MPH CANADA FALL 2015 APPLICANTS

mphcan2015

hfmerc,

best of luck with global health! i also applied to GH (2nd choice after epi).

from what a couple friends in GH have told me the interview was pretty lax. The way they described it was basically if they're giving you the interview, they're ready to accept you. they're just confirming you're not a psychopath.

they were given notice of the interview so that they could set aside ~20 min in their day. kinda strange though, one friend that was doing the phone interview was literally one floor below the interviewers and offered to come up and speak in person but they declined. keeping an even playing field I suppose. But it seemed like fairly standard interview questions. "why are you interested in field X", "what are you research/work interests", "explain trend in gpa/extracurriculars/etc"

Thanks! That's super helpful. Good luck with your applications!

Congratulation! Could you tell me how they contacted you? By phone or email? 

Thanks

I also heard back from SFU yesterday. I received an e-mail informing that I've been recommended for admission, and that I'll receive an official offer of admission via e-mail and in the mail within 4 weeks.

Hello all,

I was wondering on what basis you are ranking your schools in terms of preference. 

I have been accepted to SFU (PH) and Queens and am having trouble picking between the two. I also have applied to UW, U of T and Guelph but haven't heard anything. But even still how would you go about choosing, all seem like great school for different reasons and the programs don't vary too drastically?

Any insight would be much much appreciated. 

Congratulations to all that have been accepted!!!

I agree that a lot of the Canadian public health programs are very similar in quality, so preference really comes down to personal interests. For me, I applied to U of A and SFU and the former is my first choice because a) it's closer to home B) cost of living is cheaper c) class sizes are smaller d) program length is shorter e) and I've met a few of its students and professors and found their work to be interesting. If you can, I suggest finding current/former students or staff to talk to in order to get a better idea of which school is the best fit. Or take a look at their websites to see if they've been involved in any public health projects that you find really interesting.

Hello all,

I was wondering on what basis you are ranking your schools in terms of preference. 

I have been accepted to SFU (PH) and Queens and am having trouble picking between the two. I also have applied to UW, U of T and Guelph but haven't heard anything. But even still how would you go about choosing, all seem like great school for different reasons and the programs don't vary too drastically?

Any insight would be much much appreciated. 

Congratulations to all that have been accepted!!!

Hey MPH1103,

Most of the programs you applied to will be very similar.  I put McGill and U of T (epi) as my top choices because I really want to do epidemiology, and both these programs are really focused on it.  Depending on what stream you applied to at U of T, it would probably be very different from a more general program like Queen's.  But then there are other things to consider like whether or not they give any scholarship (I haven't heard of anyone getting a scholarship so far though! So disappointing), how much the tuition is, if you'll have to move far from home, how established the program is/how long has it been around?  Things like that.  Honestly though, I think all the universities give a very high quality of education so don't stress too much about it :)  Most schools post the required courses so I looked at those to get an idea of what the program will be like.

Just an update, I accepted my admission to Lakehead's MPH program today. The deadline is a few days away and I wanted to make sure my deposit payment would be processed in time. Still hoping to hear back from UofT though (although it would suck to lose $500, it's my top choice).

To those who have been accepted at Queens, do you have experience in public health? Im getting worried that I haven't heard back yet...

I didn't!  Don't worry - The last day for people who got offers to accept the offer is March 31.  So shortly after that they will probably send some more offers out

Hi eeee927,

Hopefully we will be classmates this Fall! :) My university uses a different grading scale than most but over the last 2 years I had an A to A+ average! Cumulatively my average would be from B+ to A-. They did not state whether my offer is conditional or not. They just said they are offering me admission and will be sending a formal admission letter shortly with the package. I think that in the formal admission package, it will specify the conditions of my acceptance.

Hi, I am wondering if you also had experience in public health?

Hey everyone,

I ended up deferring my application from Guelph MPH last year and am re-applying. Has anyone heard back? I'm put on the waitlist (over 300 applicants for 30 spots)... hopefully I'll get something!! Has anyone heard back from them?

Hey everyone,

I ended up deferring my application from Guelph MPH last year and am re-applying. Has anyone heard back? I'm put on the waitlist (over 300 applicants for 30 spots)... hopefully I'll get something!! Has anyone heard back from them?

How did you find out you are on the waiting list? I haven't heard anything from them!

Hi, I am wondering if you also had experience in public health?

Hi J242, 

I have some experience with public health through some of my undergraduate research and leadership positions I have had. Nothing extensive like working at a public health related organization though. Majority was based on my academic and co-curricular experience. 

Edited by eo92

Just received an email a few minutes ago that I have been short listed for the University of Alberta. I have my interview next week for MPH Global Health. Any idea of what they'll ask? 

If this has already been discussed, just guide me to the post please. 

Thanks! 

I forgot to add. On the short list, there are twenty of us for ten open spots. 

I'm from the U.S. and last year I did two internships in Kyrgyzstan. One for an NGO that helps children with disabilities where I was an assistant program manager and another at UNDP-Global Fund. 

After the interview, any idea of how long it will take before I know if I've been accepted or not? I also applied to SFU, but I see that some people have already received acceptance letters, so perhaps I've been rejected or short-listed? 

Canadians. If you had to choose between SFU and U of A, which one would you choose? I will either be working in the US or Brazil, where I have citizenship, so I'm looking for a university that will stand out the most internationally. Btw, I chose SFU and U of A because they are CEPH accredited and I might have to work in the US. 

Thanks again! 

Edited by out.to.sea

Just received an email a few minutes ago that I have been short listed for the University of Alberta. I have my interview next week for MPH Global Health. Any idea of what they'll ask?

