What Would You Change About Your Application Process Now?

This post is by no means intended to make others feel bad their applications, but rather to learn more about the whole application process and possibly help some others out. Is there anything that you wish you could change now about your applications, or the process you went through?

As it stands now, I have been rejected from 5 out of my 12 of the programs to which I applied  and my chances are not looking too good for the rest. I wish I could change the following:

1. My quant GRE score--It is incredibly low (I took the test twice). I was told by POIs at some of the prospective programs that the scores should be better or there is a chance that the rest my application will not even be considered.

I do have a learning disability with math, but I should have worked more to get the score up, at least a little bit.

2. Apply to less PhD programs. My undergraduate psychology advisors told me that I have had a lot more experiences than most people coming out of undergrad, so I was a good candidate. After learning of Grad Café, I am realizing my research experiences (which has mostly been 3 years of data entry and conference presentations over someone else’s research) at my small university are not as competitive as many of the other applicants here.

I am now being told that maybe aiming for the Master’s level to get more research experience, which, in turn, would help me get into doctoral programs. I wish I would have thought of this sooner.

3.  Statements of Purpose. I thought they were awesome for each school back when I was writing them, but now I think that I talked too much about why I am good candidate for graduate school in general rather than why I am a great fit for the specific program.

Other than these things, I feel happy with my applications. What about you?

Edited by JLS912

I'd pick some different programs. I'm more certain of my interests now, and some of the programs I applied to don't do anything like that. Others, I passed over for reasons I kind of regret now. I'd also apply to more reaches if I were doing it again. But, I think I know where I will attend in the fall, and I'm very excited about it, so it turned out alright.

As for my application materials, the only thing I'd really change is writing my SOP to be more focused. But that's based on more reflection about my interests, and what I wrote at the time was completely honest and accurate about how I felt then, so it's not really something to regret. I wish I'd started studying a little earlier for the subject GRE, and if I were writing it again I would definitely focus my time differently.

For UIUC, I wrote my SOP to highlight my status as a first-gen college student. Then, I decided that came off as whiny (not to mention redundant since they ask you on the app) and ditched the paragraph for all of my other SOPs in favor of focusing on my research interests. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that UIUC is the only school to accept me so far. 

Ivy-League rock stars with heaps of research experience don't necessarily need to resort to this tactic, I think, but for folks coming from unknown schools - do it. Adcomms are more liable to take a chance with you if they see that you overcame some kind of barrier. 

Edited by TXInstrument11

(1) Apply to programs with an applied emphasis. Such programs align better with my background and career goals. 

(2) Factor location more into the application process. That way, if I end up being part of the 50% who drop or fail out or if the job market gets any worse and I end up being unemployed with a PhD, at least I could look back on it as an excuse to live somewhere awesome (I know! Awful to say... but you never know what life throws at you)

Edited by TheMercySeat

1. Took the GRE more seriously. My quantitative score was not good. I had to scratch a few programs off my list because of cut-offs and I think it really hurt my chances with the ones I did apply to.

2. Applied to more programs. I didn't really have a choice because finances played a major part in my decision to only apply to seven programs, but I think I could have figured something out. I also wish that I hadn't restricted my search geographically. 

3. My SOP. I wish I'd spent more time discussing why I was a good fit for each program, been clearer about my research interests, and clarified my future goals.

All that being said, this cycle was really an eye-opener for me and I think I'll be much better prepared the next time around, whether that's this fall or after my masters.

I wish I would have studied for and taken the GRE over the summer instead of trying to do it in October. I didn't take it as seriously as I should have, and I think it cost me an acceptance or two.

I second this. I definitely would've taken it in the summer. Studying for GRE/taking classes at the same was a bad move (for me personally) because I got super lazy and pushed it off.

I would've applied to less programs, and also ones that had research that really matched my interests (I now am more sure of what I want).

I also would've emailed POIs at the universities, trying to get in touch/asking if they're taking students. I only did this for one school, but it really helped me learn a few things about my POI early in the process. So for that reason, I would've done it for the other schools as well.

I'd pick some different programs. I'm more certain of my interests now, and some of the programs I applied to don't do anything like that. Others, I passed over for reasons I kind of regret now.

Good point. Early on in the process, I was just eager to get into school somewhere, so I was applying at places that, had I looked more closely, I would have realized that I was not a good fit. I also passed on a few places that would have been great fits, but non-academic reasons biased me to not apply. :(

Ivy-League rock stars with heaps of research experience don't necessarily need to resort to this tactic, I think, but for folks coming from unknown schools - do it. Adcomms are more liable to take a chance with you if they see that you overcame some kind of barrier. 

This is a little nugget of gold that I think many should consider. I, too, am first-gen and have had a rough schooling experience that may have helped me if I would have flushed that out more in my SOP.

(2) Factor location more into the application process. That way, if I end up being part of the 50% who drop or fail out or if the job market gets any worse and I end up being unemployed with a PhD, at least I could look back on it as an excuse to live somewhere awesome (I know! Awful to say... but you never know what life throws at you)

A good point, actually... I had never thought of this.

Interesting posts so far.  it looks like a lot of us would wish we could change GRE and SOP things for the most part.  It's rough the first time around, though, because it's hard to know exactly what to expect until one has been through the process.  I was fortunate to have some good advice going into this process from undergrad faculty, but it is still hard because many of them have not been through the process in years and do not take on grad students at my small school, so times have changed for them. If I get rejected across the board, I will certainly do things differently next round.

