materials science -- fall 07

So I'm planning to apply to MSE programs for fall 07 -- anyone else?

Two general things I'm wondering:

(1) I'm looking to do research that addresses energy and/or environmental problems (and to eventually work in industry or for example at a national lab; I'm not interesting in teaching). I've found some highly-ranked programs (Cornell, MIT, RPI, etc) with programs that specifically address these, but I don't know how competitive of an applicant I am since I'm switching fields (though I know that's not unusual for MSE). Are there any lower-ranked programs with a major focus on those applications?

(2) What does it mean to be a competitive applicant?

I'll be getting a BS in physics from a highly-ranked public school (although its stronger programs are in humanities rather than sci/eng) and have a good gpa and GREs as well as research experience, definitely classifiable as mat sci, beginning the summer after my 2nd year (one second-author publication). However, I haven't taken chem or bio since high school -- my electives have been extra physics, math, and language classes. But I just don't know how to judge whether it would be insane to apply to mostly top programs, or what...

I too will be applying to MSE grad programs this coming fall. I don't have any great answers for you, but I will say that you should not be disadvantaged in the least being a physics major. Having basically completed my materials engineering major, I actually wish I had a stronger physics background. It's necessary to have a strong grasp of physics to study current hot fields such as magnetic, electronic, and nano materials. If what you say about your stats is true, you have no reason to avoid high end programs.

Keep me posted on future developments.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you have a great advantage having physics background. I am a Comp Sci major and yet I found most research based projects I've done involved physics in one way or another. So far you, Othello and I seem to be the only three planning to apply for grad school and fellowships in 2007. Please keep us posted on your progress (I'll do the same :P)

I plan to make a public calendar that contains deadlines , important dates etc for both universities and fellowships. I'll make it editable by everyone, do you think you would be interest in something as such ?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another question: I've definitely gotten the impression that in many fields, it's greatly advantageous to have contact with professors in a program before applying to it, because they pretty much match you up as they're doing admissions. However, some mat sci programs indicate that it's fine if you don't have your interests narrowed down yet and that it's standard to talk to lots of profs during your first semester and rank your preferences before they assign your whole class to advisors at once.

So, for mat sci specifically, is it more or less expected to have had contact with a potential advisor? It is discouraged or considered annoying to email one? Or is it somewhere in between?

I'm thinking it's not expected of you to contact a potential advisor. I actually did e-mail a professor at Stanford who I was interested in a few weeks ago. I basically told him I was interested in his research and asked if he was taking new grad students next fall. So...he never responded, but you can't expect a reply. Some professors may be open to speaking with potential students while others may not. I guess it's worth a shot as long as you're polite and respectful. Professors are very busy people and don't need to spend their time chatting with strangers, so be very grateful if they respond.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone else noticed how the Stanford MSE faculty website hasn't been updated since 2002?!? It's ridiculous. I e-mailed the department secretary back in August, and she said they'd begin updating it sometime in October or Novemeber. Still no updates... Geeze louise, this is STANFORD! It worries me, frankly. I know the application deadline isn't until January, but I'd like to know if this school has relevent research sometime BEFORE the deadline is nearly here. I've already learned from a professor of mine that one of my top choice professors at Stanford (based on information 4 years old) isn't even there anymore... Ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have finalized the list of schools I'm applying to at last:

Stanford

Cornell

MIT

Rensselaer

Georgia Tech

U Michigan

Northwestern

U Wisconsin

Carnegie Mellon

U Penn

Penn State

So I'm basically shooting for the moon. Help. It seems equally likely that I'll get in nowhere or get in to so many that the decision makes my brain explode. But really I just have no basis for judgment; every part of my application is decent, but I'm not sure that the totality is outstanding.

I ended up applying for the NPSC fellowship, but not NSF. I knew I couldn't do a great job on it so I decided not to waste my time. Maybe next year when I have a better idea of what I'm working on -- some schools expect you to find an advisor in the first month, so I might actually know in time!

Anyone else? We can compare interpretations of essay questions...

• 1 month later...

Othello, congrats --- Cal is awesome!!! Did you get their decision over email or phone or normal postal system ?

agm, I thought CMU's general deadline is 12/15 ? I also apply to GaTech and find its application process inconvenient, they require you to submit the application BEFORE sending invitation emails to recommender's.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, my last post seems to have been deleted.

I received word of my acceptance in an e-mail from Berkeley. The formal letter just came yesterday.

Also, I was just invited to an all-expenses paid visit to Caltech! I wasn't given any sort of admissions decision, but surely this is a good sign.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...