MPH CANADA FALL 2015 APPLICANTS

mphcan2015

I didn't think of asking about that, so I don't know, sorry! Did you apply to U of T epi as well?

No worries, was just curious! Yes I also applied to U of T epi :) Hoping for good news soon!

any news from McMaster ?

Hi, first round of acceptances went out about 2 weeks ago, the deadline to accept is this upcoming Monday. So after that is when they will most likely send out another round. They are aiming for 20-25 students in the program

Hi, first round of acceptances went out about 2 weeks ago, the deadline to accept is this upcoming Monday. So after that is when they will most likely send out another round. They are aiming for 20-25 students in the program

thank you Grad1515 for your response 

i haven't received any email indicates that i was recommended so i'm losing my hope here

do you have any idea if the second round are the ones who already received recommendation emails ? or are they going to send more recommendation emails?

Edited by mph201516

thank you Grad1515 for your response 

i haven't received any email indicates that i was recommended so i'm losing my hope here

do you have any idea if the second round are the ones who already received recommendation emails ? or are they going to send more recommendation emails?

I understand, the waiting is so frustrating. I am not too sure to be honest. But considering how the program is new, they have to go through SGS to ensure they have made the right choices. So SGS basically foresee's what the MPH department chose. So I feel they will send a recommendation letter first, then wait for SGS and then send out an offer letter. You can always email the department, (Tania B. or Dr. Scott) they are both really great with questions. 

Don't lose hope yet, where else have you applied? 

I understand, the waiting is so frustrating. I am not too sure to be honest. But considering how the program is new, they have to go through SGS to ensure they have made the right choices. So SGS basically foresee's what the MPH department chose. So I feel they will send a recommendation letter first, then wait for SGS and then send out an offer letter. You can always email the department, (Tania B. or Dr. Scott) they are both really great with questions. 

Don't lose hope yet, where else have you applied? 

initially,i was going to apply for fall 2016 but decided to apply to mcmaster since the deadline of applications was late compare to other programs

i'm still working in improving my application and resume but i thought i will try my chances with mcmaster since the program is fairly new 

so right now i only applied to mcmaster and i would be happy if i got any chance to be accepted there 

if not i will apply to more schools by next fall  

have you accept your offer there ?

Edited by mph201516

initially,i was going to apply for fall 2016 but decided to apply to mcmaster since the deadline of applications was late compare to other programs

i'm still working in improving my application and resume but i thought i will try my chances with mcmaster since the program is fairly new 

so right now i only applied to mcmaster and i would be happy if i got any chance to be accepted there 

if not i will apply to more schools by next fall  

have you accept your offer there ?

Yeah don't sweat it, if you have any question about the application or resume process you can always send me a pm and I can give you any tips etc. Other than that keep your fingers crossed, acceptances always go till late into summer :) 

I am stuck between Waterloo and McMaster, I believe I will be going for McMaster though 

Thanks for this info Grad1515. Got an email from MCMaster program coordinator saying my application is still in review process. I am literally hanging in air as Guelph deadline to accept the offer is fast aapproaching.

Anyone has any idea on program structure at Mcmaster? What courses they are offering and etc?

Thanks for this info Grad1515. Got an email from MCMaster program coordinator saying my application is still in review process. I am literally hanging in air as Guelph deadline to accept the offer is fast aapproaching.

Anyone has any idea on program structure at Mcmaster? What courses they are offering and etc?

Hi Charliemarlie, I am glad I can help

As far as I know the program runs for 16 months (full time) with the practicum option, and 24 months for the thesis option.

Sept -Dec:
Foundations of Public Health practice 
Public Health Epidemiology 
Biostatistics 
Public Health Seminar Series 1

Jan-April
Public Health Research Methods 
Public Health Policy
Electives 

May-Aug: Practicum

Year 2 (Sep-Dec)
Public Health Seminar Series 2
Electives

I found all the info on their posted webinars found on the MPH website :)

Edited by Grad1515

Hey guys. Does anyone else see "Incomplete Items Outstanding" for their UofSas application even though all the requirements have dates under "Received"?

Waiting on:

UofT

Queens

UofSas

Guelph

UAlberta

Hey guys, I've been lurking this thread (and others like it) for a while, and thought it was high time I posted. As someone pretty fresh out of school with absolutely no relevant experience or publications, its more than likely that I won't be recommended for admission this year. I'm really passionate about epidemiology and have a background in biology and statistics with a ~3.4 gpa. So yea, I'm not exactly sitting pretty. Can anyone share some advice as to how I can make myself a more competitive candidate in the future? 

Hey guys. Does anyone else see "Incomplete Items Outstanding" for their UofSas application even though all the requirements have dates under "Received"?

Waiting on:

UofT

Queens

UofSas

Guelph

UAlberta

I had "Incomplete Items Outstanding" on my U of S application for a while too. I contacted the school and they told me that this was there because I had not yet graduated from my undergrad (they didn't have an official transcript that said I had a degree). But this would not affect the review process because they would just look at marks from the transcript I had submitted.

So if you are still finishing up your undergrad as well but have submitted everything else then you have nothing to worry about! :)

Hey guys, I've been lurking this thread (and others like it) for a while, and thought it was high time I posted. As someone pretty fresh out of school with absolutely no relevant experience or publications, its more than likely that I won't be recommended for admission this year. I'm really passionate about epidemiology and have a background in biology and statistics with a ~3.4 gpa. So yea, I'm not exactly sitting pretty. Can anyone share some advice as to how I can make myself a more competitive candidate in the future? 

