Difference between College and University in Canada ? Which is better to apply ?

li1234

Hi everyone,

I have been searching for a good universities for me to apply next year either in Counselling or Clinical. I came across couple of courses provided by colleges and then their are universities ... I am not familiar with this since in my place uni and col are pretty much the same meaning.

How effective is it being graduated in a College program vs a University program ??

Does it make sense to first apply to one of the practical diploma courses offered by Colleges and then move to a Phd offered by Universities ??

Colleges are like community college in the U.S. and universities are like our "college".

But if all you want to do is practice clinical (no research, no nothing, go straight into the field) choose the cheapest option that will get you the credential you need.

To add to iphi's advice, if, on the other hand, you do want to do research and get into a research PhD program then you might want to get your undergraduate degree from a University. However, a very common path is to do the first 2 years at a college (much cheaper tuition**, and in some cases, better instruction since the people there are hired to teach, not to do research) and then transfer to a University to take 3rd and 4th year courses and finish your degree. Depending on your transfer credits, it takes between 2.0 and 3.0 years at University to finish off a degree. In the end, you will receive the same degree as a student who went to University for 4 years, but you save a few thousand dollars in tuition.

(** In general, tuition at a college is about $3000/year, which is much more affordable than $5000-$7000/year that most Universities charge. Also, colleges tend to have part-time rules that are more flexible, which means it's possible and usual for students to work part-time in order to pay tuition. When you get to University, summer research positions might help bridge the gap and pay for the extra tuition).

A university in Canada is equivalent to college in USA and a college in Canada is equivalent to a community college in USA. In terms of Clinical or counselling specifically, if you want to become a licensed counselling psychologist or a clinical psychologist, I would go to a 4 year university and build up your research experience in labs on that campus, do a thesis, go to conferences, get some publications etc. then apply to a MA or PhD program. That's really your best bet to get into a counselling or clinical program in Canada, they are very competitive so starting off in university right away is probably your best option. On the other hand, if you want to work as a counsellor like in mental health or in education you could take a few courses in college then transfer over to university and not focus as much on the research aspect, but at the end of the day all graduate schools here require a bachelors in some form as a minimum admissions requirement so it probably would serve you best to start off in university either way.

Edited by LebaneseKafta

Colleges are like community college in the U.S. and universities are like our "college".

But if all you want to do is practice clinical (no research, no nothing, go straight into the field) choose the cheapest option that will get you the credential you need.

A university in Canada is equivalent to college in USA and a college in Canada is equivalent to a community college in USA. In terms of Clinical or counselling specifically, if you want to become a licensed counselling psychologist or a clinical psychologist, I would go to a 4 year university and build up your research experience in labs on that campus, do a thesis, go to conferences, get some publications etc. then apply to a MA or PhD program. That's really your best bet to get into a counselling or clinical program in Canada, they are very competitive so starting off in university right away is probably your best option. On the other hand, if you want to work as a counsellor like in mental health or in education you could take a few courses in college then transfer over to university and not focus as much on the research aspect, but at the end of the day all graduate schools here require a bachelors in some form as a minimum admissions requirement so it probably would serve you best to start off in university either way.

To add to iphi's advice, if, on the other hand, you do want to do research and get into a research PhD program then you might want to get your undergraduate degree from a University. However, a very common path is to do the first 2 years at a college (much cheaper tuition**, and in some cases, better instruction since the people there are hired to teach, not to do research) and then transfer to a University to take 3rd and 4th year courses and finish your degree. Depending on your transfer credits, it takes between 2.0 and 3.0 years at University to finish off a degree. In the end, you will receive the same degree as a student who went to University for 4 years, but you save a few thousand dollars in tuition.

(** In general, tuition at a college is about $3000/year, which is much more affordable than $5000-$7000/year that most Universities charge. Also, colleges tend to have part-time rules that are more flexible, which means it's possible and usual for students to work part-time in order to pay tuition. When you get to University, summer research positions might help bridge the gap and pay for the extra tuition).

Thank you all for replying :)

Sorry I forgot to introduce myself, I have already completed a Msc in Clinical Psychology in India. I want to apply to the Phd program but i felt maybe I shud get an understanding first how psychology is in Canada. So I thought I can apply for a Graduate Certificate course of 1 year and through that hopefully form good contacts and pay way towards me applying for a Phd. 

But I dnt know if this path even makes sense cause I dnt know how good a Graduate Certificate course is??? I mean does Universities recognise this course when I apply for Phd ..... Or it doesnt make a difference whether I do a Graduate certificate Course or not ..... Rather I should just apply for a Phd straight away ...

Any suggestions ??

I dnt want to apply for a Master course main reason it is expensive and I am looking at practical experience right now which according to the various college websites Graduate Certificate courses provides that hands-on experience .... Is it true ???

My biggest worry is wasting my time on a 1 yr Graduate certificate course ... and would greatly appreciate honest feedback whether to pursue it or not.

I have identified 2 community colleges and the Graduate Certificate Course of 1 yr that they provide:

Humber college - Early Education - Advanced Studies: Special Needs , Addiction and mental health

Durham College - Addictions and mental health

Are these colleges good and do you know anyone who have taken these courses and what were their feedbacks ??

Its alot of doubts I have posted, hope you all can help me further  :(  ^_^

it would still be good if you could maybe tell us a little bit more about your research experience?

like LebaneseKafta said, clinical/counselling PhD programs in Canada can be very, very competitive to get into so if you don't have maybe,  a publication in a refereed journal  or some professional conference presentations it wouldn't hurt you to take a year to improve in your research experience.

but if you already have that, then applying straight to the PhD would make more sense.  

Those are fine programs but no one reviewing your application for clinical programs will care. They might for counselling programs. 

I know a lot of people in clinical phd programs in Canada (and was in one myself) and not a single one had completed a college certificate. 

I also don't think you should apply to the PhD programs but to the masters programs. In psych in Canada you generally apply to the MA and then are admitted to the PhD directly from the MA. You are only admitted to the MA if you intend to pursue the PhD. Occasionally students with MAs are admitted straight to the PhD, but that's pretty rare. Those spots are also more limited. Quite a few people will already have MAs when they enter the clinical psych MA stream.