This was my second round applying. All of my application materials were much better this round! I received six on-site interviews (three of which I was waitlisted). This may not sound like many to some, but considering I received ZERO interviews last year, I was pleased. My primary regret this round is that I didn't properly prepare for my interviews. I was very nervous and awkward which is why I probably only received offers from three interviews. I tried the "be yourself" thing. POIs saw that I was my own person with my own research goals that did not 100% overlap with theirs. Some POIs told me they liked this, others conveyed that they "preferred" students with better research fit. I think after all is said and done, it worked out best for me; however, having more options in selecting programs would have been nice. One the graduate students from a program I was waitlisted told me I should have put their program as #1 and completely wanted to do the POI's research and then change my interests once I actually got accepted and started the program... okay, lying is a great way to start grad school?...  If I were to do this again (which I'm not, accepted an offer), I would request informal phone/video interviews with potential POIs BEFORE submitting an application to see how much I would have liked them. Although unorthodox, I think many POIs would be open to this (just be careful to not come off stalker-ish). This could also be accomplished by briefly meeting at a professional conference for coffee. Doing so you would give you a glimpse into your research compatibility with the POI (how much overlap you have and what is needed for this POI), what they value in a student (grades, GRE, experience, ethics, etc.), and probably most important their mentoring style (hands-off, helicopter, encouraging of risky research, wants you to be a carbon copy of them, etc.). From there, I would have only applied to POIs/programs I felt really good about. That would have save me ALOT of money, and it would give you an advantage when applying (pleasantly pairing a real face with an application) against the competition. Also, you can still be yourself without comprising your research interests to just get accepted. Hope this is somewhat helpful for those reapplying next year. Best wishes.

btw-gpa/gre are not everything! I'm have low of both (3.2 gpa at a state school, no honors/thesis, both GRE scores between 56th and 60th percentile). All my interviews were at the top 20-30 fully funded social psych programs. It seems you just need the bare minimum grades/scores (varies by program and professor) to have you application considered. It's what is on the application (not gpa/scores) that get you invited to interview.

Edited by Mastershaakti

I tried the "be yourself" thing. POIs saw that I was my own person with my own research goals that did not 100% overlap with theirs. Some POIs told me they liked this, others conveyed that they "preferred" students with better research fit. I think after all is said and done, it worked out best for me; however, having more options in selecting programs would have been nice. One the graduate students from a program I was waitlisted told me I should have put their program as #1 and completely wanted to do the POI's research and then change my interests once I actually got accepted and started the program... okay, lying is a great way to start grad school?... 

Related personal anecdote: I had a couple video calls with the POI from one of my top choices in between application submission and school decisions. It was a good chance to talk more about what my future plans were and ask this person what their future plans were. We actually meshed really well, had some great conversations and I think our personalities would have lined up perfectly. BUT, the more we talked, the more we realized our interests didn't align as well as we had thought in emails. Am I bummed it cost me one of my top choices? Yes. Am I bummed I'm not going to be able to work with someone who I seemed to get along with better than a lot of people? Yes. Do I think it was a good idea for me to be honest? Absolutely. I don't want to fake it through 5-6 years of graduate school. I want to do what I'm interested in. A Ph.D. doesn't do me any good if it trains me for something I don't care about. I can do something I don't care about without 5-6 years of additional school, moving to a new place, etc.

So anyway. That's my rambling. Unless someone's goal is "I want a Ph.D. from NameBrand University" I can't imagine lying would be a good option.

In all of my interviews I was 100% honest. After every interview I wrote down things I liked and things I didn't like about the supervisor. And, the programs where I didn't feel a connection with the supervisor, or had many cons about their style, I was wait listed. The ones where I felt like everything that was said was consistent with me, I was accepted.

I think sometimes we forget that we are also interviewing our POI. Instead of changing your mind so you fit the program or your supervisor, find a program that fits to you.

At the end of an interview with the DCT at a program I was accepted to, she stated that she was amazed at how similar in personality I am to my POI.

If you are honest you are much more likely to find a perfect match in every aspect, and even if you are nervous you are still able to just be yourself.

It's easy to say in retrospect that I would have applied only to the program that I've decided to attend....but since we can't actually do that, I would probably have more confidence in myself and apply to more PhDs and PsyDs. I focused mostly on Masters programs even though I knew I wanted my PhD in the end..and I was accepted into the only doctoral program I applied to! 

It's easy to say in retrospect that I would have applied only to the program that I've decided to attend....but since we can't actually do that, I would probably have more confidence in myself and apply to more PhDs and PsyDs. I focused mostly on Masters programs even though I knew I wanted my PhD in the end..and I was accepted into the only doctoral program I applied to! 

I certainly hope it works out for you :)

One the graduate students from a program I was waitlisted told me I should have put their program as #1 and completely wanted to do the POI's research and then change my interests once I actually got accepted and started the program... okay, lying is a great way to start grad school?..

That sort of surprises me that someone would suggest lying, but I do see the temptation when sitting directly across from a POI that one really respects. Should I be fortunate enough to receive an interview this late in the game, I will remember to be myself.  As someone else said, I don't think faking it is worth it in the long-run