Hi SadGrad,

Firstly I think GPA is not the only factor to influence graduate school admission. My honest advice would be to try to find a research assistantship paid or otherwise that will lead to gaining research experience. And don't be afraid to go out on a limb and email a researcher that you don't know because I can attest to the fact that is how I obtained one of my research experiences. Just make sure they work for a reputable organization, have previous/present research experience in a field of your liking, and hold some sort of educational position on the side with a known university. It's seriously incredible how many opportunities there are and yes most aren't paid but that's alright because if you work hard and show promise the researcher will share some of the credit with you or might ask you to make a research poster to present at a conference. It will honestly be worth it in the long run as you will have a good foundation for more experiences. Hope you hear some good news soon! 

Hi SadGrad, it's great that you are asking for advice! As the previous poster mentioned your gpa does not define you. It is really how you sell yourself on the personal letter. And to sell yourself, you must encompass some sort of experience to show grad schools that you will be bringing in relevant skills and knowledge. I knew my GPA would not be the strongest component in my application (I knew my skills since 3rd year lets say). I worked in a non-profit organization with seniors over the summer, had a placement at another non-profit organization in the semester following and research experience with my thesis. These small efforts made the whole package which I think made a difference. 

So as mentioned, just put yourself out there! Maybe attend public health seminars, take notes and speak to the presenters and ask if there is anything you can help out with research or anything really! Once you start making those connections it really helps. Or look into organizations your interested in and contact them asking if they need help with anything volunteer wise. It is best to make connections with someone. Maybe if its not exactly epid. or public health but something related it will still work, you just have to make it sound like you gained the necessary skills to succeed in graduate schools.

Really stepping out there will give you rich experience and great connections for strong reference letters as well. I hope this helped :)  B)

Hey guys, I've been interested in the MPH program for a long time now and i'm hesitant to apply exclusively to MPH programs due to the competitive nature. I have two years of research experience, one year of working in a health department, and a few publications. Are there any suggestions on how to strengthen my application? 

I had "Incomplete Items Outstanding" on my U of S application for a while too. I contacted the school and they told me that this was there because I had not yet graduated from my undergrad (they didn't have an official transcript that said I had a degree). But this would not affect the review process because they would just look at marks from the transcript I had submitted.

So if you are still finishing up your undergrad as well but have submitted everything else then you have nothing to worry about! :)

Thank you for replying! I am glad the status didn't mean that there was a problem with the application. Although, unfortunately, I got a rejection email from USas today. 60/1000 applicants accepted, pretty intimidating... 

Waiting on:
UofT
Queens
Guelph
UAlberta

Rejected:
UofSas

has anybody heard back from U of T - MPH epi or Queen's MsC in epi?

i saw a post earlier showing u of t epi acceptances already rolled out in march, and another saying they weren't starting to send yet until end of april? can anyone clarify this?

Edited by mphcandidate2015

Do you have a local public health unit you can volunteer with?  Or a community health centre?  Basically, many public health programs want to see you have some experience in public health, and know what's involved.  That can either be work or volunteer experience.

i saw a post earlier showing u of t epi acceptances already rolled out in march, and another saying they weren't starting to send yet until end of april? can anyone clarify this?

I don't believe anyone has heard back from U of T epi yet. I know that some applicants to the other U of T MPH streams were notified sometime in March, but the last we heard epi applicants will not hear back until the end of April (at the earliest!)

Will anybody be accepting other offers while waiting for UofT?

My offers from other institutions expire this week and I don't want to end up rejecting them only to hear that I haven't been accepted into UofT, but on the other hand I don't want to accept the offer and then be offered into UofT's epi steam as well.

As a followup to my last post, are we allowed to reject an offer after accepting?

I have 2 days to accept my last offer and have not heard from UofT yet, so I really don't know what to do. I want to accept it as a backup, but UofT is my top choice and I don't want to miss out on it if I get in/

hn90,

i applied to UofA this year as well! I thought I was the only one haha

I emailed them last week asking when we can expect to hear back and in the classic UofA fashion they were reluctant to say anything but said "we expect applicants to know our decision by the end of april".

though, the few friends I have in MPH programs heard back late march-early april last year.

as far as I know for interviews, only certain programs require them. Global Health does phone interviews but others have no interview at all (i believe health policy and epi don't).

Hi,

I also applied to UofA and the wait is killing me. Please let us know when you hear from them.

Thanks.

Will anybody be accepting other offers while waiting for UofT?

My offers from other institutions expire this week and I don't want to end up rejecting them only to hear that I haven't been accepted into UofT, but on the other hand I don't want to accept the offer and then be offered into UofT's epi steam as well.

I also applied to U of T epi and am still hoping to hear back (it was my first choice). But I went ahead and accepted my offer at Queen's before the deadline just in case I do not get into U of T. I confirmed with Queen's that I didn't need to make a deposit so it should still be easy enough to change my mind, but other schools might not allow you to do that so I would check with them first! :)

Hi Everyone,

I applied to UofA (Health Policy and Mgt.) and not gotten any response yet. I have accepted SFU's offer but really waiting on UofA. Anybody else here applied for Health policy and Mgt.? Have you heard anything so far?

Thanks.

If anyone has questions about the core courses that all the MPH students take at UofT, feel free to ask!  I just finished up my first year in the Community Nutrition stream (which is being renamed the Nutrition and Dietetics stream).  There are a number of courses all the MPH students take, so if you have questions about the content, format, etc. of those, I'd be happy to provide some input.