The Wait is Getting Scary, Now

SuitCoatMan

First of all: Congratulations to Hani2015!!!! Great to see one of us having some luck. You deserve this and I am very happy for you!! You must be so excited!

I am still hoping on that last school that hasn't reached any decisions yet. And if that doesn't pan out then I will try again next year. I will retake the GRE, work part time in a coffee shop or something while I volunteer in a lab somewhere.

Thanks for the kind words. I won't give up!

Thank you so much.

I'm definitely excited. Al least I secured an offer, and waiting for other schools 

I wish the best for you guys.

Edited by Hani2015

I contacted Iowa State University.

I have been recommended for admission by the department.

How did you go about contacting them? I sent an email and one replied with "they should be finished by the end of March" and the other is just radio silence.

How did you go about contacting them? I sent an email and one replied with "they should be finished by the end of March" and the other is just radio silence.

Is your major civil engineering ?

If so, contact the department and ask about your admission status.

That's what I have done. Also they said you should recieve email by next week.

Edited by Hani2015

No, this is not true.  Some universities have not made any decisions yet or are still considering a second or third wave of applications.  So there is still hope, even if chances do go down as time progresses.

Sometimes, however,  you might have been placed on a "secret" waitlist and are not notified of its existence.  I had to inquire about my application in order to find out about my waitlist status. 

I think this is exactly the case/cases for people who are still waiting. No notice from schools=no rejections so far=better chance to get in bc you've made it through the first round.

So be patient, for life is testing your heart.  :)

I think it is reasonable to contact your POI directly if you can package it in with a burning question, "in the event that I'm still under consideration, I want to ask about [blah]." I think it's a good way to gauge your candidacy without sounding desperate or pushy and it bypasses any potential miscommunications from an administrator. I recommend doing this via email so that the POI isn't caught off guard or thrown on the spot.

I would not recommend sending emails to ask about the decisions because showing that you're worried/care about it does not in any ways help with the decision process, and it only creates more work for the person who gets the email. Not that avoiding doing so may give you a better chance either....

But for me, i just think I'd feel very bad for bothering people in the admission offices. They say they get hundreds of emails daily, so I'd like to be respectful and patient...

Same hear. I applied 10 schools, and I got one admission and 4 rejections. But I still did not hear back from the rest of schools I applied. I am getting so impatient. Should I email the department to ask for my status? 

I think you should email your POI, they will give you an update.. that's what happened to me. One told me i am on the waitlist and another told me i will receive an offer.

Still waiting to hear back on interviews from 2 weeks ago and have 2 interviews next week. I'm sick of waiting I just want this process to be over. It takes way too long. 

Sounds like you will be paid as a research assistant... or just work for your prof and get paid.

I submitted a letter with the application from my empolyer that he will pay everything.

I do not think the university will pay me. It may be just teaching because I have teaching experience.

I've just got an email from WSU telling me I'm rejected.

It was expected for several reasons:

1- My research area does not fit with department's research areas.

2- I applied because I saw one prof. has a similar research area in her profile. I contacted her, she said to me I do not hire students (I did not understand her reply. I do not know  what does "hire" mean ?I thought she misunderstood me because for me, "hire" means I'm looking for job)

Emails after mid-night are almost rejections as I see from others.

Edited by Hani2015

starting to feel insecure about myself and my application :( still haven't heard back from 3 schools, although i saw a few accepted results for one of them. second year applicant with a whole lot more experience and an assistant license related to the field.  :unsure:  :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting for the official confirmation. I've been selected already from the selection process and was included in the main list. But nowadays, I'm still paranoid of waiting for the official confirmation in which supposed to be still on May 15th  :( . I need more patience 

Still waiting on 1 school after interview and don't want to email to find out the status cuz I'm afraid my impatience would lead to a rejection.............(which my alter ego says won't happen)

Edited by TheChai

I know it is either today or tomorrow that will determine my next 4-5 years and it is getting harder to wait, I feel my tolerance level is much lower as well. 

“Some people would tell you that it's impossible for you to become successful in your line of passion. But don't be distracted by them because it is only you that need to believe in your dream in order for it to manifest. The vindication of your success doesn't need the whole world or anybody to cosign your passion for you.” 
― Edmond Mbiaka

I am waiting to hear back from my first choice school. It's a small college, and kind of fills a niche, but it is perfect for my research and I just love it. I know we all feel that way about one school or another. 

Anyway, the deadline for applications was Feb. 15th. We were to hear something 4-5 weeks after the deadline. At this point, I have heard nothing. It's been utter radio silence. I did email the college admissions office and spoke to the graduate admissions officer towards the end of March and she said I would hear through the usual channels when the admissions committee has made a decision and that there was nothing yet. The school does not have a very robust online platform, and there is nowhere to see where my application is at in the process. 

I don't know what to do. I am not keen on hounding this lady. But I do need to know so that I can make some informed decisions. Would it be inappropriate to ask when I might expect to hear something from this school? Should I contact the graduate coordinator? I don't want to say that I have other offers because I feel like that might come across as pressuring them. 

I called the admissions office just now. I sort of buckled. I said I wasn't going to do it, and then I did. I stumbled over myself in asking when I might hear anything and she said not for at least another week or two. There is hope. 

I won't call again though. She seemed to wonder why I was calling her. 

Well at least you know still in the running, supposed to hear by today for my last and top choice the hours are getting late. . . 

. . . but like you I don't want to call/email I did earlier this week and they said by the end of the week.

Staying positive though 

It's 4 days till the response deadline and I'm still waiting on a school that I've interviewed with...

Sent email to department director on Thursday and she didn't email me back....

Might throw a phone call on Monday and then I have to mail my response to another school right away.

If the offer stands open till the 15th and the response has to be sent by mail instead of online, does that mean I have to mail it and make sure it arrives before/on the 15th, or can I mail it on the 15th and have it arrive 2 days later?