Fall 2010?

modernity

Hi paleoanth,

I will be applying to physical anthropology programs this semester, albeit I want to specialize in primate behavioral ecology. I am starting to narrow down my final list of schools. Have you asked your lor writers for recommendations yet?? I still need to do that but I want to wait until I'm 100% sure where I'm applying to.

hi angwantibo,

I already asked my lor writers, but that's about the extent of it. What programs are you thinking of applying to? (if I had to guess i'd probably say Emory, Duke, Harvard, Wisconsin....did I hit any of them?) Don't worry, i'm not competition! My sub-field is pretty obvious from my name!

Well, it looks like I found my tribe. :)

Cultural Anthro; ten programs; 8 PhD, 2 MA. My list is in the sig.

I am a non-trad student. Majored in ENG and PoliSci. My GPA is kind of a false low. I have a year of incompletes that I could not get off my transcript because it had been too long. So, a 2.9 at the time I apply. I'll probably be right at a 3.0 when I graduate. :(

However, I have research experience, an article under review for publication and I'm currently writing a grant with a local research institute under my mentor -- it's my research question and i'm doing all the lit review. If all goes well I'll be a paid researcher with them in the fall.

I did a 680V/360Q the first time. I retaking tomorrow after working through the quant books. We'll see. I'm not a spatial thinker and geometry is my achilles hell. But I figure if I just get close to 500 I'm ok. Thank goodness for verbal.

I am interested in knowledge production in post-colonized cultures, particularly among ethnic minorities.

Hi!

I am still picking schools. I was originally going to apply to PhD programs, but now I don't feel like my stats are good enough. I think I may just apply to MA programs, and hope that I can improve upon things there. I need to hurry up and decide though!

Hi Anthro people!!

First post here - thought I'd say hi after all these lurking around. Wow, haven't used internet forums for a loooong time (brings back memories of collegeconfidential madness back when I was applying to undergrad, and Harry Potter forum madness wayyyyy back in....the 90s...). Anyways, good to know there's a place where I can freak out together with fellow anthro applicants :) I'll also be applying for Fall 2010 - Ph.D. and some MA (Cultural Anthro...eek I'm seeing a lot of competition/enemies...I mean colleague/friends on this board...)

What I have done so far:

*SOP draft - spammed friends to proofread. Most of my friends are science and engineering though, and they find my SOP very...hazy and abstract. I decided to focus more on my conceptual interests (along the lines of transnationalism) rather than concrete research topic at a specific place (my region of interest is kind of...all over the place and getting out of control...hence the "nomad" username) so I'm having a hard time narrowing it down. meh. I might spam you guys for ideas next time I get the writer's block

*secured LORs (not TOO confident about how strong they would be...but should be okay)

*registered for some school's online application (just setting up passwords and filling out name and address...and stuff. but makes me feel like I'm doing something productive)

*emailed a bunch of potential advisors - not much response. some heartbreaking replies like "aww, I'm not taking students" :( very positive reply from my absolute TOP choice, but super competitive program so can't be too happy about it =/ I probably should email some more professors though. I've heard mixed opinions about this, but it seems like establishing contacts with professors is very important indeed...

*took the GRE: V high 500s (um...international student, is my excuse, but I was getting 600+ for powerprep! wahh) / Q low 700s (lack of math education for the past 4 years, mixed with my Asian "inherent" math instinct) / awa 4.5. gah! screw you awa! - overall, somewhat mediocre, especially for some of the top programs I'm considering. But after massive googling and lurking on thegradcafe, I've decided against retaking it - at least for now. I don't think I can improve my scores that much anyway...

*read all 38 pages of last year's official freaking-out thread. ugh I realized I'm a little too optimistic and calm right now...it gets ugly around February huh.I need to go over the list of schools and add some more safeties...

hehe anyways, that was my brief (?) introduction. Nice meeting you folks! I'll be around :)

*goes back hiding underwater*

• 4 weeks later...

I'm applying to CUNY's anthropology program for Fall 2010. I took the GRE's last year and so I'm focusing all of my energy on the SOP and my writing sample. I'm interested in non-profit funding and social movements- yeah, another cultural anthro person.

Anyone know much about the CUNY anthro program?

I'm applying to CUNY's anthropology program for Fall 2010. I took the GRE's last year and so I'm focusing all of my energy on the SOP and my writing sample. I'm interested in non-profit funding and social movements- yeah, another cultural anthro person.

Anyone know much about the CUNY anthro program?

