Erasmus Mundus?!

pdh12

I wish I could find other people that know about or have applied to an Erasmus Mundus program. I've applied to the Crossways in Cultural Narratives, and would love to commiserate with others! 

Does anyone know about this program? It seems Awesome, yet strangely a secret....? Come out of the woodwork, fellow applicants!

It's not secret it's just... European ;) I suppose it's just not as well known in North America. In Europe pretty much every student knows about the different programs and many of my fellow students at former universities would participate in one of them. And they were all very happy about it!

I never did, the reason being that I was studying abroad anyway and my school gave me the option to "study abroad" in my home country about 60 miles from my parents place - I felt like it sort of defeated the purpose..

But it seems like a great option and nobody I ever talked to was unhappy about joining their programs. So good luck to you! I'm sure you'll love it!

I also applied to an Erasmus Mundus joint Masters program, Economic Policies in the Era of Globalization. Had a Skype interview with them about a week and a half ago, but it didn't go too well (misunderstanding about the wording of one of the questions, but the whole interview was only 10 minutes long so I didn't have time to recover from it). No word yet on my status, but they said I'd be notified "by the beginning of March" so I expect to hear back any day.

Information does seem harder to come by for these programs, for sure - certainly by North American standards. I'm still hoping to get in, but have no idea what my odds are after a mediocre interview. :/

Neat, it's cool to hear from you guys. *Interviews* are a horror show. I had one for a Phd program the other day, and everyone that Could go wrong Did. Literally a nightmare.

Yea, it would be great if there was a group or something of Mundus prospective students and/are alumni...last year I was accepted to Mundus but with no scholarship. But today I got an informal email from the program director which said they were finalizing decisions next week but he could "already tell" me that I was in a "very strong place".....

Ideally, I'd get the MA and move into a Phd program in Comp Lit. I wonder what it's like to live on a different campus almost every semester, and how feasible it is to develop a third language before your final semester...maybe it's not the same for non-litt master's..Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to find this thread! I just got accepted to the Masters in Lifelong Learning w/ a scholarship but I have an interview for the Global Education Policies Joint Masters tomorrow - AAAAA!!

I studied abroad during my undergrad many moons ago and I covet passport stamps like no other, so these programs seemed ideal. I got accepted to some other universities in the UK but with zero funding, so other than the attraction of a 1 year degree, I'm not sure what will happen unless I can scrape together some scholarships.

Great sign with the email from the program director - good luck, pdh! What other programs did you apply to?

I've been lurking around this site but feel like I should contribute given the topic. I finished an Erasmus Mundus Master's a couple years ago. The scholarships for third country (non-EU) students are fantastic, though the fixed stipend means that students in countries with a lower cost of living get a much better deal financially than students heading to expensive Western European countries. The academic quality of the program will depend 100% on what universities you're placed in -- or at least, that was the case for my program.

Good luck to all of you!

And an edit, to respond to some previous posts -- keeping in mind I'm coming from the point of view of just one person in one of these many different programs:

have2thinkboutit, I *think* you're talking about Erasmus, not Erasmus Mundus. Erasmus is just European study abroad; Erasmus Mundus is an umbrella system containing specific Master's and Ph.D. programs that include study at at least two different universities, usually in Europe. It's a related but separate program, and even in Europe people usually won't know what you're talking about when you say you're doing "Erasmus Mundus." 

pdh12, just moving around during the Master's was a treat, but Ph.D. programs sound a bit more intense if that's what you're heading into! Realize that you'll have to deal with housing and the local language in each location. If you're the kind of person that likes to dig into academic topics and you don't want to emerge until you graduate, Erasmus Mundus will be a shock, but if you don't mind a lot of your learning taking place outside the classroom, one of these programs could be great.

Edited by JR14

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

I've been talking on two other Erasmus Mundus forums (Masters in Public Policy and IMRCEES - Russia, Central and Eastern European Studies) so far.

Has anyone applied to these two? Or attended either of these? 

I had two friends attend the IMRCEES one. They just graduated this past year.

Good luck to everyone!

Ali