MPH CANADA FALL 2015 APPLICANTS

mphcan2015

Thanks fallingup! I think you can rescind offers after acceptance, although the faculty will be annoyed. There's not much you can do if your deadlines don't match. It wouldn't be fair to not to be able to go to the school of your choice just because one of them had an early deadline for acceptance. At least there is a waiting list so others can take your spot.

@Epi2015 congrats on such an early acceptance! I have a general question for this forum: if an individual is accepted into multiple programs with different acceptance deadlines, would (s)he be able to take up one of the offers and later rescind it should it not be the first choice? 

Yes, I think you would just lose your deposit.

Hi everyone :D ! So glad I came across this thread - kind of late in the term but better late than never! 

I applied to UofT MPH (Health Promotion); GuelphU MPH; Queens MPH; & UofT MA in Higher Education (but that's not related to this thread  :)). I also wanted to apply to Mac & McGill but couldn't finish all the applications in time. 

I'm just finishing up my undergrad at uWaterloo (Honours BSc Health Studies; Health Research Specialization with a French Minor). 

I haven't heard back from any of the programs yet unfortunately, but definitely feeling the nerves now that I'm seeing people got acceptances/rejections! 

What are people's preferred choices? Also, I wanna resonate a previously-mentioned question: If you accept an offer, can you reject them later if you get a better offer from a preferred school? 

anyone else here apply to any of UofA's programs? I applied for both an MPH in Epidemiology as well as Global Health. Unfortunately the admissions office says they don't plan on letting people know decisions until mid-end of april!

Thanks fallingup! I think you can rescind offers after acceptance, although the faculty will be annoyed. There's not much you can do if your deadlines don't match. It wouldn't be fair to not to be able to go to the school of your choice just because one of them had an early deadline for acceptance. At least there is a waiting list so others can take your spot.

Thanks Epi2015, that was my original thought as well. I wish the whole application system for MPH programs in Canada was consolidated like it is for the US (SOPHAS). I will definitely accept my top choice when the time comes, regardless of other deadlines. I know that this is probably frowned upon but it would make me much happier and it would provide waitlisters with spots at their top school :) Happy weekend everyone!

Received a call this morning from U of T inviting me to interview. Quite excited! Does anyone know if Queen's conducts interviews for their MPH program?

Which stream did you apply to for U of T? Congrats the on the interview!

My status just changed at USask to "Dept Recommend - Conditional".  I already accepted the McGill offer, but I just wanted to let you guys knows so that you can check your USask accounts!   Congratulations to everyone who has received interviews/offers so far.  And for the others, don''t worry, it is still quite early!

Hey guys, long time lurker here. I got an email from the Waterloo MPH grad assistant with the words "The admissions committee is interested in your application, however...". That however was them asking me to resubmit a more official transcript. I dont know if this is a good sign or if I they are merely asking for more info? Anyone have any thoughts?

Also congrats to all those who got acceptances already!

Received a call this morning from U of T inviting me to interview. Quite excited! Does anyone know if Queen's conducts interviews for their MPH program?

I also received a call for an interview a couple days ago for the OEH program at UofT. Goodluck to you ! :)

Hi! I applied to U of T (health promotion) and Queens (MPH). I just got an email with an offer to the program at Queens this morning! They stated that they will need to receive our decision by March 31 (quite early). Good luck to everyone applying! :) 

I just received an offer fro Queen's (and I didn't have an interview), so apparently not!

Hi! I applied to U of T (health promotion) and Queens (MPH). I just got an email with an offer to the program at Queens this morning! They stated that they will need to receive our decision by March 31 (quite early). Good luck to everyone applying

Congratulations

hey @eo92 , congrats on your acceptance to queens!!! (I also applied to the program this year and it's my top choice) 

do you mind me asking what your average was, I want to see if I even have a chance for this upcoming sept 

also, is your acceptance conditional on maintaining a specific GPA average this semester? or do this semester's marks not count (if you are still in school) 

Edited by eeee927

hey @eo92 , congrats on your acceptance to queens!!! (I also applied to the program this year and it's my top choice) 

do you mind me asking what your average was, I want to see if I even have a chance for this upcoming sept 

also, is your acceptance conditional on maintaining a specific GPA average this semester? or do this semester's marks not count (if you are still in school) 

I am also waiting on Queens MPH... My status still says application complete... No offer yet. 

I don't have a strong GPA but I do have significant work experience 

Hi eeee927,

Hopefully we will be classmates this Fall! :) My university uses a different grading scale than most but over the last 2 years I had an A to A+ average! Cumulatively my average would be from B+ to A-. They did not state whether my offer is conditional or not. They just said they are offering me admission and will be sending a formal admission letter shortly with the package. I think that in the formal admission package, it will specify the conditions of my acceptance. 

Hi eeee927,

Hopefully we will be classmates this Fall! :) My university uses a different grading scale than most but over the last 2 years I had an A to A+ average! Cumulatively my average would be from B+ to A-. They did not state whether my offer is conditional or not. They just said they are offering me admission and will be sending a formal admission letter shortly with the package. I think that in the formal admission package, it will specify the conditions of my acceptance. 

Congrats on the Queen's acceptances, eo92 and ekunkel! I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I just checked the portal and the status hasn't changed, so keeping my fingers crossed. Even though the Queen's MPH program is relatively new, it looks very promising. Kingston is also a great city.

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum but a long time reader!

Just wondering if anyone has applied to or heard anything from the U of A? I know they started using a totally new system with the SOPHAS application this year but the wait is driving me crazy!!! This is my first time applying, does anyone know what their procedure is with interviews and what not as well?

Edited by hn90

hn90,

i applied to UofA this year as well! I thought I was the only one haha

I emailed them last week asking when we can expect to hear back and in the classic UofA fashion they were reluctant to say anything but said "we expect applicants to know our decision by the end of april".

though, the few friends I have in MPH programs heard back late march-early april last year.

as far as I know for interviews, only certain programs require them. Global Health does phone interviews but others have no interview at all (i believe health policy and epi don't).

Does anyone know how many people applied to McGill MPH this year? Do they post their admissions stats anywhere?

I know that they are planning to admit 20 students (I e-mailed and asked), but she didn't say how many applied.

For the schools that I have applied to have already began accepting (ie Waterloo, Queens, Lakehead), would the admissions committee at these schools be annoyed if I e-mail asking them if I'm on their wait-list (and if so what number), or should I just wait until the second round? 

hn90,

i applied to UofA this year as well! I thought I was the only one haha

I emailed them last week asking when we can expect to hear back and in the classic UofA fashion they were reluctant to say anything but said "we expect applicants to know our decision by the end of april".

though, the few friends I have in MPH programs heard back late march-early april last year.

as far as I know for interviews, only certain programs require them. Global Health does phone interviews but others have no interview at all (i believe health policy and epi don't).

Awesome, I was beginning to feel the same way haha. Thanks for the information, I've been trying to contact the admissions office for more information but it's been impossible to get a hold of anyone.

Yeah I heard the same for last year, but the one other person I was talking to who submitted their application near the deadline was saying they just got their verification email from SOPHAS at the end of February. So my guess is they've had to push the offer dates back while waiting for application verification?

Any ideas about what the intake size is for this year??