MPH CANADA FALL 2015 APPLICANTS

mphcan2015

Hi ! Does anyone know the difference between professional option and research option of OEH?  What's the job prospects of them?  Thank you!

I applied U of A, Mcgill, Queens and Mcmaster, but  I haven't heard from any schools yet :wacko: 

Hello Everyone!

Congratulations on your acceptances so far!

I applied to U of T (HP), Guelph, Waterloo, SFU (PH), Lakehead (Epi ) and Queens for MPH stream, as I got rejected from the majority of programs I applied to last year I wanted to broaden my scope by applying to as many as I could. Recently I received acceptance to Lakehead and Queens, and I have to  the 16th and 31st respectively to accept/ deny. I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight to any of these programs as I don't know which to chose for the time being and I don't want to put a deposit on both. 

Thank you!

Hello Everyone!

Congratulations on your acceptances so far!

I applied to U of T (HP), Guelph, Waterloo, SFU (PH), Lakehead (Epi ) and Queens for MPH stream, as I got rejected from the majority of programs I applied to last year I wanted to broaden my scope by applying to as many as I could. Recently I received acceptance to Lakehead and Queens, and I have to  the 16th and 31st respectively to accept/ deny. I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight to any of these programs as I don't know which to chose for the time being and I don't want to put a deposit on both. 

Thank you!

Hi MPH1103,

I've just found out that at Queens there is no deposit required when you accept. So you wouldn't have to worry about losing a deposit. Not sure about Lakehead, sorry! PS. Congrats on Queens! 

Hi there! Has anybody heard any news re: UBC? If not, any idea on their typical acceptance/rejection dates?

Also, is it true that 'no news is good news'? That is, do most schools send rejections with the first round of admissions, or will those come much later?

Thanks for the tips!

Hi Everyone,

I've applied to Uvic (social policy), SFU (social inequities of health), U of T (Health Promotion), and Queens but I haven't heard anything back yet. Has anyone heard from Uvic yet? I was looking at the forum from last year and it seems like people heard back from uvic earlier than other places

Hey Everybody, 

Just found the forum for 2015. I applied fairly early to all the programs (Queens, Waterloo, Guelph, UofT (HP) still waiting to hear back from them all except Waterloo which I got a rejection from on March 3rd. Hopefully I will get more positive decisions in the future. 

Congrats everyone on the acceptances, I am sure there should be many more to come :) 

Hi there! Has anybody heard any news re: UBC? If not, any idea on their typical acceptance/rejection dates?

Also, is it true that 'no news is good news'? That is, do most schools send rejections with the first round of admissions, or will those come much later?

Thanks for the tips!

I've been wondering about UBC also -- there doesn't seem to be too many West Coast MPH hopefuls on here! 

I was under the impression that the first acceptances normally go out in the first week of March, so I'm getting a little concerned that it's March 11 and I haven't heard a thing. But if neither of us have heard anything, maybe they're just a little later this year? Fingers crossed! I do know that they continue accepting people right up until May, so maybe they've sent out the first round of acceptance and are just keeping us 'on the hook' in case spots open up. 

I've been wondering about UBC also -- there doesn't seem to be too many West Coast MPH hopefuls on here! 

I was under the impression that the first acceptances normally go out in the first week of March, so I'm getting a little concerned that it's March 11 and I haven't heard a thing. But if neither of us have heard anything, maybe they're just a little later this year? Fingers crossed! I do know that they continue accepting people right up until May, so maybe they've sent out the first round of acceptance and are just keeping us 'on the hook' in case spots open up. 

HI jmk815! I know it is nail biting, I sometimes click refresh on the status page more times than needed. I get the impression that first acceptance are going out until end of March. And then when students reject/accept then a second round in April... This is my assumption. But as you can see from last year's thread people got acceptances until June-July! It is pretty insane. 

Hi Everyone,

I've applied to Uvic (social policy), SFU (social inequities of health), U of T (Health Promotion), and Queens but I haven't heard anything back yet. Has anyone heard from Uvic yet? I was looking at the forum from last year and it seems like people heard back from uvic earlier than other places

Hi, I applied to UVic (Public Health Nursing) and have not heard anything yet.  Earlier this week my status changed from "App forwarded for Review" to "File forwarded to department".  I did a search for what "file forwarded to department" means, and the Uvic site makes it sound like this means decision is still being made.

I'll keep you posted!

Congratulation brunski. I would like to ask some few questions because i also applied to Unisask. When did you send in your complete application for review. And can you briefly share your profile.

and finally did you used the school PAWnN acct to check your status or its the usual application acct?.

I am also expecting to hear from MUN.

Hey Everybody, 

Just found the forum for 2015. I applied fairly early to all the programs (Queens, Waterloo, Guelph, UofT (HP) still waiting to hear back from them all except Waterloo which I got a rejection from on March 3rd. Hopefully I will get more positive decisions in the future. 

