Writing Sample Advice

aem88

I'm in the process of writing my SOP and reviewing my writing sample at the moment. I'm applying to PhD programs in film/tv studies in the fall, and my writing sample is the best work I completed during the MA studies in the same field. It is the result of several months of revision, with consultation from three faculty members that are very knowledgable about the subject matter. I presented a draft of my research at a major conference in March 2008. Overall, I felt that the paper was exactly where it needed to be.

My question is: Should I update the content? The subject matter is very contemporary, and while it's not out of date now, there are several updates that I could add concerning developments in the last year and a half. I think that it is an excellent example of my ability to perform graduate level research and writing, and it completely aligns with the my interests I discuss in my SOP. I just don't want to compromise the final draft I have now by including updates that may seem tacked on. What do you think?

Hey, looks like you're my competition! I'm applying to the same program/schools as you pretty much! :D Anyways, I think the sample you have is fine. I really don't see a need to update it. If it shows your best writing I think that's all that matters. The admin people know that what you are turning in is something you probably wrote as a grad student and if it's only a little old (2008 was only last year) I think they know you didn't have time to update it. The point of the paper is to show off your writing ability. I don't think the actual content matters too much in a way for the application. Good luck.

I don't think you need to update anything. Adcoms know you're submitting work you've done in previous semesters so it's fine if you leave things as they are now. The writing sample is about your ability to conduct research and your writing skills, that's what's most important.

Thanks so much for the advice. I think I've decided to leave it as is, though of course with proofreading by myself and everyone I know.

neoreeldancer- Awesome! Good luck to you too! We should keep each other updated as the deadlines get closer.