Funding package tied to high GPA - Is it unusually high?

Got a great funding package for the first year but have to finish year one with a 3.75 GPA to keep package for second year. Question - Is this an unusually high GPA requirement? I ask because it's much higher than other offers I've received.  Thanks!

this doesn't seem that high. once you get to grad school, all of the classes are in your wheelhouse, so it's common to finish with a high gpa. I finished my MS with a 3.95.

it is, though, unusual that they tied your fellowship to your GPA. none of my offers had such specific contingencies. 

Whether or not it's reason to worry really comes down to how confident you are you will maintain your GPA above that level. If you think it's likely you will struggle to, I would hesitate to accept the offer.

I think it is a little high but definitely not unreasonably high. At my last school, the minimum passing grade is a B- so it makes sense that an academic funding package would require you to do better than the minimum. In addition, it would be worrisome for a grad student to be barely making the minimum passing grade in all of their courses.

Also, as others said, grading at the graduate level is different. I would say that the "average" grade in my program is A- (3.7). If you underperformed in a course, you might end up with a B+, if you did well then you get an A, and if you do really really well, then A+. Our professors tell us that we should aim for a A- average!

Thanks everyone for your perspective.  I've maintained a high GPA throughout undergrad and I am confident in my ability, however, getting a good grade is't solely dependent on my doing the best I can; there are variables that are out of my control - how tough a grader the prof is, how helpful/understanding he is, whether or not he likes you and is professional enough not to let his feelings get in the way of grading you fairly.  It's THESE variables that make me a bit nervous about having a whole year's expenses hang on the GPA.

Guess I'm in the right forum - decisions, decisions:)

Thanks again!  Good luck to all of you confronted with difficult decisions

Thanks everyone for your perspective.  I've maintained a high GPA throughout undergrad and I am confident in my ability, however, getting a good grade is't solely dependent on my doing the best I can; there are variables that are out of my control - how tough a grader the prof is, how helpful/understanding he is, whether or not he likes you and is professional enough not to let his feelings get in the way of grading you fairly.  It's THESE variables that make me a bit nervous about having a whole year's expenses hang on the GPA.

Something about this rubs me the wrong way. It's important that - particularly in graduate school - you acknowledge that for the most part, the grade you receive is mostly a result of your own effort and performance in the course. Whether or not the professor likes you rarely has an effect on the grade you get, especially on the graduate level. The vast majority of your GPA is in your own control, and the relatively small number of unprofessional professors or snafus is unlikely to make the difference between a 3.75 and below that on the graduate level.