Congrats everyone on the acceptances, I am sure there should be many more to come :)

Hi NAMPH-er! I actually applied to all those programs except UW (I go there now so don't really feel like sticking around ^_^). Haven't heard back yet either.

Do you have any information about the UoGuelph program other than what's mentioned on their website? I can't find any other sources of information or reviews about that program, but I applied either way! 

Best of Luck! 

Congratulation brunski. I would like to ask some few questions because i also applied to Unisask. When did you send in your complete application for review. And can you briefly share your profile.

and finally did you used the school PAWnN acct to check your status or its the usual application acct?.

Hello, I got my application in the day before it was due. I think Feb. 28? I got an email acceptance from the school and it also showed up on upaws. 

Profile: A average for last 2 years. 1 yr work experience.

Hello everyone!

Did anyone hear back from Guelph MPH? My application status (All documents received) has not changed for more than a month now...

Congratulations for everyone who got accepted!!

My status just changed at USask to "Dept Recommend - Conditional".  I already accepted the McGill offer, but I just wanted to let you guys knows so that you can check your USask accounts!   Congratulations to everyone who has received interviews/offers so far.  And for the others, don''t worry, it is still quite early!

Congratulations, when did you submit your complete application for review and what is your profile; in terms of Academic and work experience? My status still on "complete ready for review", i applied since Mid February.

Hey everyone!

I just discovered this forum. I have applied to the MPH programs at U of S, Queen's and U of T (Epi). So far I have been accepted to U of S and Queen's. U of T is my top choice so I'm hoping for good news!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted :)

Congratulations, when did you submit your complete application for review and what is your profile; in terms of Academic and work experience? My status still on "complete ready for review", i applied since Mid February.

I submit it early January and had all my documents sent in by late January.  My average is 87, I have one paper with my name on it in the Journal of Applied Micro, and I have two summers of research experience.  I just declined the offer, so that's one more spot available!  They said that they do it on a rolling basis and that they review them as they come in, so you probably just need to wait it out!

Hi T.I, I want to assume that the universities that have sent out admissions are attending to canadian applicants first. I also applied to USask and MUN last year sept/oct and I have not heard any word from either schools. By the way, I'm also an international applicant from Nigeria too although I'm presently visiting Canada. I hope it works out for us and big congratulations to Brunski and all others who have gotten their admission.

Hi T.I, I want to assume that the universities that have sent out admissions are attending to canadian applicants first. I also applied to USask and MUN last year sept/oct and I have not heard any word from either schools. By the way, I'm also an international applicant from Nigeria too although I'm presently visiting Canada. I hope it works out for us and big congratulations to Brunski and all others who have gotten their admission.

Hi Ivida, Nice to know that i'm not only international student waiting anxiously, at least i'm not the only Nija on the MPH sailing boat...... :)  :) .  i hope our application would be considered. All the best

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum but a long time reader!

Just wondering if anyone has applied to or heard anything from the U of A? I know they started using a totally new system with the SOPHAS application this year but the wait is driving me crazy!!! This is my first time applying, does anyone know what their procedure is with interviews and what not as well?

hn90,

i applied to UofA this year as well! I thought I was the only one haha

I emailed them last week asking when we can expect to hear back and in the classic UofA fashion they were reluctant to say anything but said "we expect applicants to know our decision by the end of april".

though, the few friends I have in MPH programs heard back late march-early april last year.

as far as I know for interviews, only certain programs require them. Global Health does phone interviews but others have no interview at all (i believe health policy and epi don't).

Hi, nice to see some other U of A applicants! I applied to Global Health at U of A (first choice) and SFU.

dmonsta, do you have any more intel on what the phone interviews are like (e.g. questions, length)? Do they just call you or do you get some advance notice?

hfmerc,

best of luck with global health! i also applied to GH (2nd choice after epi).

from what a couple friends in GH have told me the interview was pretty lax. The way they described it was basically if they're giving you the interview, they're ready to accept you. they're just confirming you're not a psychopath.

they were given notice of the interview so that they could set aside ~20 min in their day. kinda strange though, one friend that was doing the phone interview was literally one floor below the interviewers and offered to come up and speak in person but they declined. keeping an even playing field I suppose. But it seemed like fairly standard interview questions. "why are you interested in field X", "what are you research/work interests", "explain trend in gpa/extracurriculars/etc"

Just wanted to update: I heard from SFU today - I was accepted into their MPH program! Good luck to all other applicants!

Congratulation! Could you tell me how they contacted you? By phone or email? 

Thanks

Hello all,

I was wondering on what basis you are ranking your schools in terms of preference. 

I have been accepted to SFU (PH) and Queens and am having trouble picking between the two. I also have applied to UW, U of T and Guelph but haven't heard anything. But even still how would you go about choosing, all seem like great school for different reasons and the programs don't vary too drastically?

Any insight would be much much appreciated. 

Congratulations to all that have been accepted!!!