Program Specific Thread - The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla

ChanEvansLam

I am 80% sure I will be attending Scripps in the fall for a chemistry PhD. I have begun looking at appartments and was wondering:

[A] where do most graduate students live?

where I can find a nice one bedroom for no more than $1250/mo

[C] what the commute from that place would be like?

further, anything I should know about grad student life would be immensely appreciated. I know Scripps is not for everyone, but I am pretty sure I'll make a good fit.

Much appreciated!

I'll probably see you there! I'm 90% sure I'll be picking Scripps.

I don't know all the answers to your questions, but I did ask some grad students similar questions when I was there a couple weeks ago. Apparently a lot of students live in the UTC and PB (pacific beach) areas. Commute will differ, iirc UTC is pretty close to TSRI, but PB is farther away (15 minutes?). No idea about one br appts, I'm planning on going the multiple roommate route.

There is also this great resource: http://education.scripps.edu/files/course_documents/campus_documents/LaJolla_Student_Life_Guide.pdf

[A] where do most graduate students live?

where I can find a nice one bedroom for no more than $1250/mo

[C] what the commute from that place would be like?

I don't know all the answers to your questions, but I did ask some grad students similar questions when I was there a couple weeks ago. Apparently a lot of students live in the UTC and PB (pacific beach) areas. Commute will differ, iirc UTC is pretty close to TSRI, but PB is farther away (15 minutes?). No idea about one br appts, I'm planning on going the multiple roommate route.

There is also this great resource: http://education.scripps.edu/files/course_documents/campus_documents/LaJolla_Student_Life_Guide.pdf

The answer for you guys would be the same for those who attended/ are attending/planning to attend UCSD, since the two campus are pretty close to each other.

A. just like what doyouevenchop says, most students/postdocs at scripps live in the UTC area, since you can take UCSD's city shuttle / metro bus to commute. Now, if you planning to somewhere a bit farther (e.g. PB, Mira Mesa, Sorrento Valley, etc.) then you definitely want to drive, whether that be a car or a motorbike. You can bike too, but it will be quite a distance (uphill if you are going from PB to Scripps)

B. One bedroom, less than $1250, without sharing the rest of the apartment? Almost impossible in big cities within California (i.e. SD, LA, SF, SB, etc.). You can get a studio for about that price, and $1250 for 1 bed is extremely rare. You better bet would be anything between $1350 - $1500 for 1 bedroom. If you don't mind sharing an apartment, then you can get your own bedroom in a 2/2 or 3/2 for anything between $450 - $600; master bedroom is probably anything from $550 - $800.

C) Either 1. UCSD city shuttle, 2. SD MTS Buses, 3. Bike, or 4. Drive

One thing that I do want to point out, is that SDMTS is supposedly building a light rail station on/near the UCSD campus, so that may change the game plan (and rent) to certain extent.

Edited by aberrant

Was anyone else more or less disappointed by the weekend? Maybe I just got unlucky with the grad students that I spoke with, but so many of them just could not hold a conversation about anything but their research. One of them kept telling me about this one HPLC that he needed to run later that night, and I ought to have told him to leave me alone and attend to his work. TSRI grad students seemed to be under much more stress than students at all other programs I've visited. This was the first recruitment weekend that solidly sealed the deal for me, TSRI is not where I want to be.

Was anyone else more or less disappointed by the weekend? Maybe I just got unlucky with the grad students that I spoke with, but so many of them just could not hold a conversation about anything but their research. One of them kept telling me about this one HPLC that he needed to run later that night, and I ought to have told him to leave me alone and attend to his work. TSRI grad students seemed to be under much more stress than students at all other programs I've visited. This was the first recruitment weekend that solidly sealed the deal for me, TSRI is not where I want to be.

Very interesting. I had a completely different experience! Maybe the organic chemists are cooler?

This shouldn't really surprise anyone. The culture around the departments at Scripps and other top universities (Harvard, Berkeley, Stanford, Caltech, and MIT) is fairly well characterized...

Edited by Faraday

Very interesting. I had a completely different experience! Maybe the organic chemists are cooler?

I also had a great time, and I'm chem bio. I talked to grad students from a ton of labs and had good conversations about a wide range of topics. But I'm also an extrovert. Now if basically had replaced TSRI with Caltech then I would agree with every word.

I also had a great time, and I'm chem bio. I talked to grad students from a ton of labs and had good conversations about a wide range of topics. But I'm also an extrovert. Now if basically had replaced TSRI with Caltech then I would agree with every word.

Yeah, I too am an extrovert. It seemed like TSRI had a very work hard/play hard attitude. Certainly some of the most intelligent and kind grad students I met at all of my visits. Very excited to be a part of the Scripps family and to learn and grow with such a great group of people.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, OChemist said:

Hey @Dibenzofulvene, are you?

Yes, I'm applying to Scripps. I'm interested in organometallic (Engle or Yu's lab). Are you total synthesis?

Scripps is one of my top choices. I love the atmosphere and that the graduate experience is different from that of a traditional university. 

Me too! Scripps is one of my top choices for the same reasons. I think it would offer one of the best trainings I could possibly wish for.

I am totally total synthesis, interested in research by Baran, Boger and Roush (even though he's in FL and I would prefer to go to CA). Engle does some pretty interesting stuff though. It is actually hard to choose from among all of the options. I have a friend who works in C-H activation and would really like to work at Yu's lab after he finishes his PhD... 

Hope it works out for us!

Here I am obsessing over checking my e-mails for the last two weeks. Really discouraged at this point though. I think Scripps mostly finishes their interview invites by early January. No joy for me I think... :(

• 1 month later...

Hello guys!  I'm an international who's invited for the interview weekend (they offered to fly me out from Europe!).  Does anybody know how competitive it is for internationals as compared to domestics?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I'll be choosing Scripps La Jolla. Great campus and I got along well with my lab of interest. The only reason I would decline is if I was denied a spot in the lab. 

The visit weekend was great, talked to a lot of faculty. I wish that Baran was a bit more involved in the weekend but I know he functions his lab differently. 

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I want to apply for the Scripps, and know your scores of the test, like GRE(General, and Subject, if applicable), and TOEFL, if applicable.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 years later...
On 3/9/2015 at 12:40 AM, doyouevenchop said:

The link is now out. Does anyone know other resources link of scripps?