One of the profs I interviewed this summer came out of there. He lauded their diverse student body and said they use to have a couple of very supportive faculty. He said a lot of them have since retired, but they still have a holisitic application process that doesn't over-rely on gre scores. However, he also said that the large cohorts mean lack of individual attention. Profs tend to identify potential stars early on and everyone else kind of has to fight for attention. Ummmm..what else? I have notes from our conversation. LOL He said they have a strong activist/applied bent.

Hope that helps.

coyabean-

thanks for the info!

I'm still really excited about CUNY because of the prof and student interests that I've seen on the website but also... they house the only prof who has responded to an email I sent to get a feel for the program, what kind of work they're doing and if they're taking students next year. He's been really awesome and helpful- even volunteered to look at my SOP and CV and then gave me some great constructive feedback on it and personal anecdotes related to my research interests. I realize that's no guarantee that he or anyone else will be as friendly and helpful once i'm a student but I haven't found that many programs with so many faculty members working on and teaching so much of what I am interested in.

Well, anyway- I am a member of the lj applyingtograd community and I was really impressed by your research interests and SOP. I enjoyed reading about your perspective! I've got a lot of work to do on my SOP myself and yours is one that has set the bar for me! I saw your brief intro above- I also come from a non-anthro background (Poli Sci and Sociology) and I can't wait to start integrating my background into the world of anthropology!

coyabean-

thanks for the info!

I'm still really excited about CUNY because of the prof and student interests that I've seen on the website but also... they house the only prof who has responded to an email I sent to get a feel for the program, what kind of work they're doing and if they're taking students next year. He's been really awesome and helpful- even volunteered to look at my SOP and CV and then gave me some great constructive feedback on it and personal anecdotes related to my research interests. I realize that's no guarantee that he or anyone else will be as friendly and helpful once i'm a student but I haven't found that many programs with so many faculty members working on and teaching so much of what I am interested in.

Well, anyway- I am a member of the lj applyingtograd community and I was really impressed by your research interests and SOP. I enjoyed reading about your perspective! I've got a lot of work to do on my SOP myself and yours is one that has set the bar for me! I saw your brief intro above- I also come from a non-anthro background (Poli Sci and Sociology) and I can't wait to start integrating my background into the world of anthropology!

Did you send me a message on lj? i'm terrible at checking that inbox! if that's you feel free to send it over. Just let me know to expect it.

And thanks! It has been very, very, VERY difficult to find people to support my interest. I find anthro thinks small villages in South Asia are sexier than North American, urban or complex society studies. I guess it seems pedantic. However, I figure you better know thyself as the saying goes. :)

Getting feedback is a great indicator. IF nothing else your app is better focused for that program. I see Am Studies in your sig too. I've also got one on my list. Are you looking at USC?

Did you send me a message on lj? i'm terrible at checking that inbox! if that's you feel free to send it over. Just let me know to expect it.

And thanks! It has been very, very, VERY difficult to find people to support my interest. I find anthro thinks small villages in South Asia are sexier than North American, urban or complex society studies. I guess it seems pedantic. However, I figure you better know thyself as the saying goes. :)

Getting feedback is a great indicator. IF nothing else your app is better focused for that program. I see Am Studies in your sig too. I've also got one on my list. Are you looking at USC?

I didn't send you a message- i'm harborafternoon.

and yeah, i'm looking at American Studies at NYU- I'm really just looking at schools in the NYC area because I want to stay here for awhile longer. I'm surprised that it's been hard to find folks interested in urban studies in the US/North America! It has seemed to me that urban studies is the popular interest if they're not looking at hominids! lol. but yeah, i was talking to someone about interests and regions and trendy popularity and it seems Africa (and I guess Asia) are the new Latin America.

I didn't send you a message- i'm harborafternoon.

and yeah, i'm looking at American Studies at NYU- I'm really just looking at schools in the NYC area because I want to stay here for awhile longer. I'm surprised that it's been hard to find folks interested in urban studies in the US/North America! It has seemed to me that urban studies is the popular interest if they're not looking at hominids! lol. but yeah, i was talking to someone about interests and regions and trendy popularity and it seems Africa (and I guess Asia) are the new Latin America.

Yeah, I answered my own question by looking in my inbox after I posted. :) Man, it is crazy! I get the inherent other in this field but the refusal fo some folks to observe their immediate surroundings is really surprising. And I hear the same thing. Everyone is all South Asia and Africa, although I don't know if Africa ever goes out of style. I thinks some folks go into anthro just to take pictures in grass and mud huts. /eyeroll I see faculty pages full of these pics. :D

French is my research language so I could, theoretically, expand to include developing nations in Africa but it's not my primary focus and I don't feel like lying about that.

