To accept or hold out for others: that is the question

MidwesternAloha

The only school to which I've been accepted is pressuring me for a decision by Monday.  I totally understand schools' reasons for wanting to get answers ASAP and making it fair to other students, etc.  I'm waitlisted at a school that is a better fit for me, but who knows how that will go.  I want to get the ball rolling at the first institution, so if I accept, and later receive an offer from school #2, how bad would it be to retract my acceptance if it's prior to April 15?

Happens all the time, but no decent school should pressure you for an answer before April 15! Still, it sounds like your only option at this point is to do it -they're driving you to it!

I have this same question! This school wanted an answer by February 20th. I asked for an extension to March 15th but still, I can't expect to hear back from my waitlist at only March 15th. 

What kind of fallout can I expect if I "accept" my offer of admission and then later say "no thanks?" How binding is the agreement when I sign the letter (this is before the school has accepted me, this is just me saying yes to the department)?

I have this same question! This school wanted an answer by February 20th. I asked for an extension to March 15th but still, I can't expect to hear back from my waitlist at only March 15th. 

What kind of fallout can I expect if I "accept" my offer of admission and then later say "no thanks?" How binding is the agreement when I sign the letter (this is before the school has accepted me, this is just me saying yes to the department)?

I'm wondering this too. I have two schools that I'm on the waitlist for and they will probably notify me late.