bit of a weird one but I think it actually works for that stream.

On the website it just says that "My file has been forwarded to the department," as it has for the last month or so. Hopefully we hear back soon!

Good luck!

Yeah, mine says "App forwarded for Review" and it hasn't changed in the past month or so either.

I just got an e-mail acceptance offer from Lakehead University for their course based online MPH today! :)

Congrats Amanda5.  I applied there also but for nursing specialization with nurse practitioner electives... please tell me you DIDN'T apply to that part too and have already heard.  >>GULP<<  I've decided I'm only checking my online applications (also applied to Queen's MN/NP) once every Sunday and Thursday so I don't go crazy signing in and looking.  

@amanda5: Yes, I would assume that you would lose your $500 deposit if you accept an offer to Lakehead and then decide to go to another school. Also on the Lakehead admission letter, it states that you can accept only one offer at an Ontario university and to let graduate studies know if you decide to accept admission to another university. Sounds like they know their March 20 deadline is earlier than other schools and they are profiting from the waiting game. :(

After some thought, I decided to accept the offer from Lakehead as this program is one of my top ranked programs and I really doubt that I would hear back from the other programs that I applied to by March 20 (going by past discussion threads) . I got a response back from Grad Studies confirming my admission response and deposit and that they will let me know when registration is starting for the MPH program in September.

After hearing from a few that Waterloo is already letting some know of application rejections, I checked my application status and am continuing to wait to hear back from the department for both the MPH and health informatics programs. I am also waiting to hear back from MUN as well for the on campus offering of MPH program.

Edited by michelleh

Congrats Amanda5.  I applied there also but for nursing specialization with nurse practitioner electives... please tell me you DIDN'T apply to that part too and have already heard.  >>GULP<<  I've decided I'm only checking my online applications (also applied to Queen's MN/NP) once every Sunday and Thursday so I don't go crazy signing in and looking.  

No, I didn't apply to the nursing specialization one! 

@amanda5: Yes, I would assume that you would lose your $500 deposit if you accept an offer to Lakehead and then decide to go to another school. Also on the Lakehead admission letter, it states that you can accept only one offer at an Ontario university and to let graduate studies know if you decide to accept admission to another university. Sounds like they know their March 20 deadline is earlier than other schools and they are profiting from the waiting game. :(

After some thought, I decided to accept the offer from Lakehead as this program is one of my top ranked programs and I really doubt that I would hear back from the other programs that I applied to by March 20 (going by past discussion threads) . I got a response back from Grad Studies confirming my admission response and deposit and that they will let me know when registration is starting for the MPH program in September.

After hearing from a few that Waterloo is already letting some know of application rejections, I checked my application status and am continuing to wait to hear back from the department for both the MPH and health informatics programs. I am also waiting to hear back from MUN as well for the on campus offering of MPH program.

michelleh, congrats on accepting to Lakehead! We might be classmates (although I am still hoping for UofT) :)

Yes, because Lakehead did specifically state that you can only accept one offer is why I asked about accepting a second offer and then declining the first.

I've applied to U of T MPH (epi) and also MSc. epi at Queens and uOttawa. I've been accepted into Queens so far (Feb 22, really early!). They have given me a deadline of March 16 to accept/decline their offer. Don't think I'll hear back from the others until April though. I might end up accepting Queens and then choosing a different program if I am accepted into the other two (they would be my top choices).

@Epi2015 congrats on such an early acceptance! I have a general question for this forum: if an individual is accepted into multiple programs with different acceptance deadlines, would (s)he be able to take up one of the offers and later rescind it should it not be the first choice? 

@amanda5: I am hoping that you would get in your first choice of MPH program at UofT too. :) otherwise congratulations and welcome classmate .

@fallingup13: I guess that it depends on the individual. I feel that any graduate program should be one that you have strong interest to pursue and feel that this is the right environment to not only excel but grow. So, I definitely think it is ok to take up one offer and later rescind it to accept another. This is a big financial and personal investment in your education . :)

Though I do not understand why some programs across the country vary so significantly in deadline. :( It luckily worked out for me but otherwise I feel that it is another way that certain mph programs are making money by too much demand and I guess limited supply in spots. This should be a happy time when acceptance in mph program arrives...Not so stressful worrying about admission deadlines for various programs.

@Epi2015 congrats on such an early acceptance! I have a general question for this forum: if an individual is accepted into multiple programs with different acceptance deadlines, would (s)he be able to take up one of the offers and later rescind it should it not be the first choice?