Negotiate funding?

Cézanne

I am not sure if this topic has been discussed elsewhere, but does anybody have advice regarding funding negotiations for Philosophy PhD programs?

I know universities probably don't get wiggle room when they make their offers. However, I have been accepted to several schools. All but one have offered funding around $23,000 (with tuition + health insurance). However, I nabbed a fellowship at another institution for a total stipend of around $33,000 per year (also with tuition and insurance). I know I won't get these other schools to go up that high, but is it worth asking? Or do I just risk losing the offer altogether, or starting my relationship with the university off on the wrong foot?

Has anybody had success in negotiating their funding offer?

Have you read Eric Schwitzgebel's advice for applying to PhD programs? He mentions this in part VII, saying:

"Don't expect too much wiggle room in negotiations about funding. But if a comparable department is offering you a better package than the school that would otherwise be your first choice, it can't hurt to politely mention that fact to the chair of the admissions committee."

I wouldn't be worried about them revoking the offer. You could just mention that it's a difficult decision because another school offered you more, and if they have the funding and really really want you, they may increase their offer. If not, they would probably say to just let them know when you've decided.