Email to check on the status of my application?

grad_fish

Hey everyone,

I need to figure out if I am being annoying or not.  Is it ok to email my potential adviser, and check on my admission status?  I found out I made the finalist round over a month ago, and I have not heard anything back.  He felt like I would be admitted, but since it's been so long I'm starting to worry.  Any thoughts?  I was supposed to find out late Feb/early March. 

Also, here is a sample of my email:

Good Morning Dr. XXXXXX,

I hope that my email finds you doing well and surviving the numerous winter storms.  I just wanted to touch base with you and see if you have heard anything about the status of admissions.  It has been over a month since I have heard anything; I found out on February 6th that I made the finalist round, and I sent in all of my official transcripts the following week.  I apologize if I am being bothersome, but I a very curious to know the status of my admission.  

Thanks, and have a great day!

-Me

I think at this point it probably won't hurt to email, especially since they told you that you were on the short list and it's been over a month of no communication. I don't think that this one email will push you from finalist to rejected immediately - especially if you haven't emailed numerous times for updates already (your post makes it seem like you haven't talked to anyone since 2/6 and haven't tried to contact anyone). Personally, I wouldn't apologize at the end there and would instead say something like "I'm very excited about the possibility of attending XX university or working with Dr. XX so I appreciate you taking the time to give me an update, as I'm surely not the only candidate emailing about decisions at this point."

Is there a reason you need to know now? Is there another deadline you have to meet prior to April 15?

If so, then mention it in your email. Ask for an update because you need to make a decision on another school by X date.

If not, then don't send this email. 

Is there a reason you need to know now? Is there another deadline you have to meet prior to April 15?

If so, then mention it in your email. Ask for an update because you need to make a decision on another school by X date.

So then it is acceptable after some acceptances to mention them in an email that is requesting your status?

I don't want the response to be "fine, go there then".

I agree

So then it is acceptable after some acceptances to mention them in an email that is requesting your status?

I don't want the response to be "fine, go there then".

Only if e.g. School B requires you to make a decision by a certain date, and that date is coming up, so that they know there is a deadline coming up, then you should email School A to request your status (and let them know that B has a deadline coming up). If the other acceptances say April 15, then there's no point to email to request your status.

If you don't send the email, then you have to either choose B without knowing the result from A, or decline B and hope A accepts you (and risk not getting an offer from A). If you send the email and know for sure you won't get to go to A (e.g. they say "fine, go to B then"), then you know that you are not missing out on A when you choose B!

I'd just send this:

Good Morning Dr. XXXXXX,

I just wanted to touch base with you and see if you have heard anything about the status of admissions.  I found out on February 6th that I made the finalist round, and I sent in all of my official transcripts the following week but have yet to hear anything since. 

Thanks, and have a great day!

-Me

It's quick and to the point.