If this has already been discussed, just guide me to the post please.

Thanks!

Hey, I believe someone had posted about this a few posts earlier. About last week or so!

Also, do you know if the U of A has sent out acceptances for all the streams or just interviews/short list decisions for Global Health? I applied to the Health Promotion stream and haven't heard anything yet, so just curious.

Hey everyone! I applied to UofT's OEH program - I completed my interview and now I'm just waiting for the results. The committee said all applicants should hear back by next week supposedly! I don't know about everyone else, but I feel nervous - the interview was challenging! The waiting game is brutal.

hn90,

I think only programs that require interviews were notified today (or perhaps only Global Health). Programs that don't require interviews haven't heard back yet (at least not epidemiology)

hn90,

I think only programs that require interviews were notified today (or perhaps only Global Health). Programs that don't require interviews haven't heard back yet (at least not epidemiology)

Ahhh ok, good to know. Thanks for the information, I appreaciate it!

I forgot to add. On the short list, there are twenty of us for ten open spots. 

I'm from the U.S. and last year I did two internships in Kyrgyzstan. One for an NGO that helps children with disabilities where I was an assistant program manager and another at UNDP-Global Fund. 

After the interview, any idea of how long it will take before I know if I've been accepted or not? I also applied to SFU, but I see that some people have already received acceptance letters, so perhaps I've been rejected or short-listed? 

Canadians. If you had to choose between SFU and U of A, which one would you choose? I will either be working in the US or Brazil, where I have citizenship, so I'm looking for a university that will stand out the most internationally. Btw, I chose SFU and U of A because they are CEPH accredited and I might have to work in the US. 

Thanks again! 

Hello, nice to see another Global Health-specific person! I applied to both SFU and U of A as well! I was recommended for acceptance at SFU and also short-listed at U of A.

If I had to choose between the two schools for a Global Health focus... after speaking with an SFU grad, a U of A grad, and 2 U of A current professors, I would definitely pick U of A. It has the only accredited School of Public Health. Class sizes are smaller (10 vs. 100 students), so you get a more intimate learning and really develop meaningful relationships with your classmates and professors. U of A professors, students, and grads are also well recognized and represented at global health conferences and organizations across Canada, and most likely internationally as well. For example, I went to the Canadian Conference on Global Health in Ottawa last year and there were so many presentations and keynote speakers from U of A, but I don't think I saw one person from SFU. I hope this helps!

Hello, nice to see another Global Health-specific person! I applied to both SFU and U of A as well! I was recommended for acceptance at SFU and also short-listed at U of A.

If I had to choose between the two schools for a Global Health focus... after speaking with an SFU grad, a U of A grad, and 2 U of A current professors, I would definitely pick U of A. It has the only accredited School of Public Health. Class sizes are smaller (10 vs. 100 students), so you get a more intimate learning and really develop meaningful relationships with your classmates and professors. U of A professors, students, and grads are also well recognized and represented at global health conferences and organizations across Canada, and most likely internationally as well. For example, I went to the Canadian Conference on Global Health in Ottawa last year and there were so many presentations and keynote speakers from U of A, but I don't think I saw one person from SFU. I hope this helps!

Hey! Thanks for the advice. So do they have room for only ten students in GH or have they already picked some and we are the ones on the waiting list?  Any idea of what they'll ask for the interview? Are you have your interview next week also? Or are those interview times just for us foreigners? 

I suppose they have a quota to reach of how many Canadians they accept and only after that do they accept foreigners. Or how does it work in Canada? You're Canadian, right?

I'm also applying to the UK. The UK would be much, much cheaper, but the only issue is that no programme is CEPH accredited. If I just work in Brazil it wouldn't matter, but I might have to work in the US so I have to be prepared. 

Thanks!

Hey everyone! I applied to UofT's OEH program - I completed my interview and now I'm just waiting for the results. The committee said all applicants should hear back by next week supposedly! I don't know about everyone else, but I feel nervous - the interview was challenging! The waiting game is brutal.

Hey! What kind of questions did they ask during the interview? I'm getting interview at U of A, but they might ask similar questions. 

Hey, I believe someone had posted about this a few posts earlier. About last week or so!

Also, do you know if the U of A has sent out acceptances for all the streams or just interviews/short list decisions for Global Health? I applied to the Health Promotion stream and haven't heard anything yet, so just curious.

To be honest I have no idea. I wish there was more transparency in the system. I am also applying to the UK. One university I just looked at guarantees a yea or nay two weeks after the due date. Hopefully we'll have some clarity soon! 

Hey! What kind of questions did they ask during the interview? I'm getting interview at U of A, but they might ask similar questions.

My advice is to understand the program - so do your research ahead of time. Also, make sure you know what it means to be in occupational health! Best of luck to you!

My advice is to understand the program - so do your research ahead of time. Also, make sure you know what it means to be in occupational health! Best of luck to you!

Thanks! I'm not Canadian, so I'm just wondering how these programmes choose how many Canadians and how many foreigners to accept? 

Looks like ubc has sent out acceptance letters as well

I got a response from UBC yesterday afternoon (March 19): rejected. Feeling pretty down over here.  Still waiting to hear from Lakehead and USask but UBC was my first choice.

Thanks! I'm not Canadian, so I'm just wondering how these programmes choose how many Canadians and how many foreigners to accept?

To be honest I'm not sure about their metrics. But I would assume it just depends on the quality of your application as opposed to your citizenship - although they may factor that in. With such a low acceptance rate, I'm sure they must consider a lot of things :(