Good luck with NY! It's a crazy market.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to finish applications now too, for Fall 2010. Looking mostly at MPP/MPA programs, including: Maxwell Syracuse, HKS, WWS, Columbia SIPA, Johns Hopkins, NYU, Cornell, Georgetown and American. I'm going to apply to the joint MPA/PhD in Geography program at Maxwell, as I"m interested in cultural and political geography with a focus on gender. Anyone else applying for any of the certificate programs at Princeton? I submitted a statement of interest for the cert. program in demography. GPA: 3.82 from Smith, GRE: V 700/Q 710/4.5. Analytical writing score's lower than I expected, but I'm hoping it's not a big deal. Is anyone else interested in gender and/or migration in policy? I've love to hear what folks applying to the MPP/MPA programs are interested in focusing in.

Other Upper Paleolithic people are probably too much to ask for, but are there any other archaeologists out there? I finally submitted my first application (University of Minnesota PhD) and am in the mood for some cathartic discussion.

Hi, Lascaux. I do cultural anthropology, but I also applied to Minnesota. What an exciting, underrated program! Maybe I'll see you in the Twin Cities.

Other Upper Paleolithic people are probably too much to ask for, but are there any other archaeologists out there? I finally submitted my first application (University of Minnesota PhD) and am in the mood for some cathartic discussion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

Just wanted to add my voice to the chatter...

I'm an undergrad at at a school in the Bay, proposing to do a social anthro phd, with a focus on transnationalism, diaspora, and religious identity.

I have a solid anthro GPA, I am assuming good LORs, some research experience, and a statement that has been read and re-read.

Getting nervous as apps are closer to being due, and I have a lot to do...

I applied to NSF and Ford (yikes!), the Fulbright and then.......

Berkeley

Harvard

Stanford

Duke

John's Hopkins

Uchicago (Mapss)

Columbia (Masters)

Lets see what happens for all of us as we jump down the rabbit hole!

Hear, hear! Getting paper copies of transcripts has proven to be quite a hassle. It also adds significantly to the expense of the process- in my case, I have to submit transcripts from four prior schools to eight prospective Ph.D. programs, so that's 32 transcripts- not cheap! Also, UC Irvine requires not just one, but TWO official copies of every transcript! Really? It's time to go digital!

Hear, hear! Getting paper copies of transcripts has proven to be quite a hassle. It also adds significantly to the expense of the process- in my case, I have to submit transcripts from four prior schools to eight prospective Ph.D. programs, so that's 32 transcripts- not cheap! Also, UC Irvine requires not just one, but TWO official copies of every transcript! Really? It's time to go digital!

My undergrad university will send out unlimited free copies of my transcript for life.... I don't even have to pay postage. It made it so much easier because I'm living abroad, I didn't have to organized any of that stuff in advance. That's what schools should real do, if not go digital! I mean we all paid enough for an undergrad education that we should at least be able to prove what we did.

Hello everybody!

Hopefully will feel less stalker-like if I introduce myself! I'm applying to PhD's in biological/evolutionary anthropology, am in the UK, and Lascaux - am an archaeologist by trade, if that helps, firmly embedded in the Middle Palaeolithic currently but would be happy to chat stones/bones/Aurignacian antler points. :)

Just checking in...there are many more of us than I expected! Anyone finished with apps? Heard anything back yet? Have anything else interesting happen to them in the admissions process?

I'm winding mine up. I just can't seem to let go of this SOP. must...keep...editing. haha.

I also am nervous about sitting around waiting for answers. I think that may drive me nuts!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to share some good news, in hopes that it will serve as a harbinger of good news for everyone else on this board. I received an e-mail this morning from a professor at Minnesota, letting me know that I have been admitted to their Ph.D. program and am being nominated for a graduate fellowship. YAY.

Minnesota is one of my top two or three schools, so I feel very lucky to have this peace of mind so early in the process. Now I'm crossing my fingers for everyone else...

Just wanted to share some good news, in hopes that it will serve as a harbinger of good news for everyone else on this board. I received an e-mail this morning from a professor at Minnesota, letting me know that I have been admitted to their Ph.D. program and am being nominated for a graduate fellowship. YAY.

Minnesota is one of my top two or three schools, so I feel very lucky to have this peace of mind so early in the process. Now I'm crossing my fingers for everyone else...

That's exciting!! Glad to hear it!