Live by yourself or find a roommate in the program?? sugestions?

Thank you for asking this! I'm wondering the same thing. I'm sure I have okay credit, but it's definitely not amazing. I'll also be paying for everything with loans, and I don't know how landlords will look at that...

I paid my rent the last three years with my loan money (ouch $). Don't quote me, but I think it is really dependent on the landlord whether or not they are okay with people with little to no income, despite having loan money. I too will be finding an apartment to rent and I will not be working while in grad school. I know many places will ask for a reference from previous landlords to see if you were a trustworthy tenant. I've also came across some places that have a minimum income level required in order to live at them. 

As far as the credit goes, I'm not too sure. I never had a credit check done on me in the last three years of renting. That may vary from place to place as well! 

I'm stuck with a roommate (husband) who most days I love dearly but right now I would consider switching him for a different roommate ha. #being married ugh ha

I'm stuck with a roommate (husband) who most days I love dearly but right now I would consider switching him for a different roommate ha. #being married ugh ha

Lmao!!

I was thinking about it and I would imagine that apartment buildings located near universities would be somewhat used to this kind of thing so hopefully it won't be too hard of a process. I'm thinking of visiting the campus and asking the current grad students where they live.

Is anyone familiar with getting apartments with less than stellar credit? Do grad students typically need a cosigner? I likely won't be working while in school so I'm not sure how desirable of a tenant I would be

I've rented before with poor credit. If you go through student housing locations, you'll find more flexibility with them. Most of the time, when they do a credit check, they care less about the credit score. They're looking for housing problems (i.e. evictions, late payments, etc.). I'm renting a place right now. Luckily the person I'm renting with has amazing credit. So, even if they needed a specific credit score to rent the space, he was already here. I just added my income in as well.

The biggest concern was proving my income when it was through the student loans. There was a question on whether that was a viable income. However, the leasing company was okay with it. Which is another reason why I suggest going through student housing sources. Several landlords will specifically rent out to students around campuses. There's a huge market for it. And they particularly love grad students due to the responsibility/maturity levels. 

I've rented before with poor credit. If you go through student housing locations, you'll find more flexibility with them. Most of the time, when they do a credit check, they care less about the credit score. They're looking for housing problems (i.e. evictions, late payments, etc.). I'm renting a place right now. Luckily the person I'm renting with has amazing credit. So, even if they needed a specific credit score to rent the space, he was already here. I just added my income in as well.

The biggest concern was proving my income when it was through the student loans. There was a question on whether that was a viable income. However, the leasing company was okay with it. Which is another reason why I suggest going through student housing sources. Several landlords will specifically rent out to students around campuses. There's a huge market for it. And they particularly love grad students due to the responsibility/maturity levels.

Awesome advice, thanks! I'll have to look